3.1.7 prerelease

12 views
Skip to first unread message

Ben Gras

unread,
Jun 3, 2010, 8:03:36 AM6/3/10
to minix3
Despite a few known bugs, there is a prerelease of 3.1.7 up on
http://www.minix3.org/download/. It's currently just a humble snapshot
of trunk, but the branch in svn has been made, it'll only receive
bugfixes from now on.

Roman Ignatov

unread,
Jun 3, 2010, 8:22:52 AM6/3/10
to minix3
Congratulations! :) Downloading now!

Roman

Colin Fowler

unread,
Jun 3, 2010, 11:53:57 AM6/3/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Well done Ben :)

Thomas Cort

unread,
Jun 4, 2010, 2:12:20 PM6/4/10
to minix3
I tested it on real hardware, and it worked. I did a full install on
an IBM ThinkCentre S51 8173 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1GB
RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-ROM, PCI NIC (TP-LINK TG-3269 -- Realtek 8169 chip
set). I built and ran all of tests in /usr/src/test. They all printed
'ok'. I installed and used some software via packman without any
problems (gcc, binutils, openssh, nano, less, subversion).

--
Thomas

On Jun 3, 8:03 am, Ben Gras <b...@few.vu.nl> wrote:
> Despite a few known bugs, there is a prerelease of 3.1.7 up onhttp://www.minix3.org/download/. It's currently just a humble snapshot

Colin Fowler

unread,
Jun 4, 2010, 2:15:40 PM6/4/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Working AOK on real hardware here too. Q6600 with TG3 and 8139 Network
cards.

Colin

Larson, Timothy E.

unread,
Jun 4, 2010, 2:28:23 PM6/4/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to give it a try on my troublesome Dell.

Tim

--
Tim Larson
App Admin, Intercall Production Services

Stefano Cordio

unread,
Jun 5, 2010, 12:27:30 PM6/5/10
to minix3
Tested on Intel Pentium III 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 12 GB HD, DVD-ROM,
NIC with Realtek 8139 chip (I will try with two cards of this type).
It works great!

Stefano

Antoine LECA

unread,
Jun 8, 2010, 10:56:48 AM6/8/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Ben Gras wrote:
> Despite a few known bugs, there is a prerelease of 3.1.7 up on
> http://www.minix3.org/download/.

Great! Works here both on the problematic Dell and also on my old
workhorse (Pentium 133, 48 MB RAM). Thumb up!


> It's currently just a humble snapshot of trunk, but the branch
> in svn has been made, it'll only receive bugfixes from now on.

You should probably create a "3.1.7" tag on gforge to mark the specific
bugfixes then; it could perhaps be also useful to list there the "few
known bugs" for us ignorants which are outside the secret ;-).

By the way, I do not understand why the freeze did not encompass all the
features which are still pending? (open bugs, "Help wanted" message from
ast@ on 2010-01-27, http://wiki.minix3.org/en/DocumentationAndPackages)


Antoine

Ben Gras

unread,
Jun 9, 2010, 7:28:50 AM6/9/10
to minix3


> > It's currently just a humble snapshot of trunk, but the branch
> > in svn has been made, it'll only receive bugfixes from now on.
>
> You should probably create a "3.1.7" tag on gforge to mark the specific
> bugfixes then;

Not sure what you mean here - there is a branch, and every commit on
that branch will be a 'non-risky' fix of some kind (a copy of a commit
on trunk fixing the same thing). When the release is made, that'll be
tagged 3.1.7. When significant bugfixes happen, another release might
happen and be called 3.1.7a and tagged as such.

> it could perhaps be also useful to list there the "few
> known bugs" for us ignorants which are outside the secret ;-).

Not sure if this is exhaustive, but top-of-mind for me: one machine
here resets sporadically with trunk; and another machine hangs on
minix shutdown usually. These are most likely minix bugs but seem to
show up only on very specific systems.

> By the way, I do not understand why the freeze did not encompass all the
> features which are still pending? (open bugs, "Help wanted" message from
> ast@ on 2010-01-27,http://wiki.minix3.org/en/DocumentationAndPackages)

The branch is to make a release from trunk as it is, in a releasable
state, and then only do bugfixes on the branch, and keep working on
trunk; it doesn't mean all work is done :)

Antoine LECA

unread,
Jun 9, 2010, 8:00:43 AM6/9/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Ben Gras wrote:
>> You should probably create a "3.1.7" tag on gforge to mark the specific
>> bugfixes then;
>
> Not sure what you mean here - there is a branch, and every commit on
> that branch will be a 'non-risky' fix of some kind (a copy of a commit
> on trunk fixing the same thing).

Sorry for the confusion: I was not speaking about the SVN tree, but
rather about the "tracker" system (bugs, features req, new packages)...
but that 'Tracker' word did not go into my post; I apologize for that.

I hope it makes more sense now.


Antoine

Ben Gras

unread,
Jun 9, 2010, 9:17:58 AM6/9/10
to minix3

> Sorry for the confusion: I was not speaking about the SVN tree, but
> rather about the "tracker" system (bugs, features req, new packages)...
> but that 'Tracker' word did not go into my post; I apologize for that.
>
> I hope it makes more sense now.

Oh, I see what you mean. I've added a 3.1.7 as a 'version' option for
reports.

Ben Gras

unread,
Jun 11, 2010, 8:12:54 AM6/11/10
to minix3
There is a new prerelease online, with packages in the image this
time, with a few bugfixes applied.

Ben Gras

unread,
Jun 16, 2010, 12:23:19 PM6/16/10
to minix3
Well, it's done, the latest 3.1.7 prerelease has been made the
(first :)) final 3.1.7 release. Future releases might be made from
that branch if serious bugs come to light, called 3.1.7a, etc.

Colin Fowler

unread,
Jun 16, 2010, 12:57:16 PM6/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Ben and team I heard the news late last night. :)

Colin

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages