Suggestions for simple projects to change Minix for those learning minix

Daniel Morgan

Sep 23, 2023, 12:08:12 AM9/23/23
to minix3
As a newbie to Minix 3 and The Minix Book 3rd ed, what projects would you consider.?

My first attempt was to the banner of the kernel.

On the Minix 3.1.0 book version, the source is included, and it is at:
/usr/src

Well, the Minix keernel source is at: /usr/src/kernel

So, I looked at main.c and looked for the MINIX text.  Then I put my name afterwards. I used the vi text editor that came with Minix 3.

Then I did a: make.  reboot.  did not work.
Then I did a make clean, then make.  Then a reboot, and it worked.

If there are multiple replies here.  And multiple people making them, then we could add a page on the wiki.

Yeah, there is an ideas page but a lot of those ideas require good experience and knowledge which a newbie does not posses - yet.

Thanks in advance.
- Daniel
danmorg on irc in #minix