Trademark

sealp...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2023, 8:43:07 AM11/8/23
to minix3
Is it allowed to use Minix 3 trademark when continuing the development of the Minix 3 Operating system as a fork?

Vishal Oza

Nov 8, 2023, 9:24:32 AM11/8/23
to min...@googlegroups.com
As I am not a lawyer so I might not have a full legal ground, but I think the BSD licensing would commit the use of the Minix 3 name when continuing the development of the Minix 3 operating system as a fork however I might add some caveats if the fork is never merged back into the main truck but still used comerally.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 7:43 AM sealp...@gmail.com <sealp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it allowed to use Minix 3 trademark when continuing the development of the Minix 3 Operating system as a fork?

Justin Handville

Nov 8, 2023, 10:39:02 AM11/8/23
to minix3
The license is for the source code. It does NOT apply to the trademark. You would need to get specific approval from the trademark owners to use it.

The same goes for any other open source project.

Accellular

Nov 10, 2023, 4:15:44 PM11/10/23
to minix3
Just like I imagined, thank you.