Importing Libpthread

pikpik

Jul 8, 2012, 9:29:33 PM7/8/12
to minix3
Hi,

I'm trying to import libpthread from NetBSD. Because there are many
potential dependencies, I'm wondering what the scope of the port
should be.

While I'm trying to import libpthread as cleanly and fully as
possible, there are many things it currently depends on directly and
indirectly. A few examples are UVM [1][2], sysctl [3][4], and compat
[5][6]. However, a much more minimal port should also be possible.

I'd like to import as much as possible, but I'm concerned that would
take too long to be useful. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you,
pikpik

References

1. UVM manual page: http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?uvm++NetBSD-current
2. UVM FAQ: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/uvm.html
3. sysctl function manual page: http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?sysctl+3+NetBSD-current
4. sysctl variables manual page: http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?sysctl+7+NetBSD-current
5. NetBSD's src/compat: http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/compat/
6. NetBSD's src/sys/compat: http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/compat/

Tom Chandler

Jul 9, 2012, 10:51:55 AM7/9/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand so please explain.  I have been using the pthread package
in pkgin for about 3 years and it is working great.  the only thing I can think
of is that moving pthread from user space to kernel space?

Thankis
Tom C

pikpik

Jul 9, 2012, 12:21:30 PM7/9/12
to minix3
Hi Tom,

On Jul 9, 10:51 am, Tom Chandler wrote:

> I don't understand so please explain.  I have been using the pthread package
> in pkgin for about 3 years and it is working great.  the only thing I can
> think
> of is that moving pthread from user space to kernel space?

Right, the pthread package (GNU Pth) is fine. This is about importing
NetBSD's pthread implementation and providing it via user-space
servers (possibly with some kernel support if absolutely necessary).
This would indeed be the equivalent of a "kernel-space" pthread
implementation for MINIX. This would not replace GNU Pth, but would
hopefully serve as a better threading implementation.

Thank you,
pikpik