The MINIX wiki and wishlist

Alex Vojtko-Proctor

Feb 11, 2021, 5:36:58 AM2/11/21
to minix3
Hello,

The wiki seems pretty outdated in parts, and the fact that it's not accepting self-registrations probably isn't helping matters. Was anything done to curtail spam (e.g. captchas) prior to shutting down registrations completely? Lots of people seem to drop in to the mailing list, make philosophical posts about how excited they are about the fundamentals of Minix, and then disappear without having contributed. Reducing the barriers to entry for this might help breathe a bit more life into Minix in a structured way, rather than relying on devs and money out of nowhere to fix the architectural issues.

Are there any wiki admins who'd be able to create an account for me? I'd like to start by building the wishlist to a state where there's an up-to-date 'one stop shop' for developers and fellow students looking for low-hanging fruit (of which Minix has a decent amount) as well as the most important challenges important for the continuation of the project.

Ideally, this could be integrated with the GitHub issue tracker and milestones, to assure completeness and to avoid duplicated content. Implementing this would require either involvement on the server-side (from whoever's hosting minix3.org? I assume Stichting) or for the wishlist to be deleted altogether and replaced with better usage of the GitHub tracker.

If this is out of place or there are obvious reasons for this not to be done, apologies in advance!

- Alex

Paul Walker

Feb 15, 2021, 4:17:27 AM2/15/21
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

> If this is out of place or there are obvious reasons for this not to be done, apologies in advance!

I’m not a wiki admin, just wanted to say that sounds a great idea. I hope you get chance to do it - some kind of organised “to do” list would be a good way for people to start getting their toes wet.

Paul

Tobias HT

Feb 15, 2021, 5:12:18 AM2/15/21
to min...@googlegroups.com
Actually I've been thinking about it. I wanna start getting involved with Minix but I don't know where to start well. I have the book but I think it has grown out of its age. I'm just generally passionate about Minix and I believe if we start working on it, we can take it to great heights. We just need a bit of organization and roadmap.
If you think you can do it, then by all means you should proceed.

Vishal Oza

Feb 15, 2021, 12:36:10 PM2/15/21
to min...@googlegroups.com
I would like threading support and a better way to connect 2 user processes without going through the kenal other then for initialization and destruction. I would like to build current LLVM/Clang from source