Creating a New Account

Luis henrique bastos tamura

Sep 17, 2021, 7:14:16 PM9/17/21
to minix3
Hello Everyone,

So I saw in the website that I need to do a request to be able to create an
account on Minix, I'd be very thankful is someone could help me with that

stux...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2021, 6:35:16 PM9/18/21
to minix3
Hi Luis,

By "an account on Minix" are you referring to access to the wiki?  If so, please note that those of us working towards reviving the project do not yet have admin access to the wiki.  We're working towards this although it will be a while before everything is settled.  I'm wondering what pages and content were you looking to update?  If not, what exactly did you mean by creating "an account on Minix"?

-stux

Luis henrique bastos tamura

Sep 19, 2021, 9:10:05 PM9/19/21
to min...@googlegroups.com

Hi I meant on the virtual machine minix

stux...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2021, 2:55:33 PM9/20/21
to minix3
Ah! Okay, in that case the answer is simpler:  In the Minix wiki's User's Guide ( https://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=usersguide:start ) there is a page on how to manage (add, update, remove) user accounts:

These are pretty much in line with how users are handled in most unix distributions.  Hope this helps!

-stux

Luis henrique bastos tamura

Sep 20, 2021, 5:35:15 PM9/20/21
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Very Much, It worked !!!

Another question that I have is
do you know a way to change the Kernel from First Come First Served (FCFS) to Shortest Job First?

stux...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 9:45:37 AM9/21/21
to minix3
Hi Luis,

It sounds like you want to customize the scheduler's scheduling algorithm.  Minix's scheduler is interesting in that it allows the scheduling algorithm to reside in user space (and thus be easily replaced by a different scheduling service).  More information can be found here:

I've yet to work with this so I won't be able to provide specific information on how to implement.  The wiki page, however, does link to a paper that details how user space scheduling works in Minix.  Let us know if you have other questions.  You're welcome to visit the IRC channel (listed on the wiki start page).  We'd love to know if you've made progress with your project.

-stux