Helper tests using DSL not executing

Brian McQuay

May 25, 2013, 12:09:44 PM5/25/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com

Aloha,

I'm having a strange problem getting helper tests to actually execute. My test is in tests/helpers/application_helper_test.rb :

require 'test_helper'

describe ApplicationHelper do
  it 'will fail' do
    assert false
  end
end

Trivial yet when run: bundle exec rake TEST=test/helpers/application_helper_test.rb

It doesn't seem to even see the tests: 0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

I have an entire test suite already and the helper tests were working a week ago so I'm a bit baffled as to what happened and how to resolve it. Any ideas?

Brian McQuay

May 25, 2013, 4:38:52 PM5/25/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
I've narrowed this down to the 'it' line. If I raise an exception anywhere outside of an 'it' line the exception is executed. I can even nest describe and context lines and the exception will run. If I put the exception inside the it block it never executes. This code raises an exception:

describe ApplicationHelper do
  describe '#nav_class' do
    context 'fail' do
      raise 'TEST'
      it "must fail" do
        assert fail
      end
    end
  end
end

The following code just returns 0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

describe ApplicationHelper do
  describe '#nav_class' do
    context 'fail' do
      it "must fail" do
        raise 'TEST'
      end
    end
  end
end

Daniel Teixeira

May 25, 2013, 4:55:55 PM5/25/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
Which version of minitest are you using? I get a similar error while running with new minitest version (5.0.1)...

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups minitest-rails group. To post to this group, send email to minites...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to minitest-rail...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/minitest-rails?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "minitest-rails" group.

Daniel Teixeira
(http://www.google.com/profiles/daniel.t.dt)
Rails Developer

Brian McQuay

May 25, 2013, 8:18:03 PM5/25/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
This was on 4.7.4. I just tried upgrading to 5.0.2 but I've got a lot of dependency conflicts. I'm still working through them all so I can't confirm if it still happens on the newer version yet.

Brian McQuay

May 25, 2013, 10:16:14 PM5/25/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
I finally resolved all the dependency issues and can confirm this is still happening with version 5.0.2.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "minitest-rails" group.

Sincerely,
Brian McQuay
CEO / Developer

Brian McQuay

May 28, 2013, 12:01:07 AM5/28/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
Aloha,

I've resolved the issue by backtracking through my git logs and looking at all the Gemfile changes I've made in the past few weeks. I recently added the 'resque_spec' gem which had rspec as a dependency. Removing that gem resolved the problems. Of course it seems obvious in retrospect but minitest and rspec don't play nicely together in the same test.