Miniscope V4 connection problem

Rob Ellingford

Nov 25, 2020, 8:31:02 AM11/25/20
to Miniscope
Hi

I have just tried connecting our newly assembled V4 miniscope to a computer for the first time and it seems like the scope is failing to connect to the DAQ software. I recurrently receive the error message "Miniscope retrieve frame failed" (please see below image). The 3 green LEDs on the DAQ and red LED on the miniscope are lit and it is detected as a device on the computer. I also believe I have the correct deviceID number in the User Config file and the latest version of the software (Open GL = 4.4). Is there any process I may have forgotten to do before connecting the scope?

Many Thanks

Rob
Miniscope issue.png

Eric Melonakos

Nov 25, 2020, 10:26:00 AM11/25/20
to Miniscope
Hi Rob,

This may be a long shot, but did you recently get your DAQ from Open Ephys? They recently sent out an email about a mistake they made that's solved by opening the box and moving the jumper from K1 to K2. I was having a similar issue to you and that fixed it.

Best of luck,

Eric

Daniel Aharoni

Nov 30, 2020, 2:47:22 PM11/30/20
to Miniscope
Hi Rob, has this connection issue been resolve? If not please let me know and we can walk you through some other possible solutions.

Rob Ellingford

Dec 2, 2020, 12:06:57 PM12/2/20
to Miniscope
Hi Both

Sorry for the delay in replying. Our DAQ has a jumper across K2 so I don't think it is the same issue you had Eric but thank you for the suggestion. Daniel, I am attempting to follow the instructions on the GitHub firmware page to program the DAQ box (https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-Cypress-firmware). Is this a mandatory process and could the fact that I am yet to do it the likely reason that the Miniscope is failing to connect? Any other suggestions you have would also be welcome

Best wishes

Rob

Rob Ellingford

Dec 2, 2020, 12:16:03 PM12/2/20
to Miniscope
PS. If it is necessary to programme the DAQ box would you be able to provide some more detailed instructions for step 1 on the linked github instructions as I am unfamiliar with the processes. My understanding is that to programme the DAQ it needs to be booted in EEPROM mde which is achieved by using a jumper on both K2 and K1? If so do we need to supply our own jumper for the additional connection?

William Mau

Dec 2, 2020, 12:16:08 PM12/2/20
to Rob Ellingford, Miniscope
Yes it is mandatory. And it worked instantly for me after I updated the firmware.

Richardson Leão

Dec 2, 2020, 12:35:23 PM12/2/20
to William Mau, Rob Ellingford, Miniscope
Have u tried a different computer? Usb3 is finicky. In our lab (Brazilian coast, 98% humidity), we have only a couple of laptops that have one or 2 ports that give no red screen.

Ian Jones

Jan 6, 2021, 1:48:32 PM1/6/21
to Miniscope
Hello,

Did you ever find a fix for this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing.

Thanks,
Ian

Rob Ellingford

Jan 7, 2021, 6:25:17 AM1/7/21
to Miniscope
Hi Ian

Yes I did, the issue was that I needed to update the Firmware on the DAQ. Try following the tutorial steps in the this link (https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-Cypress-firmware/wiki/Uploading-Firmware-to-DAQ). I would add the following details that aren't specified in the tutorial and took me a little while to figure out.

1) You will need to purchase a shorting link to set up the DAQ for a new firmware upload (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jumpers-shunts/2518682/)
2) Cypress USB Control Center is opened within the EZ USB suite (click the icon of a tree in a blue circle on the toolbar of EZ USB suite)
3) If you don't see Cypress USB Bootloader in control center, check in your device manager whether a device called "Westbridge" is listed under other devices. If so, follow this tutorial (https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Trouble-Shooting-Guide-for-the-FX3-FX3S-CX3-Enumeration/ta-p/248415), after which Cypress USB bootloader should appear in control center. You can then follow the rest of the firmware upload tutorial

Hope it works for you

Rob