V4 frame retrieval error

Jordan Stewart Farrell

Jun 13, 2022, 7:50:52 PM6/13/22
to Miniscope
I bought two of the latest V4 miniscopes (assembled) from open ephys, which I haven't been able to successfully use yet. The latest firmware has been loaded onto my V3.2 DAQs. I have tried multiple combinations of two miniscopes, two USB cables (SS USB), two assembled coaxial cables from open ephys, 2 DAQs, and 2 different PCs. I have 3 green lights and a red light on on the scope not matter the combination, but the software attempts to reconnect to the miniscope and then immediately gives a frame retrieval error - it cycles through this multiple times. The blue LED does not turn on or respond to changes in intensity, while the image just shows the miniscope logo. Changing the device ID doesn't work nor the image compression method. The coax cables I got are 6ft, which worked well for the V3s so I don't imagine that is an issue here. Anything else I should try?
Thanks!

Daniel Aharoni

Jun 13, 2022, 8:05:06 PM6/13/22
to Jordan Stewart Farrell, Miniscope
Hi Jordan,
Just to make sure, are you using the newer version of the Miniscope DAQ software, https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-QT-Software?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM Jordan Stewart Farrell <jsfa...@stanford.edu> wrote:
[...]

Daniel B. Aharoni, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Neurology, UCLA

Jordan Stewart Farrell

Jun 14, 2022, 1:44:17 PM6/14/22
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response! I used the most recent built release version (V1_11, from here https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-QT-Software/releases), extracted it, and ran the .exe. From there I worked from various configuration files and edited them to suit my set-up.

Daniel Aharoni

Jun 16, 2022, 11:42:59 PM6/16/22
to Miniscope
Hi, I have a few more questions:
  1. Is the issue that you are trying to connect to 2 V4 Miniscopes simultaneously? This should still be possible but just want to clarify what the issue actually is.
  2. Can you get the software, using the updated DAQ firmware, to connect and stream data from V3.x Miniscopes?
  3. Can you connect to a webcam or behavioral camera?
  4. Can you post an example config file you are trying to use?

Jordan Stewart Farrell

Jun 20, 2022, 2:59:49 PM6/20/22
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

1. I have not tried that. I was connecting two V4s separately to rule out potential hardware issues.
2. I just tried that and was unable to capture frames from the V3 scopes. I get the same connection issue, but I know my V3 scopes had no problem with the previous firmware/software combo.
3. No problem with webcam.
4. Here is an example config file that I have tried.

Thanks,
Jordan
UserConfigExample_V4_BNO_Miniscope.json

Daniel Aharoni

Jun 22, 2022, 6:39:20 PM6/22/22
to Miniscope
Hey Jordan,
Thanks for the additional information. Not exactly sure what is going on here but the most likely possibility is your DAQs got damaged due to plugging in a shorted coax cable at some point. To make sure this isn't the case, can you try loading up the old firmware, http://miniscope.org/index.php/Software_and_Firmware_Setup, and see if you can connect to V3 Miniscopes using the old DAQ software if you haven't done this already?

I suggest this might be the underlying issue as everything you are seeing can be explained by it and it isn't uncommon for multiple DAQs to all get broken from 1 bad coax cable as you are trying to debug why things aren't working. When designing the DAQ PCB I hadn't really thought of how common an issue this would be and how difficult it can be to track down that it is the source of issues. Sorry about that!!!

Jordan Stewart Farrell

Jun 24, 2022, 10:32:08 AM6/24/22
to Miniscope
Thanks, Daniel. I re-loaded the old firmware and connected the V3 scopes while trying to use the old software. I couldn't get a signal there either, so I suspect you are correct that the DAQ boards must have been damaged at some point. I tested the coax cables I received from open ephys, but there are no shorts, so I'm not sure which device was the culprit. Anyway, I'll order a new DAQ PCB and hope for a better outcome! thanks for the help

Federico Sangiuliano

Jun 26, 2022, 8:33:21 PM6/26/22
to Miniscope
Hi Jordan. If you have the chance, can you take a picture of the DAQ PCB?

Jordan Stewart Farrell

Jun 28, 2022, 5:42:27 PM6/28/22
to Miniscope
No problem - see attached.