Miniscope V4 getting hot, error with frame retrieval and LED not turning on

Alessandro Di Filippo

Feb 15, 2021, 6:39:55 AM2/15/21
to Miniscope
Hi! I recently started using a Miniscope v4, after having used the V3 for a while with good results.
I really appreciate the increased stability and advanced features of the new version, but I started having a few serious issues last week.

Specifically (after 2 successfull recordings):
1) the Miniscope gets hot to the touch, definitely hotter than the V3 to what I was used
2) the official program constanly reports a frame retrieval error
3) LED does not turn on anymore

Of course, 2 and 3 issues constitute the main problem, because they currently make it impossible for me to image.

I tried looking at UCLA Miniscope website and also on this forum, but I could not find a relevant solution.

I got the Miniscope from LabMaker, and after an exchange of email I came to know mine is a version 4.3, for which they are selling an hardware fix:
Based on its documentation, I assume this should not be the reason for my issues, but I would like to hear you opinion to be sure:

Thanks!

Ian Jones

Feb 16, 2021, 10:41:14 AM2/16/21
to Miniscope
Hello,
I got some weird frame retrieval errors when I had my DAQ plugged into a USB 2.0 port. If it isn't already, try plugging your device into a USB 3.0 or higher port on your computer. These ports are the ones with the ss next to the usb trident logo.
Best,
Ian

Daniel Aharoni

Feb 16, 2021, 3:52:35 PM2/16/21
to Miniscope
Hi,
This sounds most likely like an issue with the coax cable running between your Miniscope and DAQ. The included coax cable from LabMaker has a high likelihood of failure near its SMA connector. I suggest reaching out to LabMaker and asking for a full replacement for your coax cable using the proper coax to SMA design.

Alessandro Di Filippo

Feb 16, 2021, 4:32:18 PM2/16/21
to Miniscope
Hi, thanks for the replies.

To answer you:
- I always plug the DAQ into USB 3.0
- I already have the cable replaced by LabMaker: the previous coax cable detached from the SMA connector, after detaching it from the DAQ; I have the problem also with the new one.

Is there a way to check whether the issue is due to the cable? Like checking the voltage, for example?

Federico Sangiuliano

Feb 16, 2021, 5:05:35 PM2/16/21
to Miniscope
Hello Alessandro. If you have a multimeter with continuity test you can test if there is a short circuit between ground and signal. The easiest way to do this is by placing one of the probes in the metallic body of the SMA connector and the other one in the pin inside the barrel. If everything is fine you should measure an open circuit (i.e a very high impedance).

Thank you

Federico

Alessandro Di Filippo

Feb 16, 2021, 5:09:24 PM2/16/21
to Miniscope
Thanks Federico, I will try this tomorrow morning.

I actually ruled out the short-circuit hypothesis because I did not expect the red light on top of the Miniscope to turn on in that case.

Alessandro Di Filippo

Feb 18, 2021, 5:52:05 AM2/18/21
to Miniscope
I checked and there is no short circuit.

I actually ordered a back up in December, to be on the safe side, but LabMaker will not send or replace any Miniscopes until the end of March.

So I was hoping I would have been able to fix this, but I may be forced to go back to Miniscopes v3 because I have animals already implanted.

Thank everybody for the help.

Nate Klett

Mar 3, 2021, 10:10:00 AM3/3/21
to Miniscope
After receiving an assembled v4 from Labmaker (ordered in October 2020, received in February 2021), I tested the miniscope ex vivo, with success.

However, yesterday, I suddenly had the same issue-- red indicator light on, but no signal. After coming across this post, I was convinced that the issue must be due to a problem with the co-axial DAQ cable or SMA connector, but after having our electronics shop re-install a new SMA connector, the problem persisted. After some troubleshooting, I switched the device ID number in the userconfig file from 1 to 0, and now my signal has returned! (I do not understand how it got switched to begin with, but I am glad that I found the problem!)

Alexa Fryc

Feb 15, 2023, 5:32:43 PM2/15/23
to Miniscope
I am working on a Windows 10. I had this exact issue occur, in addition to my software continuously crashing when I tried to run it. Other than making sure that the miniscope deviceID and the camera deviceID are different (one will be 0 and the other 1 most likely), for some reason, pinning the software to the task bar on my desktop seemed to fix this problem. Previously, I was running the .exe file from my downloads as an administrator, which fixed a previous issue I had with compression code compatibility, but then presented this new issue.