commutator

zahra rezaei

Aug 19, 2021, 2:03:33 PM8/19/21
to Miniscope

Hello,
I wonder if anyone has recently contacted DragonFly about their commutators?
More than a week ago I send them an email for a quote for a commutator suitable for using with Miniscope V4 but no answer yet.

Or, if you know any other company from whom I can buy a commutator please let me know.

Thank you.
Zahra

Ana Carolina Bottura de Barros

Aug 19, 2021, 3:37:04 PM8/19/21
to zahra rezaei, Miniscope
We got no response from Dragonfly. So we just got one from Neurotek and so far it has worked quite well.

I think it is not showing on their website but just email them about it.

Cheers,
Ana

Zachary Zeidler

Aug 19, 2021, 5:36:19 PM8/19/21
to Ana Carolina Bottura de Barros, zahra rezaei, Miniscope
A followup question Ana -- did you get a motorized or non-motorized commutator? I'm especially curious how well non-motorized ones work

Ana Carolina Bottura de Barros

Aug 19, 2021, 5:58:17 PM8/19/21
to Zachary Zeidler, zahra rezaei, Miniscope
To be honest, we have just got our hands on it (the non motorised version). I tested that it was fully working with the miniscope (had problems getting a signal with previous ones we tried) but still haven’t had the time to test it on an animal. I plan to do that next week and can update you on that.

Here is a photo of how it looks like:

Gabrielle Siemonsmeier

Aug 20, 2021, 4:34:23 PM8/20/21
to Miniscope
I ordered a commutator from Dragonfly this past July, but it did take a second email to get a response. If I recall correctly the owner told me he'd had to let go of most of his staff since the onset of the pandemic, so I imagine he's just swamped!

zahra rezaei

Aug 20, 2021, 5:04:10 PM8/20/21
to Gabrielle Siemonsmeier, Miniscope
Thanks Gabrielle. Yes, after the second email, they responded to me. The only thing is that I think the price they are asking is too much and it would take 4-6 weeks.
I am going to try the DIY commutator that someone had posted in this group.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Miniscope" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/miniscope/1f423884-2060-444f-905c-2ff59658a26fn%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted

Ana Carolina Bottura de Barros

Nov 30, 2021, 2:20:34 PM11/30/21
to Andrew Hardaway, Miniscope
Hi Andrew,

the commutator works well. We work with mice and they are able to turn the commutator ok. We do get a few disconnection problems which I think are related to the length of the miniscope cable we are using. We could not change that for now but I think that if the cable is a bit shorter (around 1m long) then it should work perfectly. The disconnection does not affect much our task so we can deal with that.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Ana

On 20 Nov 2021, at 16:26, Andrew Hardaway <harda...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ana,

Just a quick question to see how this commutator is working for you? Are you using it with mice or rats?

thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew Hardaway

Dec 2, 2021, 10:03:17 AM12/2/21
to Miniscope
Hi Ana,

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and purchased from Neurotek, - $675 with a 3-4 week lead time. On the miniscope workshop this week they recommended adding some kwik-sil around the coax connection at the miniscope and a little tape to beef it up so that the slip disk turns as opposed to coiling at the miniscope-coax junction. Maybe that would help?

thank you so much!

Andrew