msCam frame retrieve error 3 leds on

Ignacio Marin

Dec 16, 2021, 10:45:43 AM12/16/21
to Miniscope
Hi there,

I am in a big trouble with our V3 miniscope system. I can start recording but after 200-400 seconds it gets blocked with the following message: msCam frame retrieve error! (see attached picture).
The three leds are on. I have changed the computer, resolded all conections, and changed L13 inductor in the DAQ PCB but the problem still remains. Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you very much in advance!!

Best,

Ignacio
msCam frame retrieve error.png

Federico Sangiuliano

Dec 16, 2021, 12:00:27 PM12/16/21
to Miniscope
Hello Ignacio. One question, which DAQ are you using?

Daniel Aharoni

Dec 16, 2021, 12:05:39 PM12/16/21
to Federico Sangiuliano, Miniscope
Hi.
This sounds like there could be some small instability in the system (either miniscope itself, coax cable, daq board, or USB cable) that our old software is not able to recover from.

I suggest switching over to our newer software, https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-QT-Software, as it should be able to recover and reconnect from pretty much all issues.

Ignacio Marin

Jan 12, 2022, 8:53:29 AM1/12/22
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay. I tried with the new software and also a new DAQ board (for V3), new miniscope, new coax cable (with resolded conections), new USB cable, and even a different computer. The problem still remains. I don't know what else to do...
Is it possible that a fail in the miniscope produces some kind of permanent alteration in the DAQ not detectable by the LEDs? Only this could explain why a new DAQ didn't solve the problem even changing the computer.

Thanks and happy new year!

Ignacio

Daniel Aharoni

Jan 24, 2022, 6:02:04 PM1/24/22
to Miniscope
Hi. If the coax cable has a short in it then yes, it can cause the L13 inductor on the DAQ to blow out and damage each DAQ that coax cable gets connected to. Otherwise it really shouldn't be possible. If you think that there is a chance the L13 inductor has been damaged you can search this google group for "L13" for instructions on how to replace it.

Ignacio Marin

Jan 27, 2022, 6:09:15 AM1/27/22
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply and support. Yes, I already mounted a new coax cable resolding all conections and replaced L13 inductor (2 times) but it didn't solve the issue. On the other hand, as far as I know when this piece is damaged it is normally indicated by the third led (it turns off or it flickers), right? It seems that the problem was in my computer, I tried with a different notebook and (by now) the recording is not failing. Does it make sense for you? Until about 1 month ago the system worked perfectly on my computer, should I restore the OS?
Thanks!!

Ignacio