reduce frame rate to less than 10FPS?

Jiaxuan Qi

Sep 29, 2021, 3:24:13 PM9/29/21
to Miniscope
Hi all,

I have a V4 miniscope. For my animals, somehow the signal is super weak and 10FPS during baseplating cannot give me a good field of view of vasculature. My labmates using Inscopix Miniscope usually use 2FPS to better visualized the vasculature and cells during baseplating, however I noticed that I cannot get slower than 10FPS in the ucla miniscope software. I wonder if there is any way to reduce the frame rate to 2FPS? I've tried to change the "frameRate" to "2FPS" in the .json configuration file but that seems not helpful. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Jiaxuan

Federico Sangiuliano

Sep 29, 2021, 3:50:59 PM9/29/21
to Miniscope
Hello Jiaxuan. Just in case, have you tried increasing the gain too before reducing even further the FPS?

Jiaxuan Qi

Sep 29, 2021, 4:00:30 PM9/29/21
to Miniscope
Hi Federico,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I've already increase the gain to the highest and still cannot see good vasculature. In case it was not a *good* animal, I also tried on the inscopix scope with 2FPS and it looked great there. This is the main reason why I want to ask if there is a way to reduce to 2FPS in ucla miniscope software as well. I believe it's not the fault of UCLA miniscope, just my signal is too weak... lol

Best,
Jiaxuan

Daniel Aharoni

Oct 6, 2021, 5:29:41 PM10/6/21
to Miniscope
Hi Jiaxuan,
Make sure you have the newest version of the Miniscope DAQ software (version 1.11) and replace the videoDevices.json file in the "deviceConfigs" folder with the one attached. This should add both a 2FPS and 5FPS option for V4 Miniscopes.

Let me know if you have any issues doing this. Also, I would be very curious to hear if you are now able to see good vasculature now. Let me know once you have tried it.

I will also add these additional FPS options in the next release update of the software.

videoDevices.json