Retrieve frame error even after firmware update

Karolina

May 19, 2021, 1:11:31 PM5/19/21
to Miniscope
Hi I saw quite a few people having issues with the retrieve frame error and I was wondering if anyone still has problems even after updating the firmware?

- I have two brand-new v4 miniscopes from OpenEphys - one I assembled myself and one was pre-assembled.
- I have a v3.2 DAQ that I used with my v3s - I updated the firmware and downloaded the newest software.
- Device Manager recognises it as 'MINISCOPE'.
- All 3 lights on the DAQ come on as well as the red LED on the miniscope.
- I don't use a behaviour camera - I've tried using both the v4+behaviour camera user config and the primary user config.
- Both miniscopes get the same retrieve frame error after connecting with Direct Show.
- I made sure to use a SS USB port (I tried two different ones) and have tried changing the deviceID but then it can't connect at all.
- I use the same DAQ, USB cable, and computer that I used with my v3s and they had no problem then.
- A neighbouring lab has the same problem with their v4 from oeps as well.

Anyone have any advice? This is sadly my last shot to get more data for my PhD.

Thanks,

Karolina

zahra rezaei

May 19, 2021, 3:37:04 PM5/19/21
to Miniscope
Hi Karolina,

Did you try 'deviceID = 0' for miniscope and 'deviceID = 1' for camera?
I am not using behaviour camera either and this worked for me.

Daniel Aharoni

May 25, 2021, 2:43:24 PM5/25/21
to Miniscope
Hi Karolina,
It is very likely that there is just an incorrect setting or a compatibility issue if no combination of both V4's and all 4 DAQs work. The DAQs from OEPS should already come programmed with the most up-to-date software so I would guess that isn't the issue. A few additional things to try and some questions:
  • Just to make sure, are you using the newest version of the Miniscope software: https://github.com/Aharoni-Lab/Miniscope-DAQ-QT-Software/releases/tag/v1.10
  • Is there any chance that the coax cable you are using had a short across it at some point in the past? This can cause a power surge across the L13 inductor on the DAQ. While all 3 LEDs would still look to be on by eye, the data over the coax cable could be corrupted and cause the connection to always fail.
  • Have you tried connecting to other computers? We have heard of 2 cases where there was some weird compatibility issue with a specific computer or driver that did not allow the system to connect.

thomas.p...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 2:07:27 PM6/15/21
to Miniscope
Hello!
Since yesterday I am also getting the retrieve frame error. We ordered several miniscopes from OpenEphys and it seems that if I connect a specific miniscope to our DAQ boxes I get the retrieve frame error and after I unplug it and connect another miniscope it shows the retrieve frame error the whole time. Can the cause be a short across the coax cable that causes a power surge across the L13 inductor on the DAQ as you mentioned above, Daniel? If yes, is this a permanent damage or can this be fixed. We also found that one of the DAQs smelled like if something has burned.

I hope there is a solution to it and that not all of our DAQs got destroyed by it.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

thomas.p...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 2:54:34 PM6/15/21
to Miniscope
Here's an update to my previous post. We tried several computers and it seems every DAQ that was connected to the one miniscope doesn’t work anymore. One DAQ even shows a black dot on the L13 on the micro circuit as if it was burned. Right now I am very worried about working or even connecting other miniscopes to the one DAQ that still seems to work. Is there a way to fix this issue or at least make a test so that we don't damage anymore DAQs?

Daniel Aharoni

Jun 15, 2021, 4:56:32 PM6/15/21
to Miniscope
Hi Thomas,
This definitely sounds like a short in one of your coax cables. To verify this you can use a multimeter in continuity mode and touch both the outer and inner conductor of the coax cable and see if the multimeter beeps (do this with the coax not connected to anything). Usually a short happens at one of the 2 ends of the cable, near the connectors, or along the length if the cable has been significantly damaged. You can try to track down the location of the short, trim that part of the coax cable and then redo the connectors... or just throw the cable away.

The good news is the only thing that likely is damaged, beyond the shorted coax cable, is the L13 inductor on any/all of the DAQs you connected this cable to. You can order new L13 inductors here, https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/CBC3225T101MR/587-1628-1-ND/1008243, and then just replace them on all of your damaged DAQs. This should be a quick and reliable fix to your issue.

thomas.p...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 5:18:39 PM6/15/21
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

thank you very much for your fast response. I'll order the L13 inductors and try to replace them.

Cheers,
Thomas

thomas.p...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2022, 3:36:47 PM7/1/22
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

it's a while ago that I posted in this thread but I'm having troubles with the retrieve frame error again.
I had a cable that was damaged and produced a short. Afterwards, the DAQ box wasn't working anymore and I got a retrieve frame error. I replaced the L13 inductor twice but it's still not working. Do you know if there's another reason why I can't fix this issue?

Thanks,
Thomas

Daniel Aharoni

Aug 15, 2022, 3:03:21 PM8/15/22
to Miniscope
Hi Thomas,
Usually replacing the L13 inductor after a short will fix the DAQ board but possibly the current draw during the short was higher than normal and damaged other components as well. Or maybe the heat it produced damaged the PCB. Not really sure of other options for recovering a DAQ PCB at this point.

Clara Hartmann

Nov 4, 2022, 8:52:05 AM11/4/22
to Miniscope
Hi everyone,
we had the exact same problem with our DAQ boards! From one moment to another they all stopped working and displayed the retrieve frame error. We traced it back to one faulty cable which shorted only when bent in a specific position. We managed to fix the DAQs by replacing the L13 inductor just as Daniel recommended. So thanks a lot for the tip!
Cheers,
Clara