Horizontal noise in image, EWL still works

Eric Melonakos

Aug 17, 2023, 9:16:27 PM8/17/23
to Miniscope
Hi all,

I started seeing noisy horizonal lines across my Miniscope V4 images yesterday (see attached), and I'm not sure what the cause is. The EWL still changes the focal plane, so I don't think it's an EWL issue. The only thing that I can think of is that I wiped the objective lens with an alcohol pad to clean it (while it was still on), but I'm not sure which components besides the EWL would have been affected. Please let me know if there's a known cause/solution for this.

Thanks,

Eric
0.mp4

Eric Melonakos

Sep 1, 2023, 2:36:27 PM9/1/23
to Miniscope
Just to answer my own question, I started powering the DAQ with the DC jack, and it solved the horizontal lines issue. I still don't know what I did to change it, since the USB power was sufficient before. Now, the miniscope gets too hot to hold my finger on the PCB that the coaxial cable connects to for more than 5-10 seconds, and the top PCB gets pretty hot too. (The EWL side isn't as hot.) My hope is that the heat isn't enough to damage the miniscope or affect the animal.

Christopher Fields

Apr 12, 2024, 1:07:33 PMApr 12
to Miniscope
Did you find any resolution to this? I am having the same heat issues.

Eric Melonakos

Apr 12, 2024, 1:21:24 PMApr 12
to Miniscope
No, not for the heat issue. The miniscope kept working fine, though, so I continued using it for experiments.

Nicola Masala

Apr 16, 2024, 7:05:29 PMApr 16
to Miniscope
Hi,
i got the same issue. in my case the coaxial cable was damaged and the short was causing these lines. After changing cable everything was back to normality.
FYI if u have a damaged cable, even if u can get the imaging, there are high chance to deep fry the L13 conductor on the daq board....so be carefull.
Best
Nico