Miniscope recording files frame rate

Albert hiuka fok

Mar 2, 2023, 12:00:58 PM3/2/23
to Miniscope
Hi all,

I have encountered a problem regarding the frame rate of the saved videos. During recording, the frame rate of the v4 minisicope is set to be 30FPS. The behaviour camera is also set to be 30FPS. However, the videos are saved into 60FPS. I couldn't find any specific cause in the user config file. Although it's not really a big deal in terms of data analysis, I wonder if anyone has encountered this issue before? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks a lot,
Albert

Daniel Aharoni

Mar 2, 2023, 3:10:52 PM3/2/23
to Albert hiuka fok, Miniscope
Hi Albert,
The software intentionally sets the playback fps to 60fps, independent of what the actual recording speed was. We do this for 2 reasons:

1. We do not want people to just assume the embedded timing of frames in the Avi files is correct and instead everyone should be using the timestamp data saved in the timestamp files. So the Miniscope DAQ software sets the Avi playback speed to something that is obviously wrong.
2. It is often easier to seen neural dynamics by eye when playing back a recording at a faster rate than it was saved. So we set the playback speed to 60fps to make it easier to see dynamics by eye when quickly looking through your data with any standard video player.

Hope this explains things a bit.