DIY commutator

Evan Hart

Jan 27, 2021, 2:33:42 PM1/27/21
to Miniscope
For anyone who is interested - this may be helpful.

Attached is a guide for building miniscope commutators. We've been using these in operant boxes and mounting them with 3d printed brackets, but everything can be easily modified for what ever.

They can be made for about $30 each using mostly things you probably have on hand already. These have worked very well for us with v3 scopes. We have no problem just plugging rats in and leaving them to image for an hour.
DIY miniscope commutator.docx

Kenneth Dyson

Jan 27, 2021, 2:37:57 PM1/27/21
to mini...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for sharing this Evan!

I will certainly give this a go.

Cheers,

Ken

Richardson Leão

Jan 27, 2021, 2:39:38 PM1/27/21
to Evan Hart, Miniscope
My greatest thanks! People like daniel and you cause way greater impact in the field then those laureates w butterfly ties.

elham ghanbarian

Jan 27, 2021, 4:22:16 PM1/27/21
to Miniscope
Thanks a lot for sharing!
Do you know if it works fine for mice as well?

Elham

Evan Hart

Jan 27, 2021, 4:33:09 PM1/27/21
to Miniscope
I see no reason the commutator itself would not work, but i suspect you'd have to modify things - for example the mass of metal shielding would definitely be too much for a mouse to handle. the slip ring itself does not require much torque (rats have no problem rotating it, but maybe mice would be another story) to rotate, so if you have a way to attach the mouse to it without adding weight i think you could get it to work (never worked with mice myself so take this with a grain of salt...not sure how strong/weak they actually are)

thomas.p...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2021, 6:09:42 PM3/16/21
to Miniscope
Hi Evan,
thanks for sharing this. Did you ever try to use the commutator to image from two animals at the same time?

Cheers,
Thomas

zahra rezaei

Aug 31, 2021, 12:22:38 PM8/31/21
to Miniscope
Hi Evan,

I wonder if you had any problem with voltage loss.
When we connect the commutator to the miniscope, the Data Link LED on the DAQ does not turn on and we get the error that frames cannot be retrieved.
I would appreciate any help to resolve this.

Thanks,
Zahra