saturated image

Shahrzad Shiravi

Aug 5, 2022, 4:40:14 PM8/5/22
to Miniscope
Hi everyone,

I recently assembled a Miniscope and did the initial imaging test. I tried to image a hair on a white screen and it looks like it's working but I can't increase the LED power. Even when I put black tape on the lense and increase the LED power , the image gets all saturated. I have attached pictures of what I see. Does anyone know what that is about?

 Thanks!
Shahrzad
h.png
saturation.png

Federico Sangiuliano

Aug 5, 2022, 5:15:19 PM8/5/22
to Miniscope
Hello Shahrzad. The white screen acting as emission light may be too bright for the Miniscope, hence the saturation. To test that everything works I would use a piece of paper like a Kimwipe.

Thank you

Federico

Shahrzad Shiravi

Aug 8, 2022, 2:21:17 PM8/8/22
to Miniscope
Hi Federico,

Thanks for getting back to me. Actually, the first picture is from a hair on a piece of paper. In The second picture( the saturated one) , I put black tape on the lens and increased the LED power. I think the problem is something else.

Best,
Shahrzad

Federico Sangiuliano

Aug 8, 2022, 2:27:06 PM8/8/22
to Miniscope
Hello Shahrzad. I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are doing. Could you explain why you are putting black tape on the lens?

Shahrzad Shiravi

Aug 8, 2022, 2:51:08 PM8/8/22
to Miniscope

Hi Federico,

Sorry for not being clear enough. First, I imaged a hair on a white piece of paper while the LED power was zero . Then, I realized that I can't increase the LED power as it becomes over saturated. I checked the github and decided to check light leakage. As it recommended on the website, I covered the lens with black tape (so that it was a surface that wouldn't fluoresce). But still, when I increase the LED power to any number higher than zero, the image gets oversaturated. Does this mean that the miniscope has light leakage? Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you.
light.PNG

Daniel Aharoni

Aug 8, 2022, 3:18:05 PM8/8/22
to Shahrzad Shiravi, Miniscope
Hey Shahrzad,
Most V4 Miniscopes experience some small amount of light leakage once you get around an LED power of 65 and a max gain. From your description it sounds like you are seeing substantial light leakage way before this point. My first guess is that your system is completely missing at least one of the optical filters or one of these filters has a large scratch on it.

Daniel B. Aharoni, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Neurology, UCLA