Minisai No 4

r.a.ll...@btinternet.com

May 2, 2019, 5:27:49 PM5/2/19
to Minisail
Hello
My late father used to sail the first kit built Minisail No 4 affectionately called Dumbo
I am eagerly trying to see if she still exists.
She was sold by Dad about 20 years ago in Teignmouth Devon
Has anyone seen or heard of her?
Looking forward to hearing any news
Many thanks
Roger Llewellyn
07910011016

RonnyDG

May 2, 2019, 6:20:14 PM5/2/19
to Minisail
Hello Roger,

A Minisail N°4 submerged on Ebay in 2012. The boat was then in the Edinburgh area and the builder plate indicated a Plycraft built.
I have only one screenshot from back then to be found here: (scroll way down the page).

The daggerboard slot being positioned in the foreward end of the hull is an indication of a very early make. Not sure though if that was "Dumbo", if I remember well there was no name visible on the boat.

Who bought it or what happened with since then it is not known to me. At least any new owner has not contacted the Minisail C.A.

Why not try and ask on the CVRDA forum?

Greetings,
Ronny

r.a.ll...@btinternet.com

May 6, 2019, 10:36:52 AM5/6/19
to Minisail
Hi Ronny
Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.
I will do as you suggest.
It is good to know that she still existed in2012.
I am in the process of buying another wooden hulled Minisail but still eager to find and possibly by No 4!
Many thanks again
Roger Llewellyn
07910011016

r.a.ll...@btinternet.com

May 6, 2019, 10:36:52 AM5/6/19
to Minisail
Hi Ronny
Sorry - are you suggesting that the Minisail at the bottom of your post may have been No 4?
I believe that No 4 had a "handle hole" whereas this one actually has a handle so would not be it unless it has bee modified??
Thanks for your help though - I have applied to join the classic boat group
Much appreciated
Roger

RonnyDG

May 6, 2019, 10:54:19 AM5/6/19
to Minisail
It's some time ago, but yes I recall it having a bronze builderplate "Plycraft n°4"
If your dad's boat had a built-in handle, it's very probable the one I talk about is not that boat.

Roger Llewellyn's

May 6, 2019, 7:56:25 PM5/6/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ronny
Here is my Dad in No 4 in 1962 and you can see the "hole handle" on the bow, so yes maybe the one you saw was not No 4 , which is off if you remember seeing the plate with No 4 on it ( although I must admit I can't remember a plate!)
Thanks for your help
All the best
Roger
image1.jpeg