Help rigging minisail 6905, please!

Tim Chick

Jul 28, 2019, 4:48:19 PM7/28/19
to Minisail
Hi,

I've just bought minisail 6905. It's fibreglass with a cockpit.

I've got a bunch of ropes and pulleys, but no idea what to do with them!

Currently my sailing experience is RYA level 1, so you'll have to go gentle on me!

Has anyone any photos?

Thanks,
Tim

Simon & Tonia Lennane

Jul 28, 2019, 5:35:05 PM7/28/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim

There'll be plenty of people who know much more about minisails along in a bit.
minisail.org.uk seems to be down at present
The ropes should be mainsheet, kicking strap, downhaul (Cunningham), traveller and outhaul.
Kicking strap goes from base of mast to 2 foot or so along the boom.
Downhaul goes from bottom of mast up to front bottom corner of sail (tack).
The outhaul goes from the back corner (clew) around the end of the boom. It may tie off there, or come back to a cleat. Depends on what boat you have & how the mast is rigged.
You'll also need a traveller (horse) which holds the bottom block (pulley) on the back of the boat.
There should be a larger rope, which will be the mainsheet.
There may be a painter, to tie the front of the boat to something.
Can you post a photo?

Simon
currently restoring a Minisprint Mk 1

Tim Chick

Jul 28, 2019, 7:34:58 PM7/28/19
to Minisail
Thanks Simon!

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

My biggest concern is what holds the boom up at the point where it meets the mast?!

Most of the photos have a "ring" on the mast, which the cup of the boom rests on top of.

The main has an eye with a short rope at the tack and clew.

I think the main sheet is as the 2012 yearbook describes - Simple 2:1 purchase aft mainsheet with horse.

Is the horse tightness adjustable? It doesn't seem so?

Thanks,
Tim

Simon & Tonia Lennane

Jul 28, 2019, 8:03:47 PM7/28/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim
Yes mine doesn't have anything on the mast to hold up the gooseneck. Tie a loop around the boom from the tack of the sail. This holds the boom up. If there is a cleat on the mast, go down to that so can tighten the luff (downhaul).
The kicker will then hold the gooseneck against the mast.
Mine is a minisprint mk 1 so the horse goes between 2 fairleads at each aft corner, 1 end has a loop in & the other goes through it and into a cleat at the back of the cockpit. Same as a topper:
I find little need to adjust the horse, wouldn't be a problem just to have 2 knotted ends.
Main sheet will come off becket of bottom block, backwards through the block at end of boom, back & through bottom block running forwards to the helm.
Simon

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/minisail/6312172f-7a34-4e2a-b788-2dfff8f680e3%40googlegroups.com.

RUPERT WHELAN

Tim Chick

Jul 29, 2019, 3:49:04 PM7/29/19
to Minisail
Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure I've got it rigged at least how it was.

The kick strap does not have a pulley at the point it attaches to the hull, and although the horse rope has a loop to rig like a topper, there is no cleat to lock it, so I will just tie it.

I think I'll get a pulley for the kick strap, so I can at least make it 2:1.

I've taken lots of photos, so will upload them somewhere.

Thanks,
Tim

robert baker

Jul 30, 2019, 2:17:06 AM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we could arrange a training weekend at one of the cvrda events?

Simon & Tonia Lennane

Jul 30, 2019, 9:35:41 AM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
This sort of thing is good for the lower kicking strap block:
Then you can pull & cleat it off. On a topper, you can pull hard on the main sheet to get the boom low, and cleat the kicker easily.
Ideally take the kicker to lower mast, stronger than the deck.
to attach to the mast
Simon

RUPERT WHELAN

Jul 30, 2019, 1:24:37 PM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Or at Whitefriars at some point, if wanted.

robert baker

Jul 30, 2019, 1:27:23 PM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested Rupert.

robert baker

Jul 30, 2019, 4:47:52 PM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Looks like main website is down.

Tim Chick

Jul 30, 2019, 5:39:54 PM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Here are the photos:

Yes, there was a pulley with v jammer, which I put on the downhaul, at the bottom. I think the rope should be longer so it can go through the fairlead in the cockpit.

I did it this way, as by the chafing on the kick strap, that's how it had been used.

Is it better to have the double pulley on the kicking strap or the downhaul?

I'm interested in a training weekend!

Thanks,
Tim

Simon & Tonia Lennane

Jul 30, 2019, 6:18:02 PM7/30/19
to mini...@googlegroups.com
Lovely looking boat Tim!
You want most of the purchase on the kicking strap. At present, tying through the block onto the boom isn't doing anything a knot wouldn't do.
The kicking strap gets most adjustment so getting that into the cleat on deck would be good. Downhaul can be considered a "set & forget" control for beginners.
I'd just tie the horse to the 2 fairleads on the stern. A bowline or stopper knot either end would be fine. The bottom mainsheet block should be able to slide along the horse, even a shackle would suffice for this.
A bit of shockcord pulling the 2 toestraps together makes it easier to get your feet under the straps.
Does the block at the end of the boom go further along to the end? Seems like a lot of spare boom if not, and will be hard to get the sail set right. Should be a bit of curve in the sail, about 3-6 inches maximum distance from the boom in the middle is a reasonable starting point. Does the thing the clew outhaul is looped around move?
Simon