Needing Advice on Buying a Minisail

Zoe R

Jun 25, 2022, 4:08:29 PM6/25/22
to Minisail
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I joined because I am thinking of buying a Minisail but I'm not sure where to start. I am from Michigan and found one for sale on Facebook Marketplace but I can't tell if all the parts are there. I wasn't going out looking for a Minisail in particular but it was just what I came across while searching for boats for sale, and I was intrigued.
The boat is a 1983 Minisail and the guy selling it doesn't seem to know much about it. The pictures attached are all that I got from him and he is listing it for $150. If anyone could let me know if there are parts missing or anything that would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to clean a boat up but I don't want something too difficult. Thanks!

robert baker

Jun 26, 2022, 7:53:07 AM6/26/22
to Minisail
Hi Zoe,
There doesn't appear to be any photo's.
Rob

Zoe R

Jun 27, 2022, 2:38:50 PM6/27/22
to Minisail
Hi,
Thanks for the response! So sorry I didn't realize I forgot to attach the photos! I actually ended up getting it yesterday and cleaning it up a bit and it seems I've got a lot of the parts. I just wanted to actually attach some photos now because I am curious what model it is and if it is missing any rigging. I believe it is a 1975.

As for the photo, sorry it is such a far away angle. I also don't have the mainsheet rigged in the photo. I do plan on replacing the lines, I just don't know if I'm missing any in the front or anything. I'm not too sure what the rope hanging from the boom is, the seller wasn't sure either. Overall, any kind of sailing or restoring advice on the Minisail would be great!
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 12.20.03 PM.png

RonnyDG

Jun 27, 2022, 5:08:39 PM6/27/22
to Minisail
Hello Zoe,

As far as I can tell from the picture it's a nice survivor, taken care of and nearly ready to go.
It's a Monaco MkII you have and 1975 would be a good estimate for the built date (might be a few years older, mind there are no records).
https://minisail9000.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/ms-id-guide.jpg

The sail looks new and hardly used. If that's the case more than half of your doubts about maybe having a fun beach boat may disappear; This boat will not disappoint.

Is it complete?

Well for starters I cannot see the daggerboard.
If there is none, you will have to make one. It's made of  3/4 inch ply. A basic layout here:
https://minisail9000.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/daggerboard.jpg

About the rigging spars first:
The picture shows black spars. Over here in Europe these are sign of aluminum black anodized ones. Not sure what the US Minisails (made by Oday) were.
Hard to tell by the picture but I think your boat has what we call a "skinny boom".
Meaning exactly what it says. 36mm diameter if I recall well.
That's fine for a beach boat and a very simple kicking strap going from 1/3 of the boom to the eye cleat (at the mast-foot) will be perfect.
Don't go multiple purchase Laser style vang control with a skinny boom and an original MII eye cleat.

This might get to long.
Have a look at what Rupert Whelan wrote in his excellent 2012 yearbook about sailing and rigging Minisails. It's a good read and explains a lot.
https://minisail9000.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/yearbook-2012.pdf

... Oh yes, never mind the string between the tack of your sail and the middle of the boom, it's useless and shouldn't be there.

Greetings,
Ronny

Denis

Jul 1, 2022, 1:48:22 AM7/1/22
to mini...@googlegroups.com, zoelo...@gmail.com

The site would not post my original email.  It might not like the new address I sent it from.  Trying it again.   d.

Nice boat. Is it wood or fibreglass?  If you ever want to sell it, send me an email.  I will figure out a way to transport it halfway across the continent to Washington State and then on to Vancouver Island.

I have the sad remains of an old wooden hulled Mini.  Sail #2631.   It was given to me 45 years ago when I lived on the prairies.  It was not in good shape then with peeling varnish and a rotten sail which we continued to use held together with duct tape.  But we hauled it around with us on summer vacations and had a ball.  When I moved to Victoria it was stored at a friends (indoors).  When I went to get it it had been moved outdoors and had somewhat melted (see pics).  I cried.   I have held on to the remains now for 25 years- fully intending to use it to help me build a brand new one.   I retire soon (past due) and figured to be able to find the time.  I have the skills and I have the plans that were posted here and to the previous site.  Also, I have  the rudder and dagger board both in excellent shape, the top section of the mast and the boom (anodized gold) and a brand new, slightly larger sail but I am missing the lower section of the mast.  It disappeared in it's travels somewhere along the line.

But I had not realized that there were quite a few boats out there in the US and probably in Canada.  I found half a dozen in a Google search this evening.  The issue is finding one at a good price that is in a convenient enough location that I can go get it or have it shipped.  I intend to look.  But i will probably build one anyway.

I have been following the posts here since 2012.  Great job you guys.

Denis Lummerding
Victoria, British Columbia      Canada

On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 21:08:29 UTC+1 Zoe R wrote:
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I joined because I am thinking of buying a Minisail but I'm not sure where to start. I am from Michigan and found one for sale on Facebook Marketplace but I can't tell if all the parts are there. I wasn't going out looking for a Minisail in particular but it was just what I came across while searching for boats for sale, and I was intrigued.
The boat is a 1983 Minisail and the guy selling it doesn't seem to know much about it. The pictures attached are all that I got from him and he is listing it for $150. If anyone could let me know if there are parts missing or anything that would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to clean a boat up but I don't want something too difficult. Thanks!
MiniSail 1.JPG
MiniSail 2.JPG
MiniSail 3.JPG
MiniSail 4.JPG
MiniSail 5.JPG

Zoe R

Jul 1, 2022, 4:49:52 PM7/1/22
to Minisail
Hello Denis,

I believe the boat is fiberglass.

Also, that story is devastating. I'm sorry, I can't believe it melted.

My minisail has all the proper rigging and I'm in the process of replacing all the lines. This past week I have patched a few small cracks in the hull, which seemed to be the only minor issues with the boat. I took it out yesterday for the first time on the small inland lake by my house, it sailed quite nice, the wind was just weird so it made it a little difficult. I attached two photos (hopefully). I may be interested in selling it, I'm not sure how to individually email you but if you can email me that would be great. Good luck with your build!

--- Zoe

IMG_7385.HEIC
IMG_4923.HEIC