- minikube debug setup -

Andrei Tudor Corduneanu

Jul 6, 2021, 8:55:00 AM7/6/21
to minikube-dev
Hello everybody :)
I just pulled the latest commit of minikube and rebuilt the package.. while the last time it worked smoothly, this time I'm facing some issues, like:
E0706 14:36:43.093406  313925 iso.go:88] Unable to download https://storage.googleapis.com/minikube/iso/minikube-v0.0.0-unset.iso [...] bad response code: 404
I built the binary that produced that error without using the Makefile (go build ).. now that I'm building as described in the documentation it disappeared, but still, there are some other errors and I'm facing some issues in using delve on the binary, like missing sources...I am quite new to GO, so I hope I'm not missing anything.
Now I'm using gdb, and although it took a while to understand GO's symbols.. its working...
But is there a preferred setup to compile/debug minikube?

Andrei Tudor Corduneanu

Jul 7, 2021, 9:59:51 AM7/7/21
to minikube-dev
...on the off chance that it really happened to someone to find themselves in that particular situation .. hoping not to be the only one :`)
E0706 14:36:43.093406  313925 iso.go:88] Unable to download https://storage.googleapis.com/minikube/iso/minikube-v0.0.0-unset.iso [...] bad response code: 404     -- in $HOME/.minikube/logs/lastStart.txt
The error is due to the fact that there is no minikube-v0.0.0-unset.iso.. that value is passed as
startCmd.Flags().StringSlice(isoURL, download.DefaultISOURLs(), "Locations to fetch the minikube ISO from.")    --  in start_flags.go

and there is a very clear comment in pkg/version/version.go that states:
// isoVersion is a private field and should be set when compiling with --ldflags="-X k8s.io/minikube/pkg/version.isoVersion=vX.Y.Z"
var isoVersion = "v0.0.0-unset"

So as mentioned above.. compiling following the recommended procedure solves the problem...