Online Mineral Bank Accessible (Development in Progress)

Scott Brande

Jul 7, 2019, 5:14:43 PM7/7/19
to miner...@googlegroups.com
I'm filling in and correcting typos/errors in the first iteration of an online Mineral Bank (click link for access).

Fall semester 2019 will be the first deployment of these online resources, and so there are probably many points of failure when students try to access this worksheet.

However, advantages of online technology are legion, including my ability to fix errors on the fly, and to pre-program the workbook to provide filtered subsets based on a combination of properties (e.g. show me all the minerals in the bank that have a non-white streak and are softer than a glass plate).

This feature is so attractive (to me) that the first time I used it, I couldn't stand the thought of paging through the (static) identification chart in the lab manual to find minerals that match the combination of features identified in an unknown sample.

At this time, I've pre-programmed the query statements that subset the bank. These are not editable by the user. If you have need for other filtered subsets, tell me and I'll add them as new tabs in the bank workbook.

By the way, the bank is accessible (but not editable) outside of the website. Here's the link that you can post anywhere - http://bit.ly/2XKUGGK