The World of Humanities - August 2013 - For Download and Distribution

Eric

Aug 5, 2013, 8:41:04 PM8/5/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You will need MinecraftEdu version 1.5.1 build 15 or later to run this.

This is the latest version of my "Wonderful World of Humanities" project, featuring various worlds from ancient history and tons of information to read / secrets to find / characters to talk to / quests to go on / building projects to collaborate on, etc.
Feel free to use this however and whenever you see fit, just please give me credit. :)

This is the official version for the new school year. There are tons of additions, and it should be a lot simpler for teachers to install and get running. Information and links are below.

Some additions in the new version include:

- More than 200 Link Blocks around the world, which will open up a web browser and take players to quizzes, games, videos, 360 degree panoramas of real-world locations, extra information, and activities tied to progress in the game world.

- An "Elite Tower" in the Humanities Treehouse. Only the most skilled and knowledgeable players will be able to gain access! Can you ace the 85-question test on all Humanities knowledge?

- A war rages in the World of Humanities! The Ancient Scholars face a new threat - from the future! Minecrosoft Industries has come to steal priceless artifacts. Which side will you take? Features factions, an evolving storyline, tons of quests, and students can choose which side they would like to align themselves with. Look for the Scholars or Agents scattered around the world to enter the war!

- 100s of new characters and quests in Rome, India, Medieval Times, and more areas of the world.

- Complete a questline in Valenwood to gain access to a locked-off elite building area.

- Pets and riding creatures!

- Many new areas, and improvements of old areas.

Please have a look through this information packet that I give to students. It will give you many more details. You may also want to print it and distribute it to your students: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/WORLD%20OF%20HUMANITIES%20Starter%20Pack.pdf

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION

Please follow this link to the Edu Wiki and follow the steps in the "Install Instructions" section:

http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lesson_Template

EXTRA MATERIALS

Intro video of the world: http://youtu.be/NhlKF4kKzi8

Video of an interview that was conducted with me. Note that this is for an older version of the world: http://youtu.be/K5Recp9xpYY

Packet for parents, including my master's research paper on games in education, and the World of Humanities in particular: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/WoH%20-%20Information%20for%20Parents.pdf

Badges students can earn by finding the "secret code words" hidden around the world. I cut these out and put them on a big "Wall of Scholars and Explorers" bulletin board in my room: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/WoH%20Badges.pdf

Here's the "master list" of where all those codes are located so you can check student progress: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/WoH%20-%20Secret%20Codes%20and%20Badges%20master%20list.xlsx

Here's a good example of the digital citizenship learning possible in the world, a chat log of students playing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/Digital%20Citizenship%20-%20WoH%20chat%20log.pdf

And here are some "promotional posters" you can use to help promote the world at your school (I have them all over my room and the hallways!):

/\ Example, here are the others:

PHEW! Enjoy!! Please post in this thread to let me know how things work, how your students enjoy the world, and any other thoughts and impressions! I've been working on this for over a year now, probably more than 700 hours put into it, and I'd love to hear how it's being used by students outside my own school.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the world, the panoramas, creation of characters and quests, or anything else! I'll try to review this thread often and reply as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Eric

Aug 5, 2013, 8:43:59 PM8/5/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Bumping this above the old, outdated thread.

Joel Levin

Aug 6, 2013, 1:03:28 AM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  Can wait to see what's next in the WWoH!

Eric, you should know that there was a MinecraftEdu booth at QuakeCon this past weekend.  And we ran the World of Humanities (with npc's, texture pack, etc) for almost the whole time.  People loved it!  Really helped communicate the whole concept of MCEdu.  There were a couple of kids who kept coming back to play it the whole event.

Thanks, as always, for being an incredibly talented and exemplary member of the community!

~Joel

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 1:57:20 AM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joel, that means a lot! Great to hear!

Are there any videos from QuakeCon? I would love to see them if so. Your Gamespot video from last year was a big hit with my students.

I would love to hear any further feedback you have on the latest version!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joel Solomon

Aug 6, 2013, 6:50:39 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

**Update to this post**

 I found the two files that said were missing in the error message, and copied it over to the location, and now the WOH loads just fine. Whew! Good thing I had a backup! I just need to copy back the saved worlds I had in my backup folder, too. Question: I know you teach grade 6-7. Do you think 4-5 graders could handle it? What modifications and/or suggestions would you make if I wanted to try this world with 4th and 5th graders? Just curious.

Thanks...Joel

**Original Post***

Eric,

I tried following your installation instructions, and now I'm getting error messages when I try to load the game. When the instructions say to unzip the Teacher folder and place in Minecraft Edu, that means the CONTENTS of the folder, not the folder itself, right? Won't this overwrite the current saved worlds I already have in my server folder and delete all but WOH? I'm including links to screenshots to show the errors i received when I tried to launch Minecraft, and the folder location of the files you sent. Please help.

Luckily I had a backup of the entire Minecraft Edu folder on my desktop, so I replaced it with the WOH-modified folder and now it's working and I can at least run the worlds I've saved again, just not yours, which is a bummer, since I can't wait to check it out!

Joel

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 7:18:05 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The file you download is a zip file, not a folder, though the icon may appear to look like a folder depending on what unzip software you use. Yes, you should copy in the two included folders (server and minecraft) and merge them with your existing folders in the minecraftedu folder. It should not erase anything - it will only add the files I have included in the zip, and replace outdated mod files. If it is erasing anything from those folders, then you are making an incorrect selection and not telling it to merge folders.

EduElfie

Aug 6, 2013, 7:57:22 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Eric, be careful saying that, different OS's managing the 'merging' of folders in different ways. I know macs dont merge, they delete everything there and just put the new folder there. Been caught before.

Elfie.

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 8:52:33 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Jeez, that's terrible! I've added a note into the install instructions on the wiki. Thanks for letting me know. Why would they do that??

So sorry about that, Joel. I didn't know Macs overwrote folders instead of merging their contents. Hopefully no one else will run into that problem.

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 9:12:36 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Joel, in answer to your other question: yes, it would be great for 4th and 5th graders. There is no "mature" content in there, and most of the writing is pretty simplistic and easy to understand. The only modifications I would suggest might just be your availability to help them understand any text or concepts they are struggling with.

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:50:39 PM UTC-5, Joel Solomon wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mjma...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2013, 9:42:47 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
First off, fantastic job! Now on to some important questions:

1. how do you make a link block?
2. how do you make a conversation with custumNPC mod... I try and it doesn't seem to work...
3. For your map, can I have many students on one server or should they all have their own install. Basicly if one student finds all the sculls will that make it imposible for others (apply that same reasoning to other quests?
4. How do you make different groups students can join?
5. Do you ever have trouble with students loging in as other students?

Thanks much for your time...
Message has been deleted

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 10:49:52 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Here are your answers:

1. It is just an info block, with a link pasted in. Info blocks have supported links for a couple versions of Edu now. I use bitly to shorten the links so they fit on one line. I then use a foundation block (with the new WoH red texture) on top to distinguish it.
2. It's pretty complicated. A good video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xAHirklwArA  -- but you really have to do a lot of trial and error to get the hang of it.
3. All students can play on the same server (your teacher computer's server). Items are given out to every player and their progress is tracked in individual profiles within the customnpcs folder.
4. Not sure what you mean by this one. Are you referring to the Ancient Scholars and Minecrosoft factions? If so, there are faction settings in the CustomNPCs mod.
5. I used to, but now I give them customized launchersettings.ini files with their installations, that automatically log them into the server with the name I have given them, and they can't change it. For more info on settings in the various ini files, look here: http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Client#Launcher_Settings_File

Hope that helps!

Eric

Aug 6, 2013, 10:51:26 PM8/6/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I tried to answer your questions, but as soon as I posted, it said post has been deleted... not sure if it's just awaiting moderation or what. Maybe it has to do with posting links in it, and it thinks it's spam...?

Eric

Aug 7, 2013, 1:16:30 PM8/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

NOTE: I've changed the format from Zip files into a modified version of the Edu installer. This will now install everything you need into your existing MinecraftEdu installation, without erasing anything that is already there. Just make sure you are installing it into your existing /minecraftedu folder, for both the teacher and all students.

*This does not contain any MinecraftEdu files - they have all been removed from the installer. You will, of course, already need to have purchased and installed MinecraftEdu to play World of Humanities.

Bernice

Aug 7, 2013, 6:30:20 PM8/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I've searched everywhere trying to find the Ancient Scholar leader, but I can't find him. I know that he's in a sanctuary to the left of the West wing of the Library, but I can't find any sanctuary.
Any help?
Thanks,
Bernice

Eric

Aug 7, 2013, 10:42:09 PM8/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
If you enter the Great Library, he's to your left on the first floor. The doors to the sanctuary are locked though - talk to the guy in front to find out how to get in.

Hope you enjoy!

Eric

Aug 7, 2013, 11:57:42 PM8/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I went back and looked again, and I can see why you were confused. I have the Head Librarian describing it as the "west wing" - when technically it's the western side of the main library (the actual west wing has the lecture hall and the theater). I should re-write the dialogue so that it makes it more clear. Thanks!

Joel Levin

Aug 8, 2013, 12:02:45 AM8/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Eric. I finally got the chance to try the latest version.  (I must admit that's I skipped the last release)  It's truly incredible!

WoH already felt like a new game, but this takes it to a much higher level!  The quests, the sound effects, and the tweaked graphics are all sooo well done.  It feels fresh, and also totally showcasing that "MinecraftEdu-style" of design.  I love it!

I just lost an hour wandering around the first areas.  I had never really checked out China before.  The Silk Road quest line's ending blew my mind!

~Joel

Bernice Chen

Aug 8, 2013, 1:26:20 AM8/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Eric

Aug 8, 2013, 2:06:19 AM8/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Ha, thanks! I love when I get feedback on specific quests, dialogue, and writing. My students really get into it, and it's great to hear that other people do, too.

Yeah, the Silk Road "Sophie's Choice"-type-thing is new, and I'm excited to see how it plays out with my students this year. I hope WoH isn't responsible for the ending of any friendships! :)

Though I've already seen it form several friendships at my school, so I guess it's only fair...

Bernice

Aug 9, 2013, 5:22:22 PM8/9/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
This probably has nothing to do with the new WOH, but...
I am looking for Steve, the one who came before.
I got stuck after I got the clue that he was on an island to the east of Ancient India. I've looked and looked, but I can't find any island with a beacon!

Eric

Aug 9, 2013, 6:27:33 PM8/9/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
There's not a beacon for that stage, he ran out.... :)

Just go straight east of the Buddha statue, and you'll see a small island with one tree. Look for a cave...

Bernice Chen

Aug 9, 2013, 7:00:43 PM8/9/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh wait, sorry not that one, the one after that, where it says he was looking for some underwater cave or something along those lines.

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Bernice

Aug 10, 2013, 7:49:35 PM8/10/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I'm posting this twice, but I was afraid it wasn't getting out.
I'm looking for Steve, and the clue I have is that he went to some underwater cave under the treehouse base. Where is he?
Thanks,
Bernice

Eric

Aug 11, 2013, 3:04:51 PM8/11/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
That's right under the Treehouse, at the base of the tree. I think the hole is on the south-east side of the trunk of the tree, underwater.

Bernice Chen

Aug 11, 2013, 7:49:03 PM8/11/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I was able to find the skull.
Nice crown! :)

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Bernice

Aug 13, 2013, 12:39:04 PM8/13/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You can't teleport to places when you're riding on a pet.
Could you fix that...? It makes it kind of hard to keep your pet and at the same time
being able to go to places without getting lost.
Thanks!

Eric

Aug 13, 2013, 5:57:26 PM8/13/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, there are some problems with compatibility between MinecraftEdu and the Animal Bikes mod. There's really nothing I can do about it - I'm just happy they work at all! Maybe in some future versions that part will work better, but for now, pets are kind of a "bonus", used as a motivator for the learning parts. Sorry!

Bernice

Aug 13, 2013, 5:59:27 PM8/13/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's fine. Just wondering...

André Chercka

Aug 16, 2013, 4:22:01 AM8/16/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing this - and sharing!

/André

Eric

Aug 19, 2013, 5:14:15 PM8/19/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Bernice

Aug 19, 2013, 5:18:36 PM8/19/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Wow! That's amazing...

Bernice

Aug 19, 2013, 7:38:18 PM8/19/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I want to install a Minecraft mod called ComputerCraft on MinecraftEDU, but everytime I try, MinecraftEDU won't install. What should I do...?

Rick M

Aug 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
"everytime I try, MinecraftEDU won't install. "

I'm not sure what you mean? MinecraftEdu should be installed first, and then the ComputerCraft mod should be placed in the "mods" folder within your MinecraftEdu folder.

Let us know the steps you're following to install ComputerCraft, and when it stops working for you, with error messages if you get any, and we'll see if we can help you figure it out :)

If you're trying to connect to a server, the server must also be running ComputerCraft.

Bernice Chen

Aug 20, 2013, 11:11:41 AM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well, I install ComputerCraft twice and place one in the minecraft/mods/ folder and the other in the servertool/server/worlds/ folder. Then I click on the MinecraftEDU launcher and log in, but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't get on MinecraftEDU...

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Rick M

Aug 20, 2013, 11:21:34 AM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
So you're running MinecraftEdu twice, once through the Servertool, once as a client, right?

When you say "it doesn't do anything," do you mean the client, or the server? Does the server start up successfully, but the client Minecraft window never appears after you click the Login button? I'm not clear what "it" is referring to.

Does MinecraftEdu work properly if you remove the ComputerCraft files from the mods folders?

Eric

Aug 20, 2013, 11:27:51 AM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The other folder you put it in should be servertool/server/mods, not /worlds.

You must also make sure you have downloaded the 1.5.1 version of ComputerCraft, and not a new 1.6.2 version.

By the way, I haven't messed with ComputerCraft yet, so I'm not sure it will work with the other World of Humanities included mods. If it is good, let me know, and maybe I can work it into the "City of the Future" area somehow!

Rick M

Aug 20, 2013, 11:30:32 AM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh, nice catch, totally missed the incorrect path.

Bernice Chen

Aug 20, 2013, 12:32:55 PM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry, I meant the mods folder :)
And yes, after I click the login thing, MinecraftEDU starts doing the processing thing it always does, and then the MinecraftEDU thing just goes black...

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Bernice Chen

Aug 20, 2013, 12:33:12 PM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'll try the 1.5.1 ComputerCraft....

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Bernice Chen

Aug 20, 2013, 12:41:35 PM8/20/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry. I get excited :P

   A_A
   (^.^)   A
  (")..(") (W)
 (,,)_(,,) '_/
~ Bernice Chen

Rick M

Aug 22, 2013, 10:01:52 AM8/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric, I'm noticing a trend, trying to track down the cause. I'm using 1.5.1 build 16, client and server. The first time I open the map from the client, the sign text all exists, and persists until a server reboot.

In the past, I haven't saved the worlds after a play session (because I don't really have play sessions with students). When the server reboots, I use the "Load Last Played Map" option, and sign text has persisted.

With the new WoH build, using Load Last Played Map seems to cause the sign text to disappear. Is there something about a hard shutdown of the server, without first saving the map, which might cause the sign text to disappear?

If I just shut down the MinecraftEdu server without first saving the map (no machine reboot involved), and use "Load Last Played..." when the Servertool starts up again, the sign text is there. I don't have time to check the hard shutdown of the server at the moment, without first shutting down the Servertool, but I suspect that's what's causing the sign text to disappear.

Our servers have regularly scheduled reboots twice a week, and the WoH map using 1.5.1 build 16 is the first time I've noticed any issues with sign text. Just a data point. I don't know if there's anything to fix here from your perspective, but maybe for the devs?

Eric

Aug 22, 2013, 11:33:38 AM8/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rick. Yeah, there have been some reported problems with MinecraftEdu recent builds about sign text disappearing (doesn't have anything to do with World of Humanities). I had this problem once on my online hosted server, but I never have had it on my own computer's server. I would recommend saving the game completely before shutting it down, and not selecting last played world, but selecting the World of Humanities saved map every time. It must have something to do with not saving the signLocation_en.ini file correctly with any other type of shutdown.

Rick M

Aug 22, 2013, 12:01:59 PM8/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I think you're exactly right about how to avoid the problem happening. I just have to remember to save whatever world I have loaded before scheduled server reboots - which is occasionally more difficult for me than it should be :)

Adam Finch

Sep 8, 2013, 12:12:15 AM9/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
I have been using your map for a few months now during a lunchtime minecraft group at my school in Sydney, Australia. The students absolutely love it and I can't wait to try the new version.
Two questions:
1. How do I update to build 15? The latest update from MinecraftEdu is still build 9.
2. Is the quest for the Golden Apple of Wisdom something I would need to place myself in the world?

Rick M

Sep 8, 2013, 12:39:58 AM9/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I don't know the answer to the second question, but for the first question, when you launch MinecraftEdu, there's an Updates button below the MinecraftEdu and Minecraft options. Click updates, authenticate with your MinecraftEdu credentials, and choose build 15 from the drop down menu. I've had problems with the sign text disappearing in build 16, and I think others here have indicated 15 is the best current version. Hope that helps!

Eric

Sep 8, 2013, 3:39:05 PM9/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thank you, Rick. As for your second question: yes, the Golden Apple is something I place myself a few times a year, and create a linear "scavenger hunt" from one clue to the next, starting at that info block in the Treehouse. With NPCs, you can even make characters give your next clues, or even make a "Golden Apple Room" at the end that can only be opened after a quest has been completed or a character has been spoken with -- so a student can't just luckily stumble upon the Apple without following the chain of clues.

Bonus info: I have special Golden Apples (that will give students the option of opening the Golden Sanctuary or giving the Apple to "The First") hidden behind a small wall of diamond ore near the Reading Chalet. It's in the northern-facing cliff wall below the Shrine of Wisdom. You could take one of those from the chest hidden in there and hide it for students to find, after you create a trail of clues starting from the Treehouse.

Adam Finch

Sep 9, 2013, 8:48:17 AM9/9/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes the HUGE update button : ) thanks Rick
I found the apples and the ideas are starting to spawn. Thanks Eric. I have also been deconstructing parts of your world to teach myself how to build an online world myself. You have put alot of work into WoH mate and I am very greatful that you are sharing it with us.

Eric

Sep 9, 2013, 10:32:26 AM9/9/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your kind words, Adam. I'm glad you and your students are enjoying it. I would love to see what you come up with in the future.

Joel: I see you got the new page working and thank you that the "Lesson Template" page redirects to it. But I noticed the title of the new page is slightly misspelled (Humanties - missing an i). Could you please fix that and maybe add a link to it from the main page with a title other than "Lesson Template"? I just want people to be able to find it who are on the main MinecraftEdu menu page. Thanks!

André Chercka

Sep 10, 2013, 3:36:56 AM9/10/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I'm trying to find the humanities world map - but can't see it here. Maybe its integrated in the latest Edu builds? Can anyone help me?

/André

EduElfie

Sep 10, 2013, 5:22:45 AM9/10/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I think there is a page on the wiki: http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lesson_Template

where you can get all the bits and pieces needed.

Elfie.

André Chercka

Sep 10, 2013, 5:58:51 AM9/10/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Ok - got it. Thanks

Albert Bricker

Sep 11, 2013, 10:08:57 AM9/11/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Your student information packet mentions a "name file".  How do you create that?  I liked what I saw in the Spring and am eager to get the completed / newest version running...

Eric

Sep 11, 2013, 10:36:25 AM9/11/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Some things mentioned in the student packet are for my students at my school specifically. The "name file" is how I authorize them to join my server, and assign them a name they can't change. You can get all the files you need from here: http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wonderful_World_of_Humanities

Adam Finch

Sep 12, 2013, 7:50:13 AM9/12/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I just used MCEdit for the first time to copy and paste all of the student's houses into the new map. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Down under in the southern hemisphere we are only half way through the school year, so a reset felt a little wrong.

Eric

Sep 12, 2013, 10:16:50 AM9/12/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I do that every map update - the best houses, that is. The little rectangle houses that had about 2 minutes of effort put in, I let disappear. The hard part is copying over signs and info blocks the students wrote - it's not really possible.

Eric

Sep 12, 2013, 10:35:32 AM9/12/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Bonus info! Have you ever wondered what is actually typed on the HD version of all those info blocks? Here you go! :)

Eric

Sep 13, 2013, 1:23:47 PM9/13/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I updated the Information Packet somewhat - you can find it in the original post, or here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/WORLD%20OF%20HUMANITIES%20Starter%20Pack.pdf

Please remember that some of that information is geared towards my students specifically, and will not apply to yours necessarily - especially the install/update parts.

Michael Matera

Sep 14, 2013, 4:45:01 PM9/14/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric,

Few questions:

1. I am using this with brand new iMac's in our lab. I have about 7 students connecting and it runs fine for about 5-10 min then it gets very choppy/laggy? Any reason for this on a new machine. I have messed with the graphics and still happens. I also got some out of memory and timed out errors.

2. I think I installed correctly, on a Mac it doesn't always write the files the same way as a PC. I have tried running your install and I have installed to a new folder and manually transferred over the files I needed, both ways caused same issues. I then created a new install that was fresh and included some of the mods but not all of your mods and it worked great but I couldn't run world of humanities then. What I ran was all your files in the mod folder but not the sound the one that begins with an m. Do you think this sound program is causing a problem? I am not sure why else I am having such a problem with your WOH install.

3. Just another example. Tried at home with my MAC PRO 6core 20 gig ram as server and new MacBook pro 4 gig ram quad-core as student computer running over my house network and it was still getting choppy after a bit of play. Really starts to get choppy after I teleport.

Any help would be great. I could have screwed up on the installs but I don't think I did... Really want to use this a lot with my World History 6th graders.

Thanks much!
Michael

Michael Matera

Sep 14, 2013, 4:56:09 PM9/14/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Here is an error I got after just 3 minutes of walking around with this installed:

      Minecraft has crashed!

      ----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Unexpected error

We were unable to save this report to a file.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 3aacecde --------

Generated 9/14/13 3:50 PM

[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/gui/achievement/GuiAchievements

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71385_j(Minecraft.java:1284)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1726)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:897)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:822)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.client.gui.achievement.GuiAchievements

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.findClass(RelaunchClassLoader.java:236)

... 5 more

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at org.objectweb.asm.ClassWriter.newUTF8(Unknown Source)

at org.objectweb.asm.MethodWriter.visitLocalVariable(Unknown Source)

at org.objectweb.asm.tree.LocalVariableNode.accept(Unknown Source)

at org.objectweb.asm.tree.MethodNode.accept(Unknown Source)

at org.objectweb.asm.tree.MethodNode.accept(Unknown Source)

at org.objectweb.asm.tree.ClassNode.accept(Unknown Source)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.asm.transformers.AccessTransformer.transform(AccessTransformer.java:247)

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(RelaunchClassLoader.java:350)

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.findClass(RelaunchClassLoader.java:223)

... 7 more

--- END ERROR REPORT 54a373ad ----------

Michael Matera

Sep 14, 2013, 5:04:00 PM9/14/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh and I am on build 15 of the current version

Eric

Sep 14, 2013, 11:55:25 PM9/14/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I haven't experienced anything like that, nor have my students. Strange.

The error message seems to mention "achievements GUI" a lot - do you think it could have something to do with enabling regular Minecraft achievements? I think they are disabled in MinecraftEdu by default, but maybe you enabled them, and they are causing problems. I don't know, just a guess from that error report.

All my students use Matmos sound mod and I haven't seen it causing a problem. Have you tried changing your graphics to Fast instead of Fancy? I know I get some weird video memory lag around lots of trees when I have it set to Fancy.

Sorry, I don't have much else to offer, other than take a close look at your system to see exactly what is "lagging". Is the video card overheating? Are the processors taxed? Is the RAM filled up?

I would also suggest trying it on build 16 on your home computer, but I do doubt that would make much of a difference. Plus, it introduces some new bugs in the teacher controls.

Keep me posted.

Michael Matera

Sep 15, 2013, 2:55:01 PM9/15/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Today I tried a fresh install of everything. Updated to build 15 installed a fresh download of both your server file and you student file...

Still same problem. Choppy after about 5-10 min or a teleport.

Got this error after 4 mins on the map. I really hope to fix this as I wanted to use it for my course this year. I teach 6th grade World History and my plan was to uses this big time. Please oh Please help me...

      Minecraft has crashed!

      ----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Rendering screen

We were unable to save this report to a file.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 62808a77 --------

Generated 9/15/13 1:51 PM

[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

at java.awt.image.DataBufferByte.<init>(DataBufferByte.java:59)

at java.awt.image.ComponentSampleModel.createDataBuffer(ComponentSampleModel.java:397)

at java.awt.image.Raster.createWritableRaster(Raster.java:935)

at javax.imageio.ImageTypeSpecifier.createBufferedImage(ImageTypeSpecifier.java:1056)

at javax.imageio.ImageReader.getDestination(ImageReader.java:2879)

at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readImage(PNGImageReader.java:1263)

at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.read(PNGImageReader.java:1560)

at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1422)

at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1326)

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderEngine.func_78345_a(RenderEngine.java:510)

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderEngine.func_78341_b(RenderEngine.java:213)

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderEngine.func_98187_b(RenderEngine.java:145)

at net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiInventory.func_74185_a(GuiInventory.java:114)

at noppes.npcs.gui.player.GuiAlternateInventory.func_74185_a(GuiAlternateInventory.java:23)

at net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiContainer.func_73863_a(GuiContainer.java:107)

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.InventoryEffectRenderer.func_73863_a(InventoryEffectRenderer.java:43)

at net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiInventory.func_73863_a(GuiInventory.java:103)

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1021)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:933)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:822)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

--- END ERROR REPORT 67b635f6 ----------

EduElfie

Sep 15, 2013, 5:02:53 PM9/15/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Is it in similar locations in the world? We were having some real choppiness with some people yesterday that we are thinking was caused by item frames and rendering items in the game. Perhaps it is just locations in the world that are being extra taxing on your computer. Next time it gets choppy teleport yourself back to spawn (or somewhere it wasnt choppy) and see if it stays choppy or improves.

Elfie.

Eric

Sep 15, 2013, 11:55:05 PM9/15/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yes, item frames can cause huge amounts of lag - but they are pretty rare in the world. And that's why I made the Crafting University, with its tons of item frames, so remote! :)

Michael, it certainly has to be an issue with your computer. I would suggest updating your java install, and maybe also checking your anti-virus to make sure it isn't set to do real-time scans of all accessed files. I know that has been the cause of a lot of lag in other CPU-heavy games in the past.

Eric

Sep 15, 2013, 11:57:13 PM9/15/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Java certainly should NOT be running out of memory running the world, so my other guess is that you have your java memory settings messed up somehow. Check your java settings to see how much memory is allocated to java. Sorry I can't give you a step by step of how to do this right now, but a quick Google search should help.

Nathan Brown

Sep 16, 2013, 1:43:47 AM9/16/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
   Thanks for all of your work on the latest version of WoH.  I installed a previous version of WoH before the summer break, and then came back and tried to install your new WOH.  I see that I am supposed to uninstall the mods previously installed, but I can not find the previous install instructions any more.  Could you share where to uninstall the previous mods please?

Thanks,
     Nathan

 [INFO] Starting MinecraftEdu server version 1.5.1
 [SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception DuplicateModsFoundException
cpw.mods.fml.common.DuplicateModsFoundException
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.identifyDuplicates(Loader.java:379)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.identifyMods(Loader.java:333)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:467)
at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.beginServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:80)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:346)
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:76)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:500)
at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(ThreadMinecraftServer.java:16)
 [SEVERE] This crash report has been saved to: C:\Users\Browns\AppData\Roaming\minecraftedu\servertool\server\.\crash-reports\crash-2013-09-15_22.00.51-server.txt
 [INFO] An unknown error occurred while attempting to perform this command

Eric

Sep 16, 2013, 11:45:15 AM9/16/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Just go into your servertool/server/mods folder and erase any old versions of the ones I mentioned, and also for your clients, erase any in the minecraft/mods/ folder. Just delete the old zip files and let the new install program put the new versions in there.

Eric

Sep 22, 2013, 9:25:19 AM9/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Just to note, I've updated the map a bit, fixing some bugs (poor Alexander the Great was missing -- I have no idea why!). The download location is the same as before. If you'd like to update it, you can just re-download the teacher version only and re-install it on your teacher computer. Students do not need to update their files.

Jason Reis

Sep 24, 2013, 3:14:51 PM9/24/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Wondering if I could pick some peoples brains. I have followed the instructions and loaded this mod including selecting the texture pack. Now when I login although the game window has the new texture I do not see any buildings or cities built??

Apparently I missed a step or something but not sure what?? Suggestions on what would cause no buildings/cities to appear in the world?

Matt Coia

Sep 24, 2013, 4:03:44 PM9/24/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You may have loaded the necessary mods but did you load the WOH map?  When you start the servertool, you select "Select Saved World".  Then list will pop up on the right and you select World of Humanities from the list and Start.  If it's not on the list, then you missed a step in downloading the map (and/or putting it into the correct folder).

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Jason Reis <jay_...@msn.com> wrote:
Wondering if I could pick some peoples brains. I have followed the instructions and loaded this mod including selecting the texture pack. Now when I login although the game window has the new texture I do not see any buildings or cities built??

Apparently I missed a step or something but not sure what?? Suggestions on what would cause no buildings/cities to appear in the world?

Jason reis

Sep 24, 2013, 6:15:19 PM9/24/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com, minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I forgot to load the map lol
Works now thanks for the reply

Michael Harvey

Sep 26, 2013, 2:29:11 PM9/26/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
So I think I broke it...
Actually I just need some help. I just downloaded and ran the teacher installer (with backup) and tried to bring up Eric's world. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect, even from my own computer. The server window itself stopped responding too.   To be more clear, it wasn't frozen, but clicking Stop Server didn't work.  I ended up having to Force Quit (mac). Now I have the same issue no matter what world I try to connect.  Could anyone tell me how I can go about restoring the backup?  I'd also be open to ideas about getting WoH working right, but for now I just want to make sure I can get it back to how it was an hour ago.  Thanks for any help.

Eric

Sep 26, 2013, 2:37:55 PM9/26/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I think there are problems with selecting "backup" in the Edu installer. WoH shouldn't overwrite any of your pre-existing files, anyway. It's just putting the world file and mod files in there for you. I would recommend making a fresh install of Edu and then installing WoH into that directory without selecting backup.

I don't know about restoring a saved backup (if that even works), but all you should have to do is copy out your "saved worlds" folder from your existing installation, then making a fresh installation and moving your saved worlds folder in.

Michael Harvey

Sep 26, 2013, 4:48:39 PM9/26/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Wow, fair enough.  Would it make sense to put some of that into the document you've included so that others will no to avoid those options?  I think right now it says that it shouldn't matter which you choose at set up.  I didn't realize that was because the backing up didn't really work.

Eric

Sep 26, 2013, 5:41:45 PM9/26/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm just guessing here, because I know the MinecraftEdu installer has had issues with backups for several versions now. Let me know if that is indeed the problem.

Michael Harvey

Oct 1, 2013, 6:30:26 PM10/1/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric, sorry for the delay. I did get it working.  I just did a fresh install like you said rather than dealing with the backups.  No issues so far.
By the way, I was thrilled to see that my quickly thought out crafting school made it to your actual world!

Eric

Oct 2, 2013, 8:41:10 AM10/2/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the work you did on it! It has helped many "new to Minecraft" students grasp yet another layer of the gameplay. Also, there was a recent topic on these forums of someone appreciating your work. Hope you saw it!

Eric

Oct 8, 2013, 3:24:17 AM10/8/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Please note: when the next version (1.6.4) of MinecraftEdu is released, I will work as quickly as I can to update the World of Humanities to work with the new version. But as I understand it, there will be some quite significant changes in how textures and NPCs are handled, so it may take a while. There will be a bit of "lag" between when you all have a new version of MinecraftEdu and when a new version of WoH will actually work with it. I will post updates to my progress in this thread.

Scott Pollmann

Oct 15, 2013, 9:56:50 PM10/15/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, custom npc's isn't updated to 1.6.4 yet.

Eric

Oct 19, 2013, 4:28:44 AM10/19/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
OK, back from vacation. I'll work this week to get things converted over as possible. Please note that you can only use 1.5.1 for now.

logan walker

Oct 21, 2013, 10:54:57 AM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't find the name file on the wiki page. Is it included in the student download?

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:08:57 PM UTC+3, Albert Bricker wrote:
Your student information packet mentions a "name file".  How do you create that?  I liked what I saw in the Spring and am eager to get the completed / newest version running...

Eric

Oct 21, 2013, 1:18:45 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Name files are something I use only with my students, to connect to my own server. The instructions pack you were reading is intended primarily for my own students. You won't need a name file with your own server.

logan walker

Oct 21, 2013, 2:26:08 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification. I guess my next questions is there a way I can create a name file like the one you've created? I'm fairly new to the minecraft edu world. I believe you mentioned that you can give your students a name that they can't change. I would like to do that but if it's very complicated, we'll make do without it.

Thanks for all your hard work. This is an amazing map and provides students with an awesome experience. My students are super excited to begin using this map. Keep up the good work.

Also, you have a great last name. I'm also Mr. Walker, my kids thought I designed the map. I had to set the record straight real quick :)

Eric

Oct 21, 2013, 4:12:33 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words!

"Locking in" a student's name involves editing a settings file on the student's computer. You can find more information here:

David Collie

Oct 21, 2013, 5:57:18 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

I have just installed MinecraftEdu (1.5.2 dev build 1) for the first time. Works fine.

I want to get WOH working on it. I have download the two JAR files. I can get the ServerTool started and load the saved WOH map. So far so good.

However when I start the client, after the authentication form, the client hangs with the splash screen (see attached). Any idea how I can debug what's going on?

Thanks

Dave
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 22.56.03.png

Rick M

Oct 21, 2013, 6:31:38 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

WoH is for 1.5.1 I believe.

Rick M

Oct 21, 2013, 9:53:52 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I wrote that on the road, wanted to double check - yes, this version of WoH is for MinecraftEdu version 1.5.1. Do everything you did in your post, but install 1.5.1, and you should be all set :)

EduElfie

Oct 21, 2013, 9:55:31 PM10/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Highly recommend 1.5.1 Dev 15 as it is the most stable with the least bugs.

Elfie.

Rick M

Oct 22, 2013, 8:31:55 AM10/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric, did you get an email from my @temple.edu account last Friday? Let me know, hoping you can join us :)

Eric

Oct 22, 2013, 9:50:27 AM10/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Just got it. Sorry, I don't check my gmail account that much. In the future, send to the same address, but @yahoo.com.

I'll see what my availability is. Being in Kuwait makes timings quite tricky!

Rick M

Oct 22, 2013, 9:51:57 AM10/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
For sure! Will update your email and ping you there. Thanks :)

Eric

Oct 22, 2013, 10:09:47 AM10/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I added something to the downloads page. It's quite a read, but well worth it if you have the time! It can also be used by anyone interested in research links and references.

Extensive research report, written by a colleague of mine who helped create the "Refugee Camp" simulation area, and has done informal testing on the effectiveness of World of Humanities in the classroom:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53773950/World%20of%20Humanities/Rempel%20Gaming%20for%20Mastery%20CURRENT.pdf

David Collie

Oct 22, 2013, 6:45:09 PM10/22/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
That fixed it - many thanks.

Eric

Oct 23, 2013, 11:32:39 AM10/23/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

The new version of World of Humanities will include some VASTLY improved graphics, thanks to the power of Sonic Ether, which is finally compatible with Edu in version 1.6.4! You will be able to turn off the advanced graphics if your computer isn't good enough, though. Check out these pictures!

Rick M

Oct 23, 2013, 11:37:42 AM10/23/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

That's awesome! Now I'll finally have to figure out how to install Shaders :-)

It is loading more messages.