GALACTICRAFT WITH MINECRAFTEDU

Jeremy Wertheimer

Feb 18, 2014, 2:23:56 PM2/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
HI, This is my first post here. I'm teaching a class using MinecraftEdu in which I would like the students to go to Mars in Galacticraft. When I try Single-player MinecraftEdu it works fine but in MinecraftEdu server, It seems to be working fine until I launch a rocket and try to go to another planet (dimension.) The rocket launches, goes all the way up and then drops the player all the way to the ground of the Overworld,  possibly killing them if they are in survival mode.

All the objects and textures needed to play Galacticraft are there, I just can't switch dimensions using the rocket when I'm on a server world..

I've turned on the option to allow students to go to the nether and the end just in case that was stopping me.

I'm using MinecraftEdu 1.6.4 stable version build 6
It has Minecraft Coder Pack 8.09
Forge Mod Loader 6.4.20.1 (then it has a box that says MBSP the the number 337)
Minecraft Forge 9.11.1.0 (that comes with MinecraftEdu too)
Galacticraft-1.6.4-2.0.8.908
Galacticraft-Planets-1.6.4-2.0.8.908
MicdoodleCore-1.6.4-2.0.8.908

In addition to 1.6.4-2.0.8 I've tried  2.07, 2.0.6 and 2.0.5

Does anyone know a fix or workaround?  If I can't fix it, I'll have to have the students open LAN worlds on their computers but then I can't use MinecraftEdu teacher controls.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy Wertheimer

Feb 19, 2014, 3:30:42 PM2/19/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
update: upgrading to minecraftedu build 8 doesn't solve the issue.

Jeremy

to...@teachergaming.com

Feb 20, 2014, 4:26:50 AM2/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy. I tried the Galacticraft mod a while ago and I couldn't get it to work either. The same thing happened when trying to go to another planet. I tried to fix the issue but didn't have much time and I couldn't find the cause. The edu server doesn't understand the dimensions or something. For now I'm afraid there is no fix.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Feb 20, 2014, 9:01:12 AM2/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toni,

That's disappointing to hear but thanks for the reply.  I guess I"ll try hosting a game with a regular Minecraft server. I'll also contact MinecraftEdu and let them know about the problem.

Jeremy

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:26 AM, <to...@teachergaming.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy. I tried the Galacticraft mod a while ago and I couldn't get it to work either. The same thing happened when trying to go to another planet. I tried to fix the issue but didn't have much time and I couldn't find the cause. The edu server doesn't understand the dimensions or something. For now I'm afraid there is no fix.

Matt Coia

Feb 20, 2014, 9:49:15 AM2/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

Toni IS MinecraftEDU.   :)
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Minecraft Teachers" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/minecraft-teachers.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Feb 20, 2014, 10:03:52 PM2/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Maize

Feb 28, 2014, 6:17:33 PM2/28/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

I have also had this problem but I was determined to achieve interplanetary travel, so I found a solution! It works with the versions you are using as well as the most recent version of Galacticraft and MCEdu Build 10.

I am using the MyTown mod that allows for teleporting between dimensions.

Note: You must enable the "Allow Nether & End" setting in the Teacher Menu for any of this to work.

For example to teleport within the world: /tp 0 288 67 67 where the 0 is the dimension number of the Overworld.

If you want to go to the Moon type in the command:

/tp -28 288 67 67

The console will report:
2014-02-28 15:01:16 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Loading dimension -28 (../worlds/tmpworld)

Poof! Your on the moon! A Nether portal will be automatically created near your location, it can transport you back to the Nether or you can remove it. For convenient interplanetary travel you can use MCEdu teleport blocks or a CustomNPC with a Transporter Role (once a steady oxygen supply has been established) :)

You can go to Mars the same way:

/tp -29 288 67 67

Any co-ordinates will do, but you may want to make sure the "Allow Student Resurfacing" option is checked in the Teacher Menu, just in case you teleport to the middle of Olympus Mons! :)

While digging through the log files I noticed Forge had trouble registering the Overworld Orbit Dimension (-27). This is the "dimension" with the GUI that lets you choose your destination or create a space-station. If you try to teleport there it will give you the console error:

2014-02-28 15:07:19 [INFO] [STDERR] Cannot Hotload Dim: Could not get provider type for dimension -27, does not exist

However the Moon and Mars dimensions load just fine:

2014-02-28 14:50:54 [INFO] [Galacticraft] Registering remote planet dimension: -28
2014-02-28 14:50:54 [INFO] [Galacticraft] Registering remote planet dimension: -29

This is probably because the version of Forge that MCEdu is using is older than the one Galacticraft is expecting. It does not seem possible at the moment to blast off and create a space station. But it does get a bit boring having to blast off every time, and it may cause massive lag if you have 20 students launching at once.... <_>
We haven't really missed the space station, too busy building a moon base! I do kind of miss the martian landing sequence though...boing, boing, boing!

This problem would likely be solved by updating Forge, but the mod is still usable with a helper mod. MyTown does not require any configuration to make the teleport feature work. All you have to do is copy the 3 files into the Server's mod directory and your good to go. I do STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the MyTown Forum page, but if you just want to test this workaround quickly, you can grab the files I am successfully using:

Good luck with your stellar adventures in Edu!
Maize

Moon Maize is a novelty

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:03:52 PM UTC-6, Jeremy Wertheimer wrote:
oh.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Matt Coia <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jeremy,

Toni IS MinecraftEDU.   :)

On Thursday, February 20, 2014, Jeremy Wertheimer <jer...@aceraschool.org> wrote:
Hi Toni,

That's disappointing to hear but thanks for the reply.  I guess I"ll try hosting a game with a regular Minecraft server. I'll also contact MinecraftEdu and let them know about the problem.

Jeremy
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:26 AM, <to...@teachergaming.com> wrote:
Hi Jeremy. I tried the Galacticraft mod a while ago and I couldn't get it to work either. The same thing happened when trying to go to another planet. I tried to fix the issue but didn't have much time and I couldn't find the cause. The edu server doesn't understand the dimensions or something. For now I'm afraid there is no fix.

to...@teachergaming.com

Mar 3, 2014, 1:36:55 AM3/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Nice work figuring out what the problem was Maize! The forge version will be updated in the future releases as well as the Minecraft version MCEdu is based on and hopefully this will fix the issue.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Mar 3, 2014, 9:12:24 AM3/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Maize, I'll try it out.

Jeremy

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:36 AM, <to...@teachergaming.com> wrote:
Nice work figuring out what the problem was Maize! The forge version will be updated in the future releases as well as the Minecraft version MCEdu is based on and hopefully this will fix the issue.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Jennifer Krouse

Mar 3, 2014, 7:40:50 PM3/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You may need to be Opped to use the command...?

Jennifer Krouse

Mar 4, 2014, 7:01:15 PM3/4/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Woops! Okay, I forgot that you do have to change one setting to grant permission to teleport.
In the server config folder open PermissionsEx.cfg and change this setting to true:
    B:allowOps=true

That should give you permission but you have to OP yourself:
/op playername

I just tried on a fresh install (its been awhile) and this worked...though I did teleport into the middle of a martian mountain...Yay for "Teleport Back to Surface" button!

:)

Jeremy Wertheimer

Mar 5, 2014, 12:19:10 PM3/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maize,

Thank you for the hint to change B:allowOps to true.  I was able to get the commands working but when I got to mars usting /tp -29 0 5 0, there was no ground.  I see the stars above me but there's no light and my character just keeps falling towards blackness. I tried importing a save file in which Mars ground had already been generated but that had the same problem.

I have successfully got a (non-edu) Forge server running at the school with the Galacticraft mod. My class might have to switch to that non-edu server when the students are ready to go to Mars.

Jeremy

Jeremy Wertheimer

Mar 5, 2014, 3:46:04 PM3/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind!  It seems to work now.  I had to turn on the end and nether and the end.

Jeremy

Jennifer Krouse

Mar 5, 2014, 7:15:00 PM3/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I had that problem when I forgot to enable nether & end in the teacher menu...hope that gets it working!
:)

Jennifer Krouse

Mar 5, 2014, 7:17:25 PM3/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Lol...I didn't see your last msg...I guess it did!
:)

Mark Dabler

Apr 14, 2014, 12:09:45 PM4/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello this is Mark Dabler from Legoland Discovery Center. We have also tried to put together a class using Galacticraft and are having similar issues. Once we hit space the ship keeps going and we fall to Earth. While we don't know the exact problem it seems to be missing a trigger to bring up the teleportation/landing menu. I myself have no way of fixing this but I thought I would put my theory out there. We are running Build 14 of minecraftedu, and we have tried developmental build 15 with no positive results. While the Mytown mod could be a way to teach just about the planets or moons. It ruins the chance for kids to learn how rockets work and their joy to see themselves blast off in one. I hope their is a fix real soon

Mark Dabler
Legoland Discovery Center

MisterA

Apr 14, 2014, 3:48:14 PM4/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I am currently working with Micdoodle and the dev team at TG to figure out how we can get this working. It is a popular mod and I think many people could find educational value in it. Currently we are at the beginning stages to identify what could be the issue.

I will keep this thread up to date with any progress.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Apr 14, 2014, 3:57:25 PM4/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark.

MinecraftEdu seems unable to load the dimension used for selecting whcih planet to go to (dimension 26 or 27).  If you absolutely need to launch in rockets, let the students launch and then warp them to mars (dimension 29) individually after their rocket disapears.

Another option is to use a galacticraft forge server not running minecraftedu and then the rocket will work correctly but each student will need a copy of Minecraft..

Personally I need MinecraftEdu tools for classroom management. I'm telling the students that there is a bug. They can launch if they want, then fall, then use the teleporter next to the launch pad/spawn point to get to Mars.

Note, galacticraft airlock blocks and airlock controllers don't work in MinecraftEdu either.  The students will need to either use the oxygen bubble generator instead of the sealer, or the more advanced students can build redstone powered sticky piston airlocks.  Note also that galacticraft blocks don't work with sticky pistons.

Jeremy

Jennifer Krouse

Apr 14, 2014, 7:55:34 PM4/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I found a way to blast off with MinecraftEdu! I think part of the problem may be that Galacticraft does not recognize the Edu alias. If you launch the client in Online mode and change the Edu name to be the same as the Minecraft username, everything works great!
:)
Maize

MisterA

Apr 14, 2014, 9:05:00 PM4/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
HHmm...good to know Maize, will bring it up to Toni tonight....and give it a try.

James Potter

Apr 25, 2014, 9:30:00 AM4/25/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Any updates? Can you explain how you did that, Maize?

Brent

Apr 30, 2014, 2:45:25 PM4/30/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Are there any updates on this?

EduElfie

Apr 30, 2014, 7:04:07 PM4/30/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
This is currently being investigated by Toni, so hopefully there will be some progress soon.

Elfie.

to...@teachergaming.com

May 9, 2014, 2:40:50 AM5/9/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Good news. We found the issue and it should be fixed in the latest build 17. Grab it from the Lanucher's Updates and let me know how it goes.

Jeremy Wertheimer

May 10, 2014, 1:40:37 PM5/10/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toni,
I used the latest edu build 17.  Travelling to a galactictaft dimension via the tier 2 rocket and building a galacticraft airlock still don't work for me.
Jeremy

Mark Dabler

May 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM5/19/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Same, the GUI still doesn't pop up when I hit outer space. Is their a certain version I should be using that does work. I am using build 17 too.

to...@teachergaming.com

May 20, 2014, 5:24:15 AM5/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Okay we did some pretty heavy testing with ShaneA and found the issues and they all seem to be fixed now. The build 17 is infact broken but I'll push these changes that I made to the next release. For everything to work properly make sure you got "nether & end" enabled. So build 18 should fix this once and for all.

Jeremy Wertheimer

May 20, 2014, 8:49:32 PM5/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Toni,

My students went to Mars today in MinecraftEdu/galacticraft with the MyTown warping workaround but next time I'll teach it with the rockets.

Jeremy

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 5:24 AM, <to...@teachergaming.com> wrote:
Okay we did some pretty heavy testing with ShaneA and found the issues and they all seem to be fixed now. The build 17 is infact broken but I'll push these changes that I made to the next release. For everything to work properly make sure you got "nether & end" enabled. So build 18 should fix this once and for all.

MisterA

May 20, 2014, 11:40:59 PM5/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
It was awesome to actually have it working as intended...the mini game for the landing of the lunar module...and the balloon landing for the mars section.

I will try to get some time to test out more in depth the airlock system...but I think it should be working now.

If you get this, you don't have nether and end turned on...

One small step for MinecraftEdu...one new unit for MisterA next year!

That's Toni late for take off again!

Michael Harvey

May 21, 2014, 8:29:41 AM5/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh Shane, why did you have to post the screenshots??  Now this looks too awesome to pass up and I'm worried I'm going to have learn/obsess over another new mod. :)

MisterA

May 21, 2014, 4:57:24 PM5/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Haha...it is fun Mike...I didn't even post the screenshots of the "secrets" that the moon and mars hold....I will let you find those out on your own!
Or about the create your own space station...HHmm....

Jeremy Wertheimer

May 22, 2014, 7:39:56 PM5/22/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I just tried version 18.  The rockets and airlocks work.

Jeremy

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM, MisterA <shane.as...@gmail.com> wrote:
Haha...it is fun Mike...I didn't even post the screenshots of the "secrets" that the moon and mars hold....I will let you find those out on your own!
Or about the create your own space station...HHmm....

BrainStorm

May 26, 2014, 1:17:56 PM5/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

How do we go about getting access to build 18?  I only download build 14 from the website.

Many thanks,

Darren

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, Jeremy Wertheimer wrote:
I just tried version 18.  The rockets and airlocks work.

Jeremy
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM, MisterA <shane.as...@gmail.com> wrote:
Haha...it is fun Mike...I didn't even post the screenshots of the "secrets" that the moon and mars hold....I will let you find those out on your own!
Or about the create your own space station...HHmm....

Matt Coia

May 26, 2014, 1:52:43 PM5/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hit the update button inside the launcher itself.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Minecraft Teachers" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/minecraft-teachers.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/minecraft-teachers/3429ceab-c891-4ff3-8877-4acf3ee02014%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Beckwith

Jun 18, 2014, 1:50:33 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I need to get this working ASAP for a special class. I've got MonecraftEdu build 20 and just downloaded the latest versions of Glacticraft core, Micdoodle core, and the Galacticraft planets .jar files. I placed them in the mods folders in the minecraft and server folders within minecraftedu Application Support (Mac).
When I run the launcher and click the Mods button, I can select Galacticraft and Galacticraft Mars, but the Mars mod always deselects as soon as I leave that screen. I can create a new world with the server launcher, join it in multiplayer mode, but when I try to view the mods, it says Mars add-on is disabled (no child).
I've never used Galacticraft, but nothing looks different in this world to suggest that Galacticraft is even running.
Please help!
Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Jennifer Krouse

Jun 18, 2014, 3:20:42 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello Chris,
If the mods have been copied into the correct folders (looks like you have done that) then they should already be selected when you open the mods screen in the launcher. You should not have to check/uncheck them manually.

In an attempt to clear any old settings, maybe try removing the mod files from their folders and launch without them, then close everything down and then put the files back again...do they appear checked in the mods screen by default?
A fresh install of Edu may help, but since your not getting a crash...hmm...could you send a screenshot of your mod window?

Installed Mods - already checked by default
Inline image 1

Hopefully we can get this working for you too!

Maize

Jennifer Krouse

Jun 18, 2014, 3:34:12 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I should mention...I'm running an older version of GC because another mod is dependant on it...but Galacticraft 2.0.13 also works, and should be the one your using, right?
:)

Beckwith Chris

Jun 18, 2014, 5:44:40 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Don't know why, but I had to use the Select/Unselect All button, and then the Mars mod stayed active.
Now I just need to learn how to use the mod!

-Chris Beckwith
*Lord of Technology*
Reeds Brook Middle School
Hampden, ME   USA

Jennifer Krouse

Jun 18, 2014, 5:48:21 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Glad its working! Yay!

There are LOTs of youtube vids out there for Galacticraft....did you have an idea of what you would like to do?
Happy to help if you have any more questions!

Good luck,
Maize

MisterA

Jun 18, 2014, 6:41:25 PM6/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris,

Just a suggestion...and from my experience using MCEdu and Mods for the past year...

If you haven't checked out the mod and understand what it does and adds...you may want to. Not being prepared can lead to a big waste of time in class. Look at it like preparing any lesson. You would always go over your content and lesson before hand.

Galacticraft is not as simple as just put a rocket down..and blast off to the moon.

If played in survival mode, there is a lot of gathering required of resources..then crafting..and all that...this could take..days of play time.

If you are playing it in creative mode, then you really miss out on all of the learning moments and problem solving that a mod like Galacticraft can offer.

Then on top of that when you get to the moon...it starts all over again. It is a wonderful mod and would make a wonderful unit.

Good luck with your sessions.

Jeremy Wertheimer

Jun 19, 2014, 10:24:38 PM6/19/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I was teaching elementary school and putting it on creative mode led to chaos.  They could, for example, summon a thousand chickens.  I created a level that provided examples of some of the available building materials in galacticraft.  The students went in and practiced (on the overworld.) They then submitted a list of materials they would need to colonize Mars. The aim was to set up a sustainable source of food, energy and oxygen as well as provide shelter. They had to work together so we ended up created groups of students responsible for each component of their base. I talked to the student about the advantage of bringing seeds for wheat and trees rather than bread and blocks of wood. I didn't allow fantastical material like diamond pickaxes, swords, armors, or potions.  i put in some red herrings like carpet and flower pots. I provided very little structure on how to build a Mars base but we did do research presentations on building in challenging environments like Antartica, International Space Station, and under the sea.
Once on Mars, I let them spend a little time in MinecraftEdu Mode (invulnarable), then moved it to regular mode: easy, then medium, then  on the last day, Hard Difficulty.  They had to stop themselves from starving and suffucating. Their characters died a lot.  When I did this, they dropped all their items.  This also lead to screams and tears.   Its more realistic but if you want to avoid chaos wiht young students, let them keep their items when they die.
Let me know if you want copies of my Mars Mission levels.

Kevin Jarrett

Beckwith Chris

Jun 20, 2014, 6:15:10 AM6/20/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic suggestions, everyone. I'm working with small groups of middle school students at a science and math summer camp for the next 6 weeks. We're designing a Mars colony similar to what Jeremy described. These kids typically are pretty disciplined and should produce some amazing results with this mod.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/minecraft-teachers.

Michele McColgan

Jun 23, 2014, 5:27:34 PM6/23/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had any experience running Galacticraft on a single server with ~20 students?  Will the server crash if everyone's trying to launch their rockets?  We have a camp planned in a few weeks and we're trying to decide whether we should have a few servers available or will one be able to handle it?

Same question for Mystcraft.  If we have ~20 kids playing with Mystcraft in the same world, should we expect crashes?

Thanks,
Michele

Chris Beckwith

Jun 23, 2014, 9:22:50 PM6/23/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I just did today… well, almost 20. I had a group of 14 all on one server (MacBook Air) with a (nearly) simultaneous launch and it was AWESOME. No lag, no crash, just AWESOME. The kids thought it was so cool. Now to start our Mars colony.

-Chris

Message has been deleted

Jennifer Krouse

Jun 24, 2014, 2:40:04 PM6/24/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hello Halligator,

I'm also getting a blank page when trying to download...looks like a new version of GC is available, 2.0.14 - but no good if no one can download it! I'm sure they will fix that soon, until then, here is a link to the previously most recent version:
Enjoy!
Maize

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM, 'Halligator1' via Minecraft Teachers <minecraft...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hey guys.
So I was superexcited for my first day of my summer vacation. Home alone, and ready to set up Galacticraft for a test run... Then imagine the disappointment when I couldn't even download to the mod.
Is this the right site?
The adfoc.us is doing exactly that to me.. Giving me only a blank page when trying to move on past the ads. Does anyone know anything about this?
Or have a valid downloadlink?

Chris Beckwith

Halligator1

Jun 24, 2014, 5:09:32 PM6/24/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I tried out this one
 and it worked out great. So there must be an issue with that link.
Very excited for tomorrows real testing. Looks amazing.

Jennifer Krouse

Jun 24, 2014, 5:22:10 PM6/24/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yay! I had totally forgotten about the dev page!

Thank you Halligator,
Maize

Elisa Farrell