Need help, MinecraftEDU 1.7.10_20 crashing on launch

Joshua Enos

Jan 19, 2016, 11:14:58 AM1/19/16
to Minecraft Teachers

Version 1.7.20 build 20 (stable), fresh generic install with no customization. Launcher works, I get the first screen, choose "Start Minecraft EDU" then "Launch". The windows disappear but the game window never appears. I have Java 8 update 66 installed. Running Windows 7 64bit and have the 64 bit Java installed, video drivers are the latest available. Here is the latest crash report:

Jan 19, 2016, 11:17:44 AM1/19/16
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Joshua,

That crash report indicates that the graphics drivers are still not up to the task. Make sure you get the drivers directly from the graphics card manufacturer and not from Windows/Microsoft.

Joshua Enos

Jan 19, 2016, 11:34:28 AM1/19/16
to Minecraft Teachers
Thanks Matt, that doesn't seem accurate though, as I have run MCEDU on this computer as recently as last week. I also have a similar machine with more powerful Intel graphics that exhibits the same issue. Is Java 8_66 not a supported version, or is there an incompatibility with this combination?
Joshua,

Matt Coia

Jan 19, 2016, 11:38:03 AM1/19/16
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I have not heard of any issues with that version of Java. Sometimes things change without any notice. I would still look at re-installing graphics drivers if I were you.
Joshua,

EduElfie

Jan 19, 2016, 4:05:59 PM1/19/16
to Minecraft Teachers
Hi Joshua, Matt is right, that is definitely a graphics card issue. Was the version of MinecraftEdu you were running an older version perhaps? There was a big jump in the base code of Minecraft from 1.6 to 1.7 that changed the graphics requirements. If updating the graphics drivers from the manufacturers website (not the windows update service) doesn't work, then you may need to roll back to the version that worked.

Elfie.

Joshua Enos

Jan 20, 2016, 1:46:47 PM1/20/16
to Minecraft Teachers
I solved this by rolling drivers back to an older version. This was a laptop that I was using as a testbed for upgrading our labs to Windows 10, and in the experimentation, had to roll back to Windows 7. Apparently, even after installing the recommended driver for Win7, it still wasn't appropriate. A roll back solved the issue.

As it turns out though, the driver that works with this particular chipset under Win10 is a much older driver than the Win8.1 driver that is available. I could not even manually install the Win 8.1 drivers to this machine under Win10.

The moral of the story is, if your district forces an upgrade to Windows 10 on unsupported hardware, Minecraft/MinecraftEDU may cease to function due to Win 10 using outdated drivers for graphics.

Chris Goodson

May 25, 2016, 4:22:55 PM5/25/16
to Minecraft Teachers
Raising this thread from the dead.

I agree. The Magical Unwanted Update Fairy visited one of my Minecraft labs and changed five of the 30 computers from Win7 to
Win10.

I'm now having the same problem.

Any thoughts on drivers?

Joshua Enos

May 25, 2016, 4:31:56 PM5/25/16
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Your best option is, unfortunately, to roll them back to Win7. If drivers for your graphics hardware don't already exist for Windows 10, they likely never will be.  In the Settings for Win10 you should be able to locate the updates section and find a walk through for downgrading. HowToGeek has an excellent tutorial:

If you’ve upgraded a PC to Windows 10 — not performed a clean install, but an upgrade — you’ll have an easy option that lets you revert to the last version of Windows. To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

Curious though, these machines are not managed by an IT department that has blocked the update? It shouldn't be possible for it to happen automatically or be triggered by students. Might be time to check on some security protocols too.
----------
This message originated from Gaston County Schools.
 All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement and the media.

Joshua Enos
Building Computer Technician
Portage West Middle School
Moorsbridge Elementary School
323-5138

EduElfie

May 25, 2016, 8:24:34 PM5/25/16
to Minecraft Teachers
Before rolling back to win7 the first thing you should do is try to update your drivers for win 10. Just make sure you use the manufacturers website, don't rely on windows to have the latest drivers. So find out what the graphics card is, who the manufacturer is and head to their website and see if there are updated drivers for your particular card.

Elfie.

Katherine Wales

Mar 13, 2018, 5:53:49 PM3/13/18
to Minecraft Teachers
Yes i am having the same issue after the lab was upgraded to windows 10, 9 out or 37 machines will not load/launch the game console.  any ideas?
 (The Launcher opens and the MinecraftEDU Login Mode launches, however after selecting “Launch” the Game/MinecraftEdu 1.7.10 (stable Build 22) does not launch/open.)

James Shuler

Mar 14, 2018, 7:56:08 AM3/14/18
to Minecraft Teachers
After upgrading our computer lab to Windows 10, the only way I could launch MinecraftEDU 1.7.10 was to remove the current version of Java and install jre-8u51-x64, which you can find at the link below.  Installing a newer Java version causes the game to crash.  The only issue is you will be using an outdated Java version, which could pose a security risk.  Our computer lab computers are really only used for Minecraft and some after-school clubs, so this is not much of an issue.  We also have updated Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes.

Matt Coia

Mar 14, 2018, 8:01:02 AM3/14/18
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
As has been stated before, the first step would be video driver updates from the video card/motherboard manufacturer for the problematic computers. Do not rely on the built in automatic updates.