Geologic Timeline and Geology Exhibits

Gneiss Name

Nov 8, 2021, 5:59:44 PM11/8/21
to Minecraft Teachers
Hello,

I'm a geologist and have done some outreach in the past with real life examples comparing to Minecraft.  With covid I wanted to make something virtual and had the idea to make a scaled model of geologic time in a world that students could walk through.  This really helps with understanding the age of the earth and when things happened.

Its a work in progress and currently it has the timeline where 1 block equals 1 million years.  There is a diorama that runs the entire length that roughly represents what the earth would look like at the time.  Major times are marked off with colors and signs and the starting area has teleports to points through time.

2021-11-08_16.23.27.png
I have lecterns along the timeline that i plan to use to describe each time period but haven't yet.  I have also added signs that mark major events in earths history, like ice ages, evolution of trilobites, etc.
2021-11-08_16.24.43.png
2021-11-08_16.26.13.png
The starting area has some descriptions of how the world works as well as some interactive exhibits that go over the fundamental laws of geology. At various points along the timeline there are also exhibits that discuss geologic materials in minecraft and how they differ from real life.
2021-11-08_16.25.04.png
I plan to add more over time and will probably make some big changes when the caves and cliffs part 2 is out.

If you are interested in it, I'll put a link to the current world download below (is a 1.17.1 java world)

I have also made a few youtube videos about the exhibits and the timeline that explain things a bit more.

If anyone has suggestions or comments, I would love to hear them.

P.S. I tried to find the announcements, rules, and FAQs before posting but the link doesn't take you anywhere and I didn't find anything searching the post.  So i hope I'm not breaking a rule or something.

Ivy He

Nov 9, 2021, 12:20:08 AM11/9/21
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
OK
I will tell my students this.
Minecraft Is a very educational game.
I get notes from parents saying: ' My children really want to become builders because they have been playing Minecraft!'
Kind regards,
-Ivy
Year 4 teacher

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and notify the sender immediately. An email response is not deemed received until actually read by the intended recipient.