Custom NPCs support

Noppes

Nov 25, 2013, 3:23:57 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi I should probably start with introducing myself. Im Noppes the creator of Custom NPCs mod.

I recently stumbled upon this group and figured Id make a support thread here, because I saw some older posts where people were having problems with the mod.

If you have any questions or suggestions to make the mod better, post them here.

ps. I love what you guys are doing

ShaneA

Nov 25, 2013, 3:58:07 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Noppes,

First off, love the mod and everything it provides to a world. It is definitely one of the standard mods that are included on all the clients at my school.

I requested this on twitter, but of course I didn't have enough characters to explain why the feature would be great to have.

Using NBTEdit you can force villagers to have custom trades. It isn't the easiest thing to do, and it takes a lot of time to get it working. Specially when you are creating 10...20...30 vendors. Within these custom trades you can have a trader request for instance two items for one item. 2 wooden coins and 3 stone coins for a bed for instance.

I use this concept for the in game economy within my primary map at school. Being able to do this in CustomNPCs would be so much easier as the interface is far more friendly and the ability to clone a vendor would vastly improve the process.

So the request I have is would it be possible to allow CustomNPCs to do a 2 item for 1 item trade system.

Thanks
ShaneA

EduElfie

Nov 25, 2013, 4:03:41 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I would definitely second this, and add in that the ability to have many students interacting with the traders at the one time, which you can already do with custom NPC's would also add to this and is a major limitation of using vanilla NBT'd villagers as traders.

Elfie.

Noppes

Nov 25, 2013, 6:26:07 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well its not like I cant add it, but it would require almost a complete rewrite of the traders code, which I would like to prevent, because Im not sure if I would be able to provide backwards compatibility. Making all current traders reset.

However, I can easily make a simple GUI that lets you configure villager trades. Also in the 1.6.4 version the npc cloner can actually be used to copy any ingame entity. So are already able to easily clone your villagers.

Eric

Nov 25, 2013, 7:37:39 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes!! A legend is among us!

Thank you so much for all your work so far. Please know that your work has helped in the education and engagement of MANY students around the world. For example, my World of Humanities, which as you know relies heavily on your mod, has recently made my Dropbox account exceed its bandwidth because of all the teachers downloading it around the world.

My students thank you for your work, I thank you, and all the teachers who use Custom NPCs here in education thank you.

My only request, you already know from the Minecraft forums - PLEASE do your best to ensure compatibility of current NPCs with 1.7! Even item replacement (unique items created for quests, etc.) would be extremely difficult with how many quests, etc. have already been set up. I know Mojang is not making this easy for you with all the 1.7 code changes, but please do your best.

Thanks again! You're a hero!

Noppes

Nov 25, 2013, 7:48:14 AM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha thanks :D

Its still not sure if Ill be able to keep them. The moment I know more Ill let you know. Im hoping forge will update in 2-3 weeks. This can ofcourse take longer.

EduElfie

Nov 25, 2013, 4:33:27 PM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I had read somewhere, was it the Minecraft forums post, that you might be possibly losing all of the NPC's but keeping all the dialogue and quest data, that would really suck for map makers. If it does turn out that you will lose all of them regardless, would you mind investigating the adding of a second trading item? If not the more simple gui for editing vanilla villagers would be amazing, again if you are willing, it would be much appreciated, our current method of in-game NBT editing takes at least 5 mins each and is very clunky and non-intuitive.

I do have one more, what I hope to be a simple, request. From memory, and it is a distant memory so you may have already fixed it, the NPC's do not recognise damage values when trading. For example, I was going to give each of my students an individual 'payslip' that had a unique damage value and then modify the NPC accordingly depending on how much money they earned that week, however in my tests the students could just put their paper/letter in and pull out any pay they liked.

Also I take it the cloning wand is just a NBT copier then, I never knew that, that is awesome to know, does that mean it would work on chests, this might mean an easier way to do things rather than using the In-Game NBT Edit mod that we currently use to copy things around the place.

Elfie.

Noppes

Nov 25, 2013, 4:47:07 PM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You might loose them yes, because a lot of things have changed in 1.7. Im not 100% sure was just preparing people for the possibility.

I think I fixed something like that yes. They should take into acount the damage value when trading.

The cloner only works on entities not on blocks.

EduElfie

Nov 25, 2013, 5:15:38 PM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, thanks for the clarification. I hope you do not lose too much with the update to 1.7 I imagine there will be a bit of backlash from the general community, even though it is nowhere near your fault, if you cannot keep backwards compatibility. Hopefully when forge gets updated it will all work perfectly and you can keep developing this wonderful mod.

Elfie.

Maize

Nov 25, 2013, 10:57:28 PM11/25/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes! OMG!!!
I have to say hello because I'm a fan. Thank you very much for your awesome mods!
Maize

Halligator1

Nov 26, 2013, 8:41:47 AM11/26/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The toturial for CustomNPC is on my coming-up-playlist at YouTube. Very excitetd that you are also a part of this group.
I am currently building the schools server, and will most likely try to include your mod on that. I am thinking the school has to have a Questworthy Headmaster in her office :)
Very excited to figure out what the mod can actully do, and will be in need of this support :)
Hal

Joel Solomon

Dec 3, 2013, 7:18:21 PM12/3/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Nice to meet the creator of the Custom NPC mod!

As a "newbie" how do I get your mod installed in my computer lab at school for kids to interact with NPCs? Is there a link to download somewhere (with directions on how to install)?

Thanks....

Joel S.

Rick M

Dec 3, 2013, 7:37:20 PM12/3/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much every mod has a thread on the official Minecraft forums, and sometimes they have their own website. I usually do a Google search for the mod name and look for an official website or the Minecraft forum search result and go from there.

For example, searching "Custom NPC mod Minecraft" in Google brings up the Minecraft Forums thread for the mod as the first hit.

Most popular mods follow the same framework for Minecraft Forum threads. You'll have a top "table of contents" section with links to the different topics, or sometimes there will be section headers with the information for that section hidden with the Spoiler tag. Click on the Spoiler tag, and the section expands. It's a way of condensing a lot of information into a readable forum format.

First two links in the Custom NPC table of contents are "Starting Info" and "Installation Guide." :)

Joel Solomon

Dec 4, 2013, 12:58:24 AM12/4/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Any special considerations for MC Edu? Does the version (1.6.4 Build 6 in EDU vs 1.7.2 in "regular" Minecraft) matter when deciding which Custom NPC to download? I tried searching, and got overwhelmed with the many options and choices out there. Maize has a whole list of mods available, and was wondering if that would work. Most mods I search for are intended for Minecraft and not Minecraft EDU, or they don't include separate instructions for using with the EDU version.

I'm still intimidated by mods since I had some issues with them crashing the game and having to reinstall MC. At least I learned to make a backup before making changes next time! Maybe someone can help clarify exactly which mods are built-in to the EDU version, and how this affects choosing mods to install from other websites. I watched the installation video from the link you shared, and "ForgeMod" is a requirement to install first, but don't really understand what ForgeMod does. Doesn't EDU come with Forge already installed? If so, how does that affect the installation procedure? I know I can probably find the answers to most of these questions on the web, but I prefer the discussion format here because it feels more personal and collaborative, and I can ask questions for clarification.

Thanks for being patient.

Joel S.

EduElfie

Dec 4, 2013, 2:57:11 AM12/4/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Joel, there are many tutorials on installing mods, I have a specific one for MCEdu here MinecraftEdu Tutorial - Installing Mods and you just need to make sure you get the mod version that is compatible with Minecraft 1.6.4.

I use http://modlist.mcf.li/version/1.6.4/ (although getting that link, I know see they have redone the entire website) to get the correct versions.

Elfie.

Noppes

Dec 4, 2013, 4:21:21 AM12/4/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joel,

The MCEdu wiki has a list with tested mods that work for MCEdu http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modding.

Installing is not something I can help you with. I dont own a copy of MinecraftEdu. For regulat minecraft you need to first install forge. Forge is used what mods use to be loaded to keep compatibility. In the past everybody was just editing minecraft base classes and thus conflicting with each other. Forge is included with MinecraftEdu which is why it can load mods. In general to install mods you will just need to drag the mods zip to a certain folder. Incase of regular minecraft that would be to the .minecraft/mods folder.

About versions: In general the mods version needs to match Minecrafts versions, this is especially true with mayor updates e.g. 1.6.x to 1.7.x. Minor updates are sometimes compatible, but not always, e.g. my mod for 1.6.2 works for 1.6.4, but my 1.4.5 didn't work for 1.4.7.

Halligator1

Dec 7, 2013, 5:09:01 AM12/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey
I am trying out The CustomNPCs on my school server using MinecraftEdu v.1.6.4 build 6, but when I am trying to use the NPC tools by right-cliking them, they just disapear from my inventory?
The only tool that gives an reaction is the cloner, but even though there is meny of some spawning, when I try to spwan them, the tool just disapear. It seems to my that there is something I have not allowed my server to do, but I think I have enabled what is to enable through the EDU teacher screen.
Can you help me?

Hal

ShaneA

Dec 7, 2013, 5:20:24 AM12/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Hal,

The tools disappear? or the NPC you are making disappears?

It sounds like you do not have the mod on the server, but only on the client. Check that it is in both places.

Also check that you are using the Custom NPCs version for 1.6.4
Message has been deleted

Halligator1

Dec 7, 2013, 6:07:03 AM12/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shane. Of course that was the case. It was my first mod install, and even though I knew it should be both on the server and the client, I kind of figured that since I was using the same maschine as a server.... Well you know... But now I got it working. Thanks.

One more question though. (for now :))
If I use my own textures on the some of the NPC's, do I need to install all of those also at the clients, or is it enough them beeing on the server?  (I'm guessing YES, but asking anyways) I created a statue of liberty NPC, and was wondering how it would look to the students?

ShaneA

Dec 7, 2013, 6:12:13 AM12/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yeah the skins have to be on all the client side.

\minecraftedu\minecraft\assets\customnpcs\textures\entity

That is the location you should put your skins. If you like you can even make a folder to separate the types of skins. I have folders like professions, festive, famous people, animals...etc.

Hope that helps. If there is another way to do it, maybe Noppes can answer that.

I have seen people put them into resource packs....as well.

Karel

Dec 7, 2013, 3:40:55 PM12/7/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
There are 3 ways to add skins:
  1. As Shane said put them in your \minecraftedu\minecraft\assets\customnpcs\textures\entity folder
  2. Put them in the customnpcs.zip in the \assets\customnpcs\textures\entity folder
  3. Put them in your texture/resource pack in the \assets\customnpcs\textures\entity folder

They need to be add on the client, server doesnt need the textures. I believe minecraft 1.7 will once again have a way to make clients automatically download resource packs from a server when they join a server. For now you will have to install them by hand

Khrydios CH

Dec 17, 2013, 7:37:05 AM12/17/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Noppes! As minecraft fans and long time players we decided to create a big minecraft project.
Our idea is to create a RPG based on your Custom NPCs Mod, but we wanted to challenge the mod by building a huge story with over 100 of quests and about 800 dialogs so far, own composed background music integrated by bards and a giant map with so many big cities.. Now its almost 2 years of working on "Khrydios", and we know your mod very well.

So, you can imagine that we love working with your mod, and because we do, here are some ideas, which would probably create some new possibilities for RPG maps:

- It would be great, if you would add a time option to the "Moving Path" section, so it would be possible to do cutscenes from the past or near future of the player. You put the character behind a red-stone closed door, when the player is teleported to cutscene-location, the first point of the path is going to be activated by opening the door and make the walk possible. Worked so far but its accidential when the characters go their way (walk to any point starts between 1 an 20 sec. after last one)

- Thought about the fight possibilities and tried the  "Magic Crusade" Mod, would be awesome to have something like that in your mod, or just something making fights more interesting and varied.

- Is it possible not to leave the "Lines" Options to chance? As you could chose which possibility should come first.

- If the "World-Lines" section had an option to chose when the specific line should appear, maybe by activating red-stone or any other, you could create more realistic Boss-characters and a lot more.

If you read this, thank you for doing such a hard work for making us happy and sorry for the bad english, we are from switzerland.

Would be nice to hear from you!

Greetings
Khrydios-Team
(Check out our first game trailer on profile (when you have finished your work of course;), just german but you understand the pictures!)

ChaosBuster

Dec 17, 2013, 11:58:33 AM12/17/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes, thanks for the great mod! We used it in a Mars Mission session this fall.

I noticed the link that you refer to on the MinecraftEdu forum is one for 1.5 .1 that I had contributed to in the spring. I've noticed Maize has been doing some great work evaluating mods with MinecrafteEdu.

Maize, do you intend to update the wiki? I'm currently working on our TechnoLauncher in seeing if I can package MinecraftEdu with some mods and maps for lesson packs which will ease this download of mods and configuring at our location. Will see later if we can make it more widely available.

Jeanette

Noppes

Dec 17, 2013, 4:12:09 PM12/17/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Khrydios,

1) I can probably making give moving paths a global delay. Making the delay per point might be a bit more difficult
2) Never hear of that mod Ill have a look at it thanks
3) Sure I can do that. Ill add it in 1.7
4) Im about to release an update with a conversation job, which gives you that exact option

Id love to play your map when its done. The trailer looks great.

Noppes

Dec 17, 2013, 4:36:49 PM12/17/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Glad you enjoy it ^^

There is a MinecraftEdu forums? I had no idea. I only happened to find this group either because my website got mentioned on John Millers webblog and when I went to check out his other posts about minecraft and teaching I found a link to here.

Might I make a suggestion for the MinecraftEdu guys?
  • Give modders some general information about MinecraftEdu (Only reason I know about MinecraftEdu was, because of eric and his World of Humanities he contacted me about it)
  • To start with maybe give some modders a copy of MinecraftEdu so they can test things out and see how it actually works (Yes this might only be because I want to test out the World of Humanities map, but Im sure it useful for other stuff as well :P)
  • Make seperate pages for the mods on your wiki and give modders access to edit and add more information, I'd also happily link people to it on my forum and website

ChaosBuster

Dec 18, 2013, 9:57:17 PM12/18/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes, as I was working through the credits for the combined work of the Wonderful World Of Humanities, I noticed that your ZIP of AnimalBikes and CustomNPCs does not have a mcmod.info file.  You might want to include this in your ZIP to make sure people use the right link you want for credits, support, versioning, etc.

HikariKishi

Dec 21, 2013, 9:15:59 PM12/21/13
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Noppes,

Up near the beginning of this thread, there was talk of three places to put extra skins.

I know where to put them in the resource pack, but I cannot seem to select them in the game.

Any thoughts on that? Or is there more details you could give me about using them in the Resource Pack?

Khrydios CH

Jan 1, 2014, 8:19:01 AM1/1/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi noppes! Thank you for the answer, this sounds awesome!
We can create a lot more possibilties for our quests.

But would it be possible to spawn npcs at a specific point AFTER completing a quest or dialoge?
Another thing is in the follow option. Can you create an option that makes it possible that a npc follows you WITHOUT a gift, maybe by entering a specific range?

Just other ideas, would be great if you could do this but nevertheless, we are waiting hopefully for the update and will enjoy it no matter what!

Greetings khrydios

Noppes

Jan 6, 2014, 4:15:32 AM1/6/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@HikariKishi
Hmm I have not heard before that it doesnt work. Ill test it once I get home

@
Khrydios CH
Both those requests dont really work for multiplayer servers. What happens to the second or third player completes that quest. Will it spawn again, but it's already there
.
I also often get the request to make it possible to remove npcs after a dialog or quest, but that won't work of multiplayer servers as well. I probably won't add something like that yet.
I am thinking of perhaps making them invisible and hook that to availability options but that would require a massive rewrite of my code.

FrancescoDS

Jan 7, 2014, 5:12:26 AM1/7/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Hello Noppes, I have a couple issues for you:
The first is about repeteable quests: On my server I'm planning to insert weekly-repeteable quests to gain money.
The problem is that when you link a repeatable quest to a dialog, that dialog is available even when the quest cannot be taken yet.
So, it would be nice to make dialogs automatically unavailable when the attached quest is not available yet, or maybe adding to the quest section in availability options the "When available" and "When not available", wich will add even more uses (for example, when a quest in unavailable, you can display a dialog such as "come back later, there is nothing for you here, now").

The second issue is about documentation... new boss features are quite self-explanatory, but I still cannot figure out how to use the conversation job. Even with the last hint, can't understand it.

The last issue is about mail feature. I tried multiple times using it, with my players and even sending mails myself, but they never arrive. I'm running your mod on an MCPC+ server, and no errors are popping up (in chat you can even read "you successfully sent your mail to XXXX", but still the mailbox is empty

jacobch...@hotmail.com

Jan 9, 2014, 9:04:10 PM1/9/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

HEY NOPPES.

I would like to say that you are a god among men to the mine craft mod world.  (I'm sure you here that a lot and that flattery will get me no where)
I love the concepts on your to-do list and I have already began to make extensive use of your sounds options (via recording character dialog and lines).

I'm not usually one to barge my own fat head into someone's creativity...However, I have been trying to find loopholes to 3 ideas with no avail

1. { The Farewell }

A little pet peeve is when I have fully recorded dialog except when you leave :(  I would be quite happy if you could add a sound input to the "close" dialog option so that when I click "goodbye" in a guards dialog, I will exit the talk and the guard will say a recorded "farewell"

2. {Ambience Improvement}

One of the great things you added was the ability to add your own music. I only wish it weren't so restrictive. I know that this would most likely be complicated, but rather then set up a jux box based music system could you perhaps make it so that I can set a region or space where a music file is played? (ie. a 12 by 8 space that plays a bar ambience of people drinking and laughing)

or a village which plays it's themed music until you leave it's walls and it fades away

It has been very disheartening to try to work around stretching my soundtracks across large villages and not being able to play 2 songs at once (ie. theme music in a village while a bar ambience is added when you walk into the bar in that village)

3. { The Search Option }

I have desperately been trying to integrate a search method into my world. basically I have created a skin for a slime that appears to be a crate (if I could make it so I couldn't pass through him that'd be awesome too btw) I am trying to set up a dialog so that when I "talk" to the crate there will be two dialog options "Search" and "leave"

Basically it would be awesome if the "search" dialog option could initiate some sort role much like the item giver job only with more options. Some of which might be:

1. only give specific items during a quest
2. have a random chance to give a selection of different objects or nothing (ie. and empty search)
3. Only being able to be searched once every X amount of days ( this would make raiding a village VERY exciting as we could rummage through crates to find items and then come back every x amount of minecraft days to search again always getting a random item from it's selection or nothing)
4. the option of connecting the search role as a string (much like the linking teleport role)
 Basically one would set up a search role platform that would say:
- 6 entities included in search (example 6 crates scattered throughout a village)
- each entity can only be searched once for the quest
- each entity has the random chance to give one of the items in the platform
- BUT after searching all of them all items must be found (so you cannot get two of the same item or end up with not getting any of the items you were looking for)

I have even tried to simulate this by attempting to have a dialog command option option "kill" the crate so that it could drop it's random chance inventory and then simply spawn later. (but there doesn't seem to be any self-killing command for npc's :P)

This would open up immense quest abilities such as a quest in which an npc needs 3 particular items (or three of the same items) and they can possibly be found at 6 locations. when a location is searched and nothing is found the other 5 locations would have the random chance of 2 nothings and 3 items and so on and so forth

I apologize if I have over explained myself. I just didn't want you to think that this was a fleeting thought as I have but a lot of thought into it xP

ON THE WHOLE. you are doing magnificent things with this mod and I especially look forward to hireable doors for inns and contract killer npc's!

LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU MADE MY MINECRAFT EXPERIENCE A MIRACLE

..ps....Mojang should totally hire your creative ass..

Noppes

Jan 13, 2014, 6:47:10 AM1/13/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@FrancescoDS
  1. Sure I can add something like that currently you can use the before and not-available both to do something similar
  2. Im planning to improve my documentation
  3. Ive heard more problems. Im investigating them

@Lorithon
  1. Sure I can add that
  2. Thats like a completely seperate mod. I do like to keep the mod somewhat related to npcs even though its starting to become more of an adventure mod. So thats probably not something Ill add
  3. Basically you want a chest, that is linked to other chests and can give somewhat random items based on availability, but has different results per player? Hmm well minus the chest being linked and the different result per player I wouldnt mind putting it on my todo list. Have to warn you though it would be pretty low on my priority list

Speaking of the inndoors. Im still not entirely sure if I will add them. The problem is that if you rend a room there is most likely a bed in it, which if you sleep in will set your spawn point. The moment your rented door expires you will get stuck in that room after you die. Im not sure how Im going to solve this yet and if its solvable.

HikariKishi

Jan 14, 2014, 2:18:15 AM1/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Noppes,

So it seems that putting the custom skins in this location:
\minecraftedu\minecraft\assets\customnpcs\textures\entity folder

Does nothing and will not allow you to select the custom skins within the game.

After some searching, I noticed that there is another customnpcs folder being created here:
\minecraftedu\minecraft\customnpcs\assets\customnpcs\textures\entity folder

Not sure if this is working as intended or not, but when you put the skins in this folder, you can select them from inside the game.

Noppes

Jan 14, 2014, 3:40:03 AM1/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
In the recent update this was changed. Minecraft had a launcher update and ever since it was reseting everything in the assets folder. So I had to change the folder

For the entire changelog see
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/833003-162164-custom-npcs-splanmp/page__st__13860#entry27124426

Eric

Jan 14, 2014, 9:23:52 AM1/14/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes, help! I updated to the latest Edu, and I updated to the latest version of NPCs. But when I try to enter my world, my client crashes. The server does not crash. Crash report is below. I went to the mentioned coordinates, and an NPC is there (near my spawn point), laying down. It's an item-giver NPC. What's the problem?

Jan 15, 2014, 3:01:51 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Only thing I can think of is that your client doesnt have the same mods as your server. Try disabling/removing any mod that your server doesnt have

HikariKishi

Jan 15, 2014, 3:36:39 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Awesome thanks Noopes..that was dumb, should have went there and looked at the change log.

I had a feeling it changed, because in earlier versions it was working in that first location..then just stopped.

Thanks again.

Eric

Jan 15, 2014, 7:48:08 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I removed mods and added them back one at a time. Custom NPCs works. Backpacks works. Animal Bikes does not. It's causing the crash. Not sure why this could be. Oh.... I think I might have just thought of it. Maybe the animalbikes.cfg is not the same between client and server. I'll check on that.

Eric

Jan 15, 2014, 8:15:15 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
IT WORKS! The problem was the cfg files not matching between server and client. Personally, I think you should make it so that a server's CFG settings (for NPCs, Bikes, etc.) overrides a connecting client's settings. Or even get rid of the client-side CFG files altogether (since I think only the server ones would matter for those mods, since they aren't single-player).

Noppes

Jan 15, 2014, 8:23:36 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Automatically syncing is pointless with the current way adding entities work.

Currently entities are loaded when you start up minecraft. You can not add/remove them when you join a world or server.

Eric

Jan 15, 2014, 8:40:13 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well, now I have a new major problem. The mod isn't finding any of my dialogue, banks, recipes, quests, etc. etc. It thinks those files are not there. They ARE there (in the world's customnpcs folder, just like before), but it is not accessing them. When I click on an NPC that has a dialogue tree, it just opens the default villager dialogue, or sometimes nothing at all. Any idea??

Jeanette Breton

Jan 15, 2014, 9:55:43 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

I saw somewhat of the same thing last week when running WIFE under build7.  NPCs were not showing.  After making sure I had the correct world and NPCs files I restarted the server and they showed up.  This was on a Linux server.

Jeanette

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Jeanette Breton

Jan 15, 2014, 10:01:46 AM1/15/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com

Sorry WIFE = WOfH.  Smartphone is trying to be too smart....

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Eric

Noppes

Jan 16, 2014, 8:21:12 AM1/16/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@Eric
In the latest version nothing changed in the saving of quests/dialogs only the player data is saved slightly different, but that shouldnt effect them.

Have you tried redownloading custom npcs? Any sort of error in the server log?

Eric

Jan 16, 2014, 10:08:11 AM1/16/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I re-downloaded the mod, and still have the same problem. The server thinks I have no quest/dialogue data files, when I clearly do, and in the same location. No server error messages. Could this have something to do with MinecraftEdu using the new minecraft/mods/1.6.4/ folder now instead of the regular minecraft/mods/ folder? Or could it have to do with Edu using player alias for data? I noticed when I was using build 6 of Edu and the new custom NPCs, when I sent a mail, it said it was from Player761 and not "MrWalker", my player alias that Edu uses. Could there be a problem with that?

It just seems the problem is between Edu build 7 and the latest CustomNPCs. Build 6 runs the latest NPCs, and the older NPCs works in build 7. What could be the problem??

Michael Harvey

Jan 16, 2014, 11:07:33 AM1/16/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Eric, I don't have any answers for you, but I've also noticed the Player761 issues with my NPCs. Have you tried load up an older saved version of the WoH to test whether there's something wrong with that particular save?

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 2:32:21 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
There's not, because that exact same save works with build 6, and the older version of NPCs. There's just something not "connecting" between build 7 and the latest version of NPCs.

Noppes

Jan 17, 2014, 6:09:29 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Could you check the saves/your world/customnpcs/playerdata folder. Is there an <youringamename>.dat or only player<randomnumber>.dat files?

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 7:13:41 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
There was a MrWalker.dat file (and dat_old), but I deleted them because I thought they might be causing the issues. Now there's nothing there, and it can't make a new one because whenever I load up the world it thinks there are no dialogs.dat files etc. And if I save the world when it's not recognizing them, it overwrites all my dat files with blank ones. So I can't save the world with the new CustomNPCs version if I want to keep my actual dialog and quest files.

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 7:48:38 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Another interesting fact: when my old MrWalker.dat file is in the playerdata folder, NPCs dont do anything when I click on them - not even give interact lines that should be contained in the entity itself. After I delete the MrWalker.dat player data file, they react when I click on them, but still don't recognize the dialog, quest, recipe, faction, etc. files.

Noppes

Jan 17, 2014, 8:49:48 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The name MrWalker how do you name yourself that and when?

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 9:04:45 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
It's the name I log into MinecraftEdu with. All students are logged in with their own names, too. Edu requires you to enter your alias, and then saves all playerdata (backpack inventory and quitting location) according to your alias.

But it has always done this, not just with the new build. There is something new in the newest version of NPCs that is conflicting with this, would be my guess. But why it would stop NPCs from recognizing the world's dialogue, quests, recipes, factions, etc. files is beyond me. You would think it would only affect my personal data file, like what quests I had completed and what dialogue I had read, etc.

Noppes

Jan 17, 2014, 10:01:28 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well if I had to guess you login to the server as player<random number> and then get renamed to the correct name. By then its loaded from player.dat and when it saves it will save to yournewusername.dat. I can probably maybe fix this.

Eric do you happen to have skype? That would be easier for with fixing this as Ill have to test some things

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 11:20:50 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Yep I do. Username kain0067.

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 11:35:02 AM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
I thought of something else that may be the problem... Edu uses Forge 9.11.1.0 which I know is not the latest version of Forge for 1.6.4. Could that be causing conflicts with the latest version of NPCs?

Eric

Jan 17, 2014, 1:58:39 PM1/17/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Well Noppes and I worked together, and he fixed it!!!

It had something to do with using a new Forge server startup command, that loads some things before the server actually starts. Edu doesn't recognize the loaded world at that point in startup, so there were conflicts. This may affect other mods, too.

Noppes will be in touch with Aleksi, and hopefully this will help address any other potential conflicts with Edu and other mods.

Thanks again for your awesome work, Noppes!!

Eric

Jan 18, 2014, 9:46:49 AM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Loving the new version of the mod. Here is the compatible version for any Edu teachers who don't have it yet:

But one problem: the mailboxes can't be opened by students, as they don't have the permissions to open them when student building is turned off. Is there a way I can open permissions to a certain block (the mailboxes) or any other way around this issue, short of placing build allow blocks below every mailbox in the game? This is not a good solution, because then the mailboxes could be destroyed, or other blocks placed above them.

HikariKishi

Jan 18, 2014, 1:38:26 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I assume the version number of this file is the CustomNPCs_1.6.4.zip? If not please correct me and let everyone know what version you are talking about.

Also a direct link to the download from Noppes or his thread would be good. Not that your link doesn't work, but when people do a search for CustomNPCs mod, they will most likely get his web links.

Posting a custom named mod might not help new users or those of us helping them troubleshoot.

HikariKishi

Jan 18, 2014, 1:50:35 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
So I wanted to share for anyone that wanted to tr and get this working. After many tries, I have the custom textures for NPCs working in two possible ways.

Method 1:
Placing them into a client folder. Here is an image showing where to put the skins.

Method 2:
In this method you can place it into a resource pack and get your RP and Custom NPC skins all on one file.
Do not unzip this file, just keep it zipped.

Cloaks go into the...well..Cloak folder.
Custom NPC skins go into the Entity folder, within this folder you can separate your skins by theme if you want. Makes it easy to find and organize within the game UI of CustomNPCs.

Hope this little bit helps someone that is trying to do similar things.

EduElfie

Jan 18, 2014, 4:19:10 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
We have had this discussion before Eric, because it affects a lot of modded blocks. The blocks that students can right click on while student building is disabled is 'hard coded' into the mod, which means there is not a way put modded items into that list.

Elfie.

Eric

Jan 18, 2014, 4:20:18 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The version I posted is unique to Edu, and was just updated by Noppes last night. The "official" version doesn't work with Edu build 7.

Noppes

Jan 18, 2014, 4:29:16 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Actually I updated the official version. Should work with edu now too

HikariKishi

Jan 18, 2014, 4:59:30 PM1/18/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
You are the man Noppes!

Lisa Douthit

Jan 21, 2014, 10:59:22 AM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
So after last Tuesday's session and talking to our art teacher, I decided to up my game a bit.  For this little art world we are going to create, I decide to have an info center for the students when they come in world.  In the gathering spot, they can get some materials, an "artists" notebook and I also am incorporating custom NPCs that will dialog and give certain materials the student will need to complete the project.  The first NPC they encounter has 2 dialog lines and 1 item to give (a paintbrush).  I am sure that I am not doing some order or step correctly.  I set up the NPC and their role as an item giver, and have 2 dialogs, greeting and closing.  However, when I come in world as a student, the first dialog automatically comes up, the item is automatically given and so really negates the other piece of dialog.  I want the student to be able to dialog first and then receive the item upon clicking one of the dialog pieces.  I have put screen shots that I hope are helpful.  Once I get this guy down all my other characters will really be the same kind of things.  A couple of lines of dialog then item giving.

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:59:30 PM UTC-6, HikariKishi wrote:
You are the man Noppes!
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.46.45.png
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.47.06.png
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.47.31.png
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.47.44.png
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.47.53.png
Screenshot 2014-01-21 09.48.24.png

Eric

Jan 21, 2014, 11:19:20 AM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Don't set them as an item giver. They give automatically, no matter what.

Instead, design a quest, where the quest reward is the paintbrush. Set the quest to begin on the intro dialogue, and to be completed (a "dialogue quest" type) with the last dialogue you want students to read.

Noppes

Jan 21, 2014, 11:22:09 AM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thats not what the ItemGiver is job is for.
1) Set the role back to none
2) Find out the id of the brush (press f3 + h ingame and hover over the item to see the id)
3) If you are using the latest version set the dialog console command to /give @dp <your item id>

That will make the dialog give the player the correct item.

Lisa Douthit

Jan 21, 2014, 11:37:23 AM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric and Noppes!  Knew it was my own doing.  -Lisa

Michael Harvey

Jan 21, 2014, 12:23:24 PM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for asking Lisa. I've wanted to do something similar, but didn't know how.  I was trying the same things you tried.

Lisa Douthit

Jan 21, 2014, 12:59:22 PM1/21/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Mike - Let me know if you get it to work. I still think I am missing something.  I get the dialog, but it automatically shows the first choice in dialog. I want the student to have to click on the dialog question of their choice.  Also clicking on the dialog that would /give the item, it does nothing.  Something else I noticed is that on 1 of the dialogue graphics stays at the bottom, but on the other 3 questions, it disappears indicating I am still not doing something right. Is everyone meeting tonight? Perhaps we can discuss.

Khrydios CH

Jan 24, 2014, 11:40:10 AM1/24/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hi noppes! We recognized something you probably can solve or at least know how to handle it. We placed a couple bards with the same track in a range of 500. In older version thats no problem, the music played flewently. But now, when i use bard as background music, it suddendly stops after i go 88 blocks away from bard and starts again over and over..
its a bit annoying to play with music that never plays to the end.

would be great if you knew whats the problem here!
have a nice day!

Serda Does Games

Jan 24, 2014, 8:25:45 PM1/24/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
How do you use the mailbox's?

Eric

Jan 25, 2014, 2:01:40 AM1/25/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Just place one, and click on it. Students cannot click on them yet, as Edu thinks it's "building" and doesn't allow it if building is turned off. But if they are holding a bow in their hand, they can use the mailbox.

To send mail, you need to create a new NPC and give him/her the Role "Mailman". You can add dialogue/explanations too. Students can talk to the mailman and send a letter to any username that is recognized in the records of Custom NPCs as having played on the server before. You can also create quests and NPC dialogue that automatically sends mails to students, too.

And, Noppes said that soon you will be able to attach items to letters - in the next Custom NPCs update or so.

MisterA

Jan 25, 2014, 1:22:14 PM1/25/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Toni and I tested this the other day on a flat newly created world.
MinecraftEdu 1.6.4 build 7 and 8

Placed both type of mailbooxes, just to be sure.
Placed an NPC with the mailman role.

Right clicked on the two mailboxes (As someone posted that might be something you had to do before you were recognized by the system)

Right click on the mailman, get the mail interface and tried the following:

Both of us were logged in as teachers:

Sent mail to Toni - result unknown username (Edu Alias)
Sent mail to player6324 - result unknown username (Actual name)
Sent mail to MisterA - result unknown username (Edu Alias)
Sent mail to Hikari_Kishi - result unknown username (Mojang name)

Tried with the custom download from Eric, and the newest download from Noppes.

So still not sure what is happening or why, but seems to not quite be working yet.

Eric

Jan 25, 2014, 3:41:49 PM1/25/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Will build 8 support the students using a mailbox without having to hold a bow in their hands?

And I've successfully sent mails to myself, and had quests and dialogues send mails to me, but I guess I've never tested sending a mail to another connected player, yet.

MisterA

Jan 25, 2014, 4:45:37 PM1/25/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric,

You are one ahead of me then, I cannot even get it to work sending myself emails.

The issue with interacting with mailboxes in a "Student Build Disallowed" world is something bigger than just the block itself. From what I can gather in the discussions, the list of blocks that students can interact with when building is disallowed is not something easy to address. It has something to do with a hard coded list of items...and making it so that EVERY mod that comes out with an item that requires student interaction would require much more work.

It seems that the issue has something to do with angles when tryin to interact. I have had this same issue using Mystcraft books. The students can only interact with them 100% of the time if build is allowed. When it is off, there is a hit and miss chance, due to the fact I have a build allow block under them. But given a flat surface, with a single object...if you move around you can get it to interact but it is not easy...like trying to find that small strike zone or something.

Mike's "fix" with holding a bow is probably the best for now. I do wonder if it has to be a bow, or if it could be anything. If so, what if you gave them an envelope to hold while interacting with the mailbox...seems that would fit the concept of mailing someone more than holding a bow.

But yeah if you can give any other helpful information about how you guys got the mail to work, i would appreciate it.

Michael Harvey

Jan 26, 2014, 10:27:18 AM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The issue that requires the box is definitely bigger than mailboxes alone or even any particular mod.  I honestly have no idea what it is about the bow that makes it work. Maybe there is a setting that would allow us to use other objects in the same way. Giving credit where it's due, the idea to use the bow came from Craig Merrick early last year, not me. He was using it in instances where students couldn't access chests, furnaces and boats due to build disallow blocks.

Rooney Man

Jan 26, 2014, 2:33:25 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
How in the world do I upload custom skin packs from the site?

Eric

Jan 26, 2014, 2:47:45 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if there were some kind of feature that would allow teachers to give students full access to certain types of blocks. Like the teacher looks at the mailbox, presses a special key, and now that block is allowed to be used by all students. You would think it would be possible, if it could just add the block ID or item ID to the allowed blocks/items list... if that list exists...

Rooney Man

Jan 26, 2014, 2:51:25 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Can anybody PLEASE tell me how to upload skin packs to the mod?!?!?!?!

Matt Coia

Jan 26, 2014, 2:56:03 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
A quick google search got me this...

Looks like the instructions are there as far as what folders to put them in.

Just for future reference, 18 minutes probably isn't enough time to give people to respond, especially on a Sunday.

Matt

On Sunday, January 26, 2014, Rooney Man <rooney.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anybody PLEASE tell me how to upload skin packs to the mod?!?!?!?!

MisterA

Jan 26, 2014, 3:12:42 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@Rooney Man
Also if you look through his specific thread, you can find out many things about where to put the custom skins when just adding them, putting them into a resource pack, and even how they work when using MinecraftEdu.

Have a read through the entire thread, and I am positive you will find your answers.

Also you might want to check out the Getting Started thread...it has plenty of good information for someone just learning to work with MinecraftEdu and even some information for people that consider themselves experts.

@Eric Agreed, but like I said, it isn't going to be an easy fix.

Rooney Man

Jan 26, 2014, 3:18:40 PM1/26/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@ MisterA I would watch the tutorial video but it says it is outdated and all I want is to install the superheros pack from the site.

Noppes

Jan 27, 2014, 5:22:52 AM1/27/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@Rooney Man
Honestly I dont remember. At some point it was broken in 1.6.4 Im not sure if I fixed it. In 1.7 its possible to load multiple resource packs by default in minecraft.

Anyway try putting the zip in .minecraft/customnpcs/packs folder. Or just extract the folder to your .minecraft/cusomnpcs/assets folder.

Also you arent a teacher are you? For future reference please post your question on the customnpcs thread at the minecraftforums. There are plenty of people there who can help you and much faster then me as well.

Eric

Feb 1, 2014, 9:17:41 AM2/1/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Noppes I've found a pretty major problem, and I'm afraid fixing it might be tough.

I've actually seen this problem for a while now, but it seems to be getting a bit more frequent lately. It's this: NPCs that are set two wandering (either looping or backtracking) can sometimes have a clone when I start the server, or, much worse, can be deleted entirely. I think this must have to do with how Minecraft saves the entity data of where the NPC is in its walking path, and not at the origin point. Somehow during world saving and reloading, the wandering NPC is being created again (the clone), or the entity wasn't saved at all (disappearing). This is not easily replicated, as it doesn't happen all the time. I don't know if saving the world with an NPC wandering in the loaded chunks but the original spawn point of the NPC is outside the loaded chunks -- if that is the cause, or something else completely. But it's a pretty bad bug when you realize an NPC you made a long time ago no longer exists (or you may not even notice, in a large world with 100s of NPCs like mine).

Luckily I've been able to load up backups of my world, find the wandering NPC, use the clone tool, then copy the cloned_npcs.dat file to my new Edu folder and spawn the NPC into the world that way (but only when I happen to notice a wandering NPC has disappeared). But there's a second, much more minor bug that reminds me of: when you clone a trader, it doesn't clone his traded items with him.

Let me know if you understand the bug as I'm describing it (it's a bit hard to describe perfectly), and if there's anything that could be done about it.

Noppes

Feb 3, 2014, 6:23:21 AM2/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
The first thing sounds very much like a minecraft bug and not something I can fix.

Traders not being cloned properly is defenitely something I can fix

Eric

Feb 3, 2014, 8:29:09 AM2/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Please post a link to the fixed 164 version if possible. I know you're hard at work on 1.7, but I think Edu is still months away from a 1.7 version.

MisterA

Feb 3, 2014, 1:14:14 PM2/3/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey Noppes,

 Not sure if this is an isolated incident, but I can reproduce the issue.

When you create an item giver, and you want to give them an item, you drag and drop it into the boxes for their inventory.

When I try to do this with a stack of say steak here is what happens...

If the stack is in my inventory, it works just fine. If the stack is in my action bar it will drop items on the ground. Sometimes it will work if I click a few times, but by then part of the stack is on the ground. The left click and pickup seems to be acting as a drop single item instead. It's not game breaking, since I just have to make sure that I drag items from my inventory and not on the action bar, but it would be nice if it didn't do this.

Lisa Douthit

Feb 4, 2014, 9:51:34 PM2/4/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
I have been a little under the weather, but wanted to chime in on this one.  The problem Shane describes is exactly one of the problems I had with problem giving. Good to know this wasn't just me, as I could not figure out why.

Noppes

Feb 5, 2014, 3:04:49 AM2/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Only with ItemGivers? Thats an interesting problem. Ill do some investigating

Eric

Feb 5, 2014, 5:42:35 AM2/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Not only with item givers. It happens for traders too. Not sure about placing items for quest rewards and requirements.

It should be common enough to repeat pretty easily. Just make some traders, and try to click on items in your item bar to place them inside the trader boxes as you're creating the trader's inventory, and many times it will just spit your item out in front of you.

Noppes

Feb 5, 2014, 1:52:20 PM2/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@Eric
When I clone traders they seem totally fine with all their items in there

Eric

Feb 5, 2014, 2:51:16 PM2/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Very strange... they don't have any items for me. I save them to either tab 1 or tab 2. Hmmm.

Rick Henderson

Feb 5, 2014, 10:19:14 PM2/5/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
This is quite interesting. I was very surprised to see NPCs in Michael's programming world, and just finding out about this mod now is pretty cool. It might give me what I was thinking about in the way of programming the AI for NPCs, so I'll definitely try to install it and give it a go.
Glad to see a mod developer interested in the EDU work.

-Rick

Noppes

Feb 6, 2014, 3:41:15 AM2/6/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
@Rick
You can thank Eric for that. He always gives a lot of constructive feedback which is quite useful.

In other news I got a somewhat working 1.7 version. It looks like no npcs or items will be lost.
So far only moving paths are lost. I cant get them back.

Eric

Feb 6, 2014, 8:19:10 AM2/6/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
That is EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

I love Custom Npcs Mod

Feb 7, 2014, 4:05:38 PM2/7/14

On Monday, November 25, 2013 4:23:57 AM UTC-4, Noppes wrote:
Hi I should probably start with introducing myself. Im Noppes the creator of Custom NPCs mod.

I recently stumbled upon this group and figured Id make a support thread here, because I saw some older posts where people were having problems with the mod.

If you have any questions or suggestions to make the mod better, post them here.

ps. I love what you guys are doing

Hey Noppes. I have a question. Why Can't i kill my npc? Help!

Noppes

Feb 7, 2014, 5:16:31 PM2/7/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
What faction are they in and how did you set up that faction?

Noppes

Feb 8, 2014, 9:01:27 AM2/8/14
to minecraft...@googlegroups.com
Just released an update for the 1.6.4 version. It should fix the quest log and item giver bugs.

You need to update to this version as well if you don't want to loose items/blocks in 1.7.

Before updating to 1.7 you need to have opened your worlds atleast once with this version
It is loading more messages.
This conversation is locked