Minecraft: Seasons (Java, PC)

Phil Rodrigues

Sep 29, 2019, 6:40:13 AM9/29/19
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com
I have a modded Minecraft server running in beta for 2 weeks. I plan to wipe it then launch aprox 10 Oct. Check it out if you are curious. This is Minecraft Java version, for PC only. (Thanks to Eric and Mike for reminding me about Minecraft, sorry I can't play without mods...)

Minecraft Seasons is a server and collection of mods focused on increasing the feeling of adventure in the world. Here are the top ten things you should know about it:

Summary

1) Seasons change, which changes the temperature, harvest and foliage. Standing outside at noon in the summer in the desert is dangerous, as is midnight in winter in the mountains. Seasons are 15 in-game days long (5 real hours), and if you play at the same time every day then you will experience different seasons. Details here: https://github.com/Glitchfiend/SereneSeasons/wiki/

2) You need food, water and shelter to survive. Lack of food or water will eventually kill you, as will exposure to extreme temperatures. You can see your body temperature, and compensate for the temperature by crafting and wearing things like wool armor for warmth and slime armor for cooling. Build campfires to warm up or swim to cool off. Details here: https://github.com/Glitchfiend/ToughAsNails/wiki/

3) Crops are plentiful and there are many more foods to create. Each biome has a unique garden type that spawns naturally, which produces raw fruit, vegetables or spices when harvested. Fruit from trees can be picked. These can be turned into seeds and grown on farms. Raw ingredients can be combined alongside the meat from animals to make elaborate meals. The more different prepared foods you eat, the more permanent hearts you gain. Details here: https://harvestcraftmod.fandom.com/wiki/HarvestCraft_Wiki/

4) There are different mob types, such as Foliaath the plant monster or Frostmaw the snow giant. Normal mobs spawn rarely as enhanced versions, such as a “Ghastly Zombie of Lifestealing”. There is a small chance a blood moon will rise, which causes mobs to spawn more densely.

5) There are more dungeon types. “Roguelike” dungeons are towers that descend many levels deep, filled with unique rooms, monsters and treasure. “Doomlike” dungeons are found underground, with wide layouts that span multiple rooms filled with monsters.

6) There are additional dimensions separate from the hell-like Nether and space-like End. Use dirt, flowers, water and a diamond to create a portal to a magical dark forest, filled with quests and unique monsters. Use glowstone and water to create a portal to a dimension in the air, filled with fluffy clouds, flying creatures and unique dungeons. Details here https://aether.gamepedia.com/The_Aether_I and here http://benimatic.com/tfwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

7) Normal villages have bounty boards where you can accept tasks (like kill 6 skeletons or harvest 20 wheat) and complete them for rewards. There are also multiple themed villages of different cultures filled with unique named villagers that work and play. Complete tasks for them to gain faction in order to trade with and lead them. Beware the bandits that harass the villages, and don’t assume all villages are friendly! Details here https://millenaire.org/wiki/Millénaire_Wiki

8) You can use XP to specialize into combat, crafting or harvesting and train dozens of unique skills. Details here https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/level-up

9) Tools and equipment may gain randomly qualities, such as a “Vicious Sword” or a “Dented Helmet”. Re-forge them to change their qualities. If you get a unique quality item then keep it repaired so it doesn’t break.

10) When you die you drop a gravestone. Use your death note to be led back to your grave. Sneak over your grave (shift + walk) and all of your items will be instantly re-equipped into their original slots.

To connect:

Install Java version of Minecraft: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/
(As always, install latest Java, remove old versions of Java, etc)

Install this version of Minecraft Forge: https://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/net/minecraftforge/forge/index_1.12.2.html

Unzip these files into your .minecraft folder (usually C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming.minecraft). Overwrite, so the files in the mod folder in the zip go into the mod folder in your .minecraft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6ki6ekbqzurca8/minecraft-seasons-v01.zip?dl=1
(Its got the texture packs I prefer, enable them via options.)

Connect to the server: 76.164.235.238:25575
(Its on US west coast)

Ping me if any Qs. I am enjoying this mix of mods. :-)

Fleetwood Discord channel:

Mike Linnetz

Sep 29, 2019, 3:12:33 PM9/29/19
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Sounds interesting.   I think I'm in.

As long as we're playing modded, what do you think about adding Vein Miner to the list?

 It takes some of the tedium out of excavation

Mike

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 15, 2019, 4:52:18 PM10/15/19
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, perilous-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. Thanks to the 8 players that joined the beta. We launch the final world on Wed 16 Oct (tomorrow). It will run for a few months until at least after January.

The server focuses on adding more survival elements (temperature, seasons, growth cycles, hunger, thirst, etc) and essentially doubling everything in base Minecraft with more weapons, tools, crops, foods, mobs, villages, cultures and dimensions.

The best source of info for the sever, including a top tips to help you understand the new items, is our Fleetwood Discord server. Connection info below, or reply to me privately.

Extra thanks to Karl and Mike L for their many hours of testing and detailed feedback which has improved the overall feel of the server.

Come and join us if you are curious!

Eric Jansson

Oct 15, 2019, 8:13:40 PM10/15/19
to fleetwo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, perilous-...@googlegroups.com
I'll probably check it out, but most of my Minecraft time is spent with Arya teaming up to loot nether fortresses and explore.

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 16, 2019, 7:49:34 PM10/16/19
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, perilous-...@googlegroups.com
Last message on this topic for a while. :-)

The final server and world is launched. The most up to date details are always on the Fleetwood Discord: https://discord.gg/25TEPym

= Here are the instructions for joining:

Unzip these files into your .minecraft folder (usually C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming.minecraft). Overwrite, so the files in the mod folder in the zip go into the mod folder in your .minecraft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbd3yl6d6sl4ffq/minecraft-seasons-v03.zip?dl=1

(Its got the texture packs I prefer, enable them via options.)

Connect to the server: 76.164.235.238:25575
(Its on US west coast)

= Here are the top tips:

1) Water. Lack of water will kill you. Drink by standing in water, shift-crouching, then right-clicking with an empty hand. You can also make canteens, water purifiers, etc. Drinking raw water gives a mild, temp debuff.

2) Food. Lack of food will kill you. All animals drop raw meat, cook it first. There is a unique garden plant per biome that spawns random vegetables. Turn vegetables into seeds on a bench, then plant seeds. Combine ingredients to make many meals (check recipe list in workbench). Sprinting, jumping, digging and fighting all causes hunger. Walk and use stairs to conserve hunger.

3) Temperature. Extreme heat and cold will kill you. Seasons, time of day and biomes impact the temperature: nighttime in winter in mountains is coldest, daytime in summer in deserts is hottest. You will get hot or cold debuff before you die - react quickly! Wear wool armor or go underground or stand near furnace or lava to warm up. Wear slime armor or go underground or stand in water to cool off. The circle in center of your bar shows your body temp (not the air temp).

4) Seasons. There are 4 seasons that each have 3 phases (Early Summer, Mid Summer, etc). Each phase lasts 5 in-game days (100 real mins), so each season lasts 15 in-game days (300 mins, 5 real hours). A full year is 5 real hours * 4 seasons = 20 real hours long.  Seasons impact the temperature, weather, foliage and crop growth.

5) Mobs. The new mob types are dangerous - avoid them until you are ready. Standard mobs have a small chance to spawn with multiple special powers. They have magic bubbles around them and you will see their special names when you look at them. Also avoid them until you are ready.

6) Hearts. You start with 8 hearts. You can gain more permanent hearts by eating new, unique prepared foods. Raw ingredients do not count (the tooltip displays this). You get a new permanent heart for every 10 new, unique prepared foods you eat, up to a max of 14 hearts.