Map Thread

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 3, 2014, 5:11:26 PM1/3/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I will reply to this thread when the map is updated. It is a manual process that takes me about 10 minutes or so to download the world files and upload them to the map server.

Map date 04 Jan 2013

matt plourde

Jan 3, 2014, 5:15:06 PM1/3/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
so cool...

since my kids are sick, I'm MUCH more likely to be on tomorrow...

Matthew C. Plourde

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 5:56:57 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
OK, exciting map today. Can anyone tell me what this map means? I will give you a hint: I wandered around as a Villager and found Sunflowers, Blue Orchids and a Witch in a cave.

Its running locally on my computer and all of the plugins are working. :-)

matt plourde

Jan 6, 2014, 6:33:35 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
sounds like Dwarf Fortress to me :)

and looks like you found an NPC town.

Eric Jansson

Jan 6, 2014, 6:44:08 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Heh I wouldn't go near that town at night or they will get wiped out.

Man securing an NPC town in this will be a challenge.

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 6:46:25 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Matt is partially correct, but not specific enough. I will wait for more guesses after more people wake up. :-)

Brian Stumm

Jan 6, 2014, 7:03:36 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I'll guess, the map is from an new update/version and it stable?

Now if the village is called the Shire......then you found Middle Earth. ;)

Nathan Hand

Jan 6, 2014, 7:36:59 AM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Man that looks so much cooler and more natural than the world we're in currently

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 12:37:45 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I have a working copy of 1.7.2 running at home with all plugins and configs. It seems to work fine, and it is also more fun. Bukkit (the master plugin system) is still beta, ideally the final will be out in a few weeks. In either case I am confident we can launch the release world on ... Fri Jan 17?

matt plourde

Jan 6, 2014, 12:41:02 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
woot!

if you need my help with anything, ask! :)

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 12:43:20 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
You are a Woodsman. Go tame a cat or wolf, and farm nether wart, and tell me if it works right.

Nathan Hand

Jan 6, 2014, 12:46:56 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Looks like we should be able to summon a pet by holding 10 bones or fish and hitting shift-rmb.  I'll test it out, and if I can find a wild wolf tame it, since I don't know if I can fish or not.

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 12:50:52 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, not sure that works in 1.6.4. Me or one of the villagers can put raw fish in the farmhouse. I can in ... 6 hours?

Michael (J.)

Jan 6, 2014, 1:00:33 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I placed 10 fish in one of the chests before I went to bed. ...the chest that has a note to take freely from it...not sure what the building is called but it has the dirt stair (with the sign requesting its removal at night to protect from creepers).

-Michael (J.)

Subject: Re: [Minecraft] Map Thread
To: "minecra...@googlegroups.com" <minecra...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Monday, January 6, 2014, 12:50 PM
 Matthew C. Plourdehttp://matthewcplourde.wordpress.com/

matt plourde

Jan 6, 2014, 1:44:17 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Tamed a Horse and got 2 "Taming" levels (took me about 10 tries to tame)... I could mount the horse but couldn't control it without a saddle.

looked for a wolf until the sun went down, but never found one.

made a nice creeper hole in town :)

Eric Jansson

Jan 6, 2014, 2:08:25 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
My quest to escape the depths was a success. After Brian was blown to smithereens ran over him picked up a lot his stuff and bricked myself into a corner.  At first I thought I would starve but it turns out Brian had a lot of baked potatoes.  Of course I used stone to brick myself in, so I was trapped for a time until a nice creeper came and let me out.

I fought my way up from the depths, very different than just tunneling up.  The wave after wave of zombies destroyed the steel pieces of my armor, which I replaced with some of Brian's and their drops.  Right as I started to hear animals and see vines I see the mossy cobblestones of a monster spawner room.  Luckily zombies so they could pound through the stone to let me in :-)

Within the spawner room I also found saddles and Iron Horse Armor!  Now I just have to wait for daylight to mark this location and make a path back to town.

matt plourde

Jan 6, 2014, 4:32:49 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I was also able to take 10 raw fish and summon a tamed cat in town. Wonder how long they stay...

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 6, 2014, 6:23:10 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Eric your report is very helpful, thanks, and also a good example of the kind of gameplay I am going for. A few quick comments:

One basic rule of logic is you should not be able to drop anything you can not break, for the exact reason of not trapping yourself. I assume Brian had "Cobblestone" in his inventory (the result of breaking "Stone"), which you picked up and could place. Note that you can break Cobblestone with anything including your fists, your sword or a wooden pickaxe.

There is a chance he had smelted "Stone" in his inventory, which you could not have placed. There is also a chance he had "Stone Brick" (which takes crafting), which you could not craft but you could place or break.

Be aware that repair is in default Minecraft and allows you to fix that armor using another piece of damaged armor and a crafting table:

Also, Miners get a bonus to the Repair skill and access to Anvils, which allow them to repair Enchanted items:

As an Explorer you should be able to harvest the Monster Spawner, which I think requires your Wooden Pickaxe. I think your fists or sword will break it but not harvest it.

Eric Jansson

Jan 6, 2014, 10:14:47 PM1/6/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I can work with cobblestone

Mike Linnetz

Jan 7, 2014, 9:20:30 AM1/7/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Found a nether fortress.  Killed a blaze using some hide and seek tactics.

Left some netherwart and two blaze rods in the house.

Netherwart will grow on soul sand if you want to set up a garden.
if you wait until it's fully grown, usually it'll yield 2 or 3 when it's fully ripe.

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 7, 2014, 3:06:33 PM1/7/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Woodsman are the only ones who can harvest, plant, etc Netherwart.

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 8, 2014, 4:42:57 AM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
This is the final map of our current 1.6 Beta world:

You can see Joel's new tower, Brian and my flat wall lined with nether brick, and if you switch to night mode you can see Brian's lit path back to the Abandoned Mineshaft.

I will post a map of the new 1.7 Beta world on Friday. The map has been generated and I am spot-checking it now. Note this 1.7 Betas world will last a week before it is wiped and 1.7 Final is put on the server.

Phil

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 8, 2014, 4:48:38 AM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed two things to check out on the current Beta 1.6 world, both within a day's walk of our town.

final-beta-map-structures.png

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 10:07:58 AM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I played some more last night.  I was able to do a bit more work on my tower and dig a bit under it.  I don't mind the current level of monsters, but I find that they don't go away very easily during the day, which makes mining tough...

I think in the live server I will have to make some trenches to protect myself, but there doesn't seem like a point right now.  Also I noticed that there was some mine shafts already below me so I can't really start my strip mining process.

What is the plan for the live server?  Are we going to make a fortress with a plan or are we going to just build what we want where we want?

Joel Kurlan
J Whitney Frame
15 North Washington St.
Plainville, CT 06062

Mike Linnetz

Jan 8, 2014, 1:15:22 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Joel brings up a good question.

Although Phil has set the end goal as "kill the ender dragon", there is always a certain element of community building in a shared MC server (and I don't mean that in the abstract sense of "community", rather in the game-physical sense of BUILDING a communal village).

If we plan on building a town, there should at least be a certain minimal level of ascetic guidance, so we don't end up with someone creating a gorgeous well-designed structure sitting next to someone's big dirt pile in the middle of the town.

Could we maybe rely on our Villlagers as the office of planning/zoning?
I'm not recommending that anyone has dictatorial right to tell someone else NO YOU CANT BUILD THAT, but rather just someone be in charge of a general layout of the town.  And I would hope that there'll be a general respect for each other's shit, so we're not stepping on each other's toes.

Also, I would think anyone is always more than welcome to set up their own structures outside of town.  (In fact, I plan on doing some experimentation with a mob spawner far outside of town).

As far as underground mining, I'd say we're pretty safe mining willy nilly underground (as long as it doesnt endanger anyone or interfere with someone else's stuff).  I usually either find a cave system and torch the whole thing off, or just dig down to diamond level and just tunnel to my heart's content.

Mike

Mike Linnetz

Jan 8, 2014, 1:21:52 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiousity, why would mine shafts directly below you prevent you from doing your own strip mining?

Brian Stumm

Jan 8, 2014, 1:22:13 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
For us newbies, can you guys recommend a wiki or key info - like what is diamond level?

I know i could Google it, but i'd rather cut to a web site that is useful, some of the ones i found have been useless....

Don't assume i know anything...I've played for a total of 10 hrs....  :P

Thanks, looking forward to getting up to speed....

Doc

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 1:26:57 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I agree with mike.

Does the group want a certain feel for a town?  Do we want to have a planned defense permitter like a moat with lava or automatic arrow shooters.

I there is a plan for a town then we can always take out crazy ideas outside. I know I would like to build a tower of some sort, but would be quite happy to also build walls, moat and a defense system for the town.

But creative ideas should be allowed outside of any planned zone. Much like any town, a planning a zoning committee might just work.

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 1:28:28 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I just didn't want to open up anything that someone was building. Creative rights protection and all.

My last strip mine was pretty large and very deep.

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 1:30:44 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I don't know the exact address but if you google minecraft wiki you'll find it pretty darn quick. It has all the formulas for creating stuff and all the info on which blocks are where and what you can do with them.

Brian Stumm

Jan 8, 2014, 1:33:25 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I think it makes sense...the food production, main storage, enchanting, protection.....

Balanced with crazy, creative stuff.....

Brian Stumm

Jan 8, 2014, 1:35:54 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
cool thanks....

Nathan Hand

Jan 8, 2014, 1:37:20 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Diamond level is the minimum depth underground you have to be before diamonds start appearing.  Diamonds are the games end-level material, as weapons, armor, and tools made from it are the best possible.  Material tiers are roughly: wood-stone-iron-gold-diamond

I think a basic rule like buildings need to be realistic, like not floating in mid air or looking like they couldn't support themselves is a good compromise between a communal area we share and our creativity.  Outside of town anything goes, of course.

Brian Stumm

Jan 8, 2014, 1:39:03 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Is there a typical depth that occurs at?

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 1:40:24 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I'm gonna build my floating tower over your house. Then drop TNT right down the center shaft... You get the picture.

:-(

rozyn...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2014, 1:45:14 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Looks like I will be involved even less than I thought I would.  I have about 300 pages of deliverable to hand in by March 17.

The flip is that is actually the perfect day to give up and get blackout drunk.

Nathan Hand

Jan 8, 2014, 1:46:13 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

I've always daydreamed about logging in one night when no one is on, and wiring the entire town with hidden TNT linked to pressure plates and tripwires.  I don't think woodsmen get to play with that stuff, though...

Eric Jansson

Jan 8, 2014, 2:18:42 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Yes in the massive world that we have I think it's ok if some folks want to plan the town.  If someone wants to build a giant burning eye just do it a little ways off.

Joel Kurlan

Jan 8, 2014, 2:21:07 PM1/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
That was my plan. Mordor.

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 16, 2014, 10:24:45 PM1/16/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Here is the last map from the final beta world:

I will keep that map intact, and use a different link for the real world (if I share maps, which I may not because then the world file can be downloaded).

Joel Kurlan

Jan 16, 2014, 10:32:04 PM1/16/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Some douche defaced the wilderness by tagging his name on the landscape.

Joel Kurlan
J Whitney Frame
15 North Washington St.
Plainville, CT 06062

Nathan Hand

Jan 16, 2014, 11:56:21 PM1/16/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

What's up with that huge hole in the ground in the desert?

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 17, 2014, 12:00:18 AM1/17/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Nate, that is someone walking around on either side but not completely through the middle. The server never loaded that chunk because it wasn't ever in view range

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 19, 2014, 5:46:37 AM1/19/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Here are the first looks at the new world. I will automate these and put them somewhere convenient, sorry for the attachment I wanted to get them out before I logged for the night.

map-wide-140119.png
map-zoom-140119.png

Mike Linnetz

Jan 19, 2014, 9:10:48 AM1/19/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm planning on building a stone building in the middle of that swamp to the south/west of spawn (needs an area where no monsters will spawn).
That far enough outside of town?

Mike

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 5:46 AM, Phil Rodrigues <phil.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are the first looks at the new world. I will automate these and put them somewhere convenient, sorry for the attachment I wanted to get them out before I logged for the night.

Scott Carpinteri

Jan 20, 2014, 10:27:17 AM1/20/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
This is soooo helpful.  Thanks Phil.

[Sent from my iPad — thank you Steve.]

On Jan 19, 2014, at 2:46 AM, Phil Rodrigues <phil.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are the first looks at the new world. I will automate these and put them somewhere convenient, sorry for the attachment I wanted to get them out before I logged for the night.

<map-wide-140119.png>
<map-zoom-140119.png>

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 27, 2014, 1:36:51 AM1/27/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Andy Hooper

Jan 28, 2014, 12:57:21 PM1/28/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Is accessing the map a server function?  No way for everyone to do it?

Phil Rodrigues

Jan 28, 2014, 2:34:02 PM1/28/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean the overhead world map I shared? The site I use to generate them always also allows for the world file to be downloaded, which I don't like, which is why I take pictures of the map and only share the pictures.

Andy Hooper

Jan 28, 2014, 2:40:01 PM1/28/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  The overhead map.  Sorry, work is melting my brain today.
Understood.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Phil Rodrigues <phil.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you mean the overhead world map I shared? The site I use to generate them always also allows for the world file to be downloaded, which I don't like, which is why I take pictures of the map and only share the pictures.

Phil Rodrigues

Feb 1, 2014, 5:23:00 AM2/1/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Mike

Feb 1, 2014, 9:03:03 AM2/1/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Confirms to me that all I have seen is Savanna, Desert, Savanna, Desert.

Andy Hooper

Feb 1, 2014, 9:31:04 AM2/1/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
That is most of what I saw when I went out.  Lots and lots of desert.
The Mesa area in the south east corner of the map is kind of cool...

2014-01-27_21.39.56.png

Eric Jansson

Feb 1, 2014, 9:38:57 AM2/1/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
That is cool, I was going to ask what that was.  I love the map...I guess that's why I'm an explorer.  Sad that real world has been cutting into MC time.

Scott Carpinteri

Feb 1, 2014, 4:56:48 PM2/1/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Very cool.  Thanks for 3 zoom levels. Was going to ask about red stuff too.

[Sent from my iPad — thank you Steve.]

Phil Rodrigues

Feb 2, 2014, 4:06:29 AM2/2/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering where the Jungle and Taiga were (I trust the world generator, but there seemed to be some doubts!) so I dumped a full map of the region based on the server's seed. We have already uncovered 80% of it so there didn't seem much harm in sharing it.

It needs the key to make any sense:

Yes, there is definitely a lot of savanna, desert, swamp and normal forests in the local region. :-)

Phil Rodrigues

Feb 8, 2014, 5:12:09 PM2/8/14
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Phil Rodrigues