Dominions 5: Running for 8 years, about to start again

1 view

Phil Rodrigues

Nov 27, 2017, 2:07:05 PM11/27/17
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, wurm-fl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Hooper
Hello friends,

Matt Plourde and I started playing the turn-based fantasy strategy game "Dominions" in 2010, 8 years ago. By the end of that year we had recruited more friends and it has slowly grown since then.  We can still remember those first games!

Its 8 years later, and "Dominions 5" just came out. We are going to start a new game with random nations and a random map soon. We have 10 people already signed up.

This is a great time to join us, either again or for the first time!

Random nations and a random map means this is a learning game. Its not too serious. Its a great time for someone old to re-learn the game, or for someone new to pick it up. The time commitment is about 10-15 mins once every 1-2 days. You think about it more than you actually play it. :-)

Let me know if you are interested. Or just buy the game!

Phil

Phil Rodrigues

Nov 27, 2017, 3:14:51 PM11/27/17
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fl...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, wurm-fl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Hooper
It’s very slightly more polished. So maybe less complex. It’s just as deep as ever, maybe a little more so.

If you thought Dom 3 was too deep or complex, then 5 is no different. Maybe 10% less complex, 20% deeper.

If you were concerned they changed the formula and removed the depth, don’t worry, it’s still the definitive fantasy nation building arcane spell research and magic creature battle simulator around. :-)

On 27 Nov 2017, at 11:54 am, Raymond Nagle <raymon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

How deep/complex is it to Dominions 3?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2017, at 2:36 PM, Jesse Stanley <jstan...@gmail.com> wrote:

I may join this time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2017, at 14:21, Jake Belknap <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think i'm interested to try. Keep me informed. I'm traveling a lot December though so if you are starting when i'm not available, I'll catch the next round.

~J

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Jason Miceli <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sold. Ill gladly give it a go again. Can Eric be on the opposite side of the map as me?

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the brevity and any grammatical errors.

Mike Linnetz

Nov 27, 2017, 6:29:11 PM11/27/17
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Is this like a guild-cooperative type thing?
Or is it more competitive, PvP?

Phil Rodrigues

Nov 27, 2017, 11:52:02 PM11/27/17
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
This particular game is each player competes with all other players. You tend to form (and break) alliances over time. We also play team games, versus other teams.

However saying “PvP” feels like an online or real-time game. This is turn based, like a board game or Civilizations. It’s cerebral. (That’s my big word for the day.)

Nathan Hand

Nov 28, 2017, 6:59:24 AM11/28/17
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, this group is fundamentally incapable of meaningful cooperation when playing dominions, outside of assigned teams, of course

N A

Nov 28, 2017, 7:38:32 AM11/28/17
to Nathan Hand, minecra...@googlegroups.com
Is your Christmas humbug coming out early? Take it to the battlefield oh master among master tactician 😜

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to minecraft-fwo...@googlegroups.com.

Phil Rodrigues

Nov 30, 2017, 12:16:21 PM11/30/17
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, wurm-fl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Hooper
Hi all,

We will be accepting new players until the end of today, Thu 30 Nov. We start randomly assigning nations tomorrow, Fri 01 Dec. Email me ASAP if you want to join us. If you said "maybe", then you are not on the list yet.

So far we have 11 players. I expect the game to run for 3-4 months.

Phil

Phil Rodrigues

Feb 16, 2018, 4:15:54 PM2/16/18
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, wurm-fl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Hooper
Hi all,

Our last game finished. It ran from Dec to Feb. The nation of Bandar Log, wild monkeys who worshipped a giant snake, won the game by controlling the most amount of holy thrones. 11 of us played, submitting a turn every day (or so) for two months.

We are starting the next game soon. This time we turn the clock back to the “Early Ages” where magic was stronger. The world will be larger and it will take a few months to conquer (or conspire with) other nations to take control.

If people want to join us then please reply by the end of Monday Feb 19. That is when nation assignment ends for the next game, which starts in early March.

Phil