Fleetwood MMO: Wurm Unlimited

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 10:38:57 AM10/30/15
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, eso-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com
I am offering Fleetwood and friends our own MMO RPG running on a private world that can handle dozens of players. It's a self-contained version of Wurm Unlimited, just released for stand-alone servers, based on the game that has been refined over the last decade. The game is a complete sandbox world, skill based, focused on crafting and exploration and survival, with turn based combat (no player skill involved) - it's very immersive.

To join us buy Wurm Unlimited ($30), no fees after that:

Then make a character name and join the server (hosted in LA):

Internet -> "fleetwood2" (add to Favorites)
Password = Fl33tw00d (threes and zeroes)

Only one rule: try to avoid any obviously modern names.

More on the game:

Do you remember Mythus / Dangerous Journeys, the RPG that Gary Gygax created after he left TSR? We experimented with it in the early 90s. This feels like an MMO of that world - realistic, challenging, rewarding.

Another example is RuneQuest, with its d100 percentile skills and combat system that was modeled on the Society for Creative Anachronism with hit location, parrying, armor coverage, etc.

So far Matt and I have:

Teamed up to kill a large spider. I examined Matt and confirmed his foot was bitten, so he bandaged it and it soon healed.

Matt prospected until he found hints of iron along a rock face. He dug a tunnel into it and I helped him mine the vein and carry ore outside.

We lit a fire next to his shack along the lake. He shaped wood into planks, I molded clay into a bowls. He built a cart, I fired the bowls into pottery. He hauled the ore back to the shack, I cooked a spider meat and strawberry casserole.

What are we trying to do?

Our goal is simple - gear up to survive an expedition to the Altar of Three, where we can convert to a good religion. The immediate focus is on leather armor and boots, spears and shields, food and water. Maybe horses. A house and beds to sleep in, a large anvil to work on, enough wood and ore to make what we need.

matt plourde

Oct 30, 2015, 10:48:13 AM10/30/15
to civ5-fleetwood, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com
Making stuff (especially large stuff like buildings/carts/etc) takes quite the concerted effort... which is good and bad. Bad if you don't spend your free time playing games (ie: you don't have time to sink yer teeth into a heavier game), Good if you like to feel a real sense of accomplishment.

Here is a screenshot of the smallest building you can make... took me a few mornings of messing around (as you can see, it's a graphical upgrade from Minecraft):

ss5.jpg

Mike Linnetz

Oct 30, 2015, 11:39:48 AM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Hey all.  Good to hear from you Phil.
This sounds like something i may be interested in.
Will need to clear my schedule with my wife to make sure I won't be sleeping on the couch if suddenly all my free time disappears.

Nathan Hand

Oct 30, 2015, 12:08:45 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

How graphically complex is this game?  Could a couple year old macbook with an iGPU run it?

matt plourde

Oct 30, 2015, 12:11:17 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
it's a 10 year old game, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Andy Hooper

Oct 30, 2015, 1:03:27 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Except for the part about it being Windows only...

Nathan Hand

Oct 30, 2015, 1:08:52 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Google indicates it runs on Mac and linux!

Andy Hooper

Oct 30, 2015, 2:36:15 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Steam only indicates Windows.
Just wanted to warn you before purchasing.

Mike Linnetz

Oct 30, 2015, 7:01:08 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

Are we just testing it out right now and will soon reset the world?
Or is this world final and it's game on?

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 7:47:58 PM10/30/15
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com
Answers to all:

The server is the final game world. We have not reset it, it does not need resetting. Matt and I already founded "Irontown" our starting hovel. The world is massive and needs taming.

Invite anyone else you want. Its a moderately complex game so probably not good for kids, but feel free to invite them if they want to try. Please follow the one rule: no modern names for people or places or things.

Run through the full tutorial when you start. Be careful and go slow. You might want to run through it on a tutorial character or on a local server or on another server to get a sense of the game. It takes aprox 15 mins to finish, but if you are new it might take 30 minutes.

Greg seems to have a 20% off Steam site, proceed with caution but looks legit to me:

http://www.dlgamer.us/wurm.html

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Greg Pilney <greg....@gmail.com> wrote:
Not sure of how "legit" this site is, but 20% off of wurm (I think it's the unlimited - best check before you buy).

Email sent from my iPhone.

On Oct 30, 2015, at 12:01 PM, col.f...@gmail.com wrote:

This sounds like a ton of fun... I'll chat with Bryan. Maybe we can get something going.

rozyn...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2015, 8:11:08 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com

I found the hovel and have set up base on the other side of the mine entrance (a short bit down the coast).  You should see my tent if you head that way. I'm starting to strip that section of coast of its conifers to build boats with. Started up a charcoal pile to make tar for ships and charcoal for steel- it will probably be burning for five or six real life days and might get enough tar for a rowboat, I'll probably get a second one going soon.

Very neat so far. VERY detailed crafting.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "minecraft-fwood" group.

rozyn...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2015, 8:15:50 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com

Also have been killed by a turtle and a pig. I'm not proud if that....

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 8:20:43 PM10/30/15
to fleetwo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood
Starting combat is tough. One easy way to get an advantage is to stand on high ground comparing to your target. I can handle rats and chickens. :-)

I am trying to get good at combat because we need animal hides for leather. Or maybe I should get good at taming animals and breeding them?

So many options. :-)
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "fleetwood-dom3" group.

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 8:55:22 PM10/30/15
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, eso-fleetwood, civ5-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com
The game is Windows only, per this official FAQ:

Mike Linnetz

Oct 30, 2015, 11:15:39 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.  I'm a bit confused.  The tutorial guy says i need to mine rock with a pickaxe .  However, there's no rock anywhere within reach.
I finally figured out that you can toggle "climb" mode to reach steeper hills.   However, when I try to mine the rock on the mountain it says i'm not skilled enough.

I also tried digging and digging and digging, figuring maybe i'd eventually hit rock?   No suck luck.  About 100 digs and still just dirt.

Am I missing something?

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 11:22:38 PM10/30/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, 'Michael ' via fleetwood-gaming, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com
Exit the main gate (near the sign I planted), take a right, head along starting town walls. Those hills are close and have easy rock. Activate pick and you should be able to chip any exposed rock (the dark told). Don't dig through dirt - takes too long.

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 30, 2015, 11:56:12 PM10/30/15
to fleetwo...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, eso-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com
Karl's logging camp and boat, in progress.

2015-10-31_00002.jpg

matt plourde

Oct 31, 2015, 7:07:34 AM10/31/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, eso-fleetwood
Mike L - if you want to complete that step, you much choose the option: TUNNEL on a rock face of a mountain (not: MINE).
You can only MINE once you have a tunnel started.

Enjoy! :)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Phil Rodrigues <phil.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Karl's logging camp and boat, in progress.

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 31, 2015, 8:17:07 AM10/31/15
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, meshach65 via fleetwood-dom3, minecra...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is a private server for all of our friends. The cost is very low. It does not cost you anything - after you buy the game. No griefers, PvP is turned off (and we know everyone). So far I have 8 characters after 24 hours so it seems like people are interested.

On Oct 31, 2015, at 8:08 PM, Rob Keene <rob....@gmail.com> wrote:

Phil,

I am intrigued. Just so I am clear, you are hosting our own private server? What is the cost for the server?

No griefers or other unwanted people?  Looks like fun.

Rob

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 31, 2015, 8:25:04 AM10/31/15
to fleetwo...@googlegroups.com, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com
The spam will keep up for about one week.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Rob Keene <rob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Installing...let's get that google group going so we can stop the spam.

matt plourde

Oct 31, 2015, 8:25:27 AM10/31/15
to fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com
making now - if you want in, send me a private email:

I'll try to add everyone who I know is playing and/or expressed interest.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Phil Rodrigues <phil.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

matt plourde

Oct 31, 2015, 8:26:00 AM10/31/15
to fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, minecra...@googlegroups.com
hah - Phil overruled me.

I'll still make the group for now and add peeps when we r ready.

Phil Rodrigues

Oct 31, 2015, 9:40:31 AM10/31/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, fleetwood-dom3, fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com
OK, let us know your steam name and character name and we will add you to the Wurm list.

I am milspec in Steam and Deven in Wurm.

Be sure to /addfriend people when you see them online. Use Steam to see if someone else is playing.

rozyn...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2015, 10:17:58 AM10/31/15
to minecra...@googlegroups.com

I am rozyncrantz on Steam and Hurgin in Wurm.

Phil Rodrigues

Nov 1, 2015, 12:14:55 PM11/1/15
to fleetwoo...@googlegroups.com, civ5-fleetwood, eso-fleetwood, minecra...@googlegroups.com, fleetwo...@googlegroups.com
Update for the masses: (Joel, Eric, Chris, Nate - where are you?)

Matt (Jaitha), Karl (Hurgin), Mike (Sonya) and I had a productive day.

Irontown is founded. Citizens can do everything except manage the settlement itself - they can build anywhere, drop things, take things, mine, etc. They can even invite other citizens. Karl, Mike and I are citizens - catch one of us online to be added.

There is a full fenced-in area with a few starter animals. Nothing is breeding yet but we have a pig, chicken and cow. We need to add male / females pairs to start breeding.

Mike built a large house that will have beds for resting - you get a sleep bonus to skill gain if you logoff in a bed.

Karl is the master of ships. He built a small rowboat and we found another medium sized sailboat. He has been using them to transport logs across the water from the logging camp to our settlement.

We have found a number of rare and interesting items on our journeys, They are being stored in Matt's Shack.

Rob (Ulfhedin) stopped by for a while and learned how to use the forge. He kindly made me a dozen small nails that I used for the fence.

Join us soon! Finish the tutorial then follow the signs on the long road from the starter town. After a few minutes you will come to Irontown.