Training School Staff in Mindfulness

Janah Boccio

Mar 17, 2017, 11:39:44 AM3/17/17
to Association for Mindfulness in Education
Hello!

My head of school is interested in having our school staff trained in mindfulness and I'm reaching out to this community to see how we can go about making that happen.

The school he was at prior to ours took place in a study and had weekly training sessions that were mandatory for everyone, and because they were part of a study, the cost was quite low.

Does anyone know of an organization or private practitioner who would be able to work with a staff of about 200, on a regular basis, so that we can start to implement mindfulness throughout the school day? Does anyone know someone interested in creating a study to look at the effects of mindfulness in schools? Our school is in Manhattan, in NYC.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Best,
Janah Boccio, LCSW

am...@mwithoutborders.org

Mar 24, 2017, 10:45:28 AM3/24/17
to Association for Mindfulness in Education
Hi there Janah,

My name is Amber and I just joined this group today and saw your post. I work with Mindfulness Without Borders and we specialize in training educators to teach an evidence-based mindfulness and social-emotional learning curriculum. I notice you're in Manhattan so we'd likely look at online training options, but that could certainly work. And we can look at scheduling a specialized program for your needs. Check out our website, click here, and I'm attaching more details about the research.

We also just launched an online digital kit that you might like, click here to try a few units of the ReThink Digital Kit for free :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Warmly,
Amber

Putting your mind at ease- findings fro...ncil programme in Toronto area schools.pdf

Mark Beitel

Mar 24, 2017, 10:45:28 AM3/24/17
to Association for Mindfulness in Education, teamb...@gmail.com

Hi Janah: I would be happy to think through some training options with you.  I am a licensed clinical psychologist, psychotherapy researcher, and assistant clinical professor in Psychiatry at Yale.  I have studied the psychology of Buddhism since the early 1990s and was one of the first researchers to study empirical connections between mindfulness and empathy  and self-actualization (Beitel, et al., 2005 and 2014; see attached).  I worked with a group that developed and tested a Buddhist-based psychotherapy for addiction (Beitel, et al., 2008).  More recently, I opened a school (6th through 12th grade) for internalizing children.  The Westport Day School's philosophy is grounded in mindfulness, ethics, and wisdom (e.g., the 8-fold path; please see www.westportdayschool.org). I've also done mindfulness training with public school teachers on occasion.  Looking forward to connecting....

Mark

Mark Beitel, Ph.D.

Licensed Clinical Psychologist

Co-Head of School

The Westport Day School

372 Danbury Road, Suite 190
Wilton, CT 06897

T: 203.644.0798

E: mbe...@westportdayschool.org

-----

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Beitel (2014) Mindfulness and Self-Actualization.pdf
PM and Awareness of Self and Others.pdf
Reflections (2008).pdf

Sarah Bentley

Mar 24, 2017, 10:45:49 AM3/24/17
to Association for Mindfulness in Education
I just took the Mindful Schools Educator Essentials 6 week online training. I highly recommend it!
sarah

Cheryl Brause

Mar 31, 2017, 12:36:24 AM3/31/17
to Association for Mindfulness in Education
Hi Janah.

I am a mindfulness instructor and I work as an outside provider bringing mindfulness programs and training to school districts.  I would be happy to talk to you about programs or different ways to bring mindfulness into your school.

Cheryl Brause