சிந்து சமவெளி நாகரிகம்-திராவிட மொழி தொடர்பு-சர் ஜான் மார்ஷல் ஆய்வறிக்கை

தேமொழி

Jun 27, 2024, 3:56:47 AM (3 days ago) Jun 27
to மின்தமிழ்
Mohenjo Daro and the Indus Civilization  Vol-I (1931)
by Sir John Marshall
Publication date 1931
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.722/mode/2up

The language of the inscriptions:
Of the language of these texts little more can be said at present than that there is no reason for connecting it in any way with Sanskrit. The Indus civilization was pre-Aryan, and the Indus language or languages must have been pre-Aryan also. Possibly, one or other of them (if, as seems likely, there was more than one) was Dravidic.
This, for three reasons, seems a most likely conjecture-  first, because Dravidic-speaking people were the precursors of the Aryans over most of Northern India and were the only people likely to have been in possession of a culture as advanced as the Indus culture ;
secondly, because on the other side of the Kirthar Range and at no great distance from the Indus Valley the Brahuis of Baluchistan have preserved among themselves an island of Dravidic speech which may well be a relic from pre-Aryan times, when Dravidic was perhaps the common language of these parts ;
thirdly, because the Dravidic languages being agglutinative, it is not unreasonable to look for a possible connection between them and the agglutinative language of Sumer in the Indus Valley, which, as we know, had many other close ties with Sumer. This is a conjecture, however, which there is no tangible evidence to support.
The skeletal remains, as we shall presently see, point to the presence here of elements from four different races, viz. Proto-Australoids, Mediterraneans, Alpines, and Mongolo-Alpines, but it is quite impossible to affirm whether any of these spoke Dravidic. The Eastern Alpines are hardly likely to have done so, since there is no trace of their stock among the modern Dravidic-speaking races of India. And we should naturally expect the language of the Proto-Australoids to have belonged to the Munda rather than the Dravidic group. Western Alpines are said to be strongly represented among the Kanarese-speaking peoples of the Western Dekhan and Mysore, but if racial characteristics can be taken into account in this problem of language, it is clearly the long-headed Mediterraneans who have the strongest claim to a connection by blood with the Dravidians and are most likely to have used a Dravidic speech. May it be that these same Mediterraneans-who are traceable across the whole south of the Afrasian belt-spoke agglutinative languages and that they, perhaps, more than any others, were the race at the back of this far-flung civilization of the Chalcolithic Age ?
@ https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.722/page/n79/mode/2up

தேமொழி

Jun 27, 2024, 4:09:34 AM (3 days ago) Jun 27
to மின்தமிழ்