Problem displaying text part in multipart message

whirled

Oct 8, 2007, 6:39:32 PM10/8/07
to mimemessage-dev
Hi,

I followed the example for an HTML message with inline images provided
with the class. Both the HTML and text part are included in the
message, however, when I try to view the text-only part in Thunderbird
it shows what appears to be the HTML part with the tags stripped, not
the actual text version of the message. Below is a portion of the
message source (personal info has been replaced with "X")

=== Begin Source

Sender: xxx...@xxxxx.xxx
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:24:58 -0500 (CDT)

--353d80623bd9a9dff293765bb83fb756

This message is intended to be viewed as HTML. Either your email
client
does not support HTML, or you have HTML messages disabled.

...<Message Body -- Text>...

--353d80623bd9a9dff293765bb83fb756

--2798450ce9f02fa5866e84eec43303e3

...<Message Body HTML>...

--2798450ce9f02fa5866e84eec43303e3

=== End Source

Everything is displayed properly for the HTML message, including any
inline images, however, when I view the text version it is missing the
disclaimer about it being the text version: "This message is intended
to be viewed as HTML. Either your email client does not support HTML,
or you have HTML messages disabled."

When I view the PHPClasses.org New Class notification e-mails it
properly displays the text part, which implies that it is not just a
Thunderbird "feature" to show the text part as the HTML with the tags
stripped.

I noticed that my message does not contain a header of "Content-Type:
multipart/mixed;" which is included in the sample "message.eml" file
distributed with the class. Perhaps this is the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Manuel Lemos

Oct 9, 2007, 12:29:24 AM10/9/07
to mimemes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

on 10/08/2007 07:39 PM whirled said the following:

> Everything is displayed properly for the HTML message, including any
> inline images, however, when I view the text version it is missing the
> disclaimer about it being the text version: "This message is intended
> to be viewed as HTML. Either your email client does not support HTML,
> or you have HTML messages disabled."
>
> When I view the PHPClasses.org New Class notification e-mails it
> properly displays the text part, which implies that it is not just a
> Thunderbird "feature" to show the text part as the HTML with the tags
> stripped.
>
> I noticed that my message does not contain a header of "Content-Type:
> multipart/mixed;" which is included in the sample "message.eml" file
> distributed with the class. Perhaps this is the problem?

As far as I know that is a bug of Thunderbird. If you view the message
in a folder you can switch the message body mode and it changes the view
mode. If you have opened a saved message, it does not render the message
again when you change the view mode. You may verify this with any
message that was not generated by the MIME message class.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/