Problem sending messages when mail server in different machine than web server.

r_llaurado

Sep 12, 2007, 12:08:21 PM9/12/07
to mimemessage-dev
Dear colleagues,

I had used the email_message class for almost a year now. I use it in
servers configurations where the web server is running in the same
machine where is running the mail server.

Now I need to use this component in a system installed in a web server
that is running in a different PC than the mail server and the
component is not sending any mail.

How could I fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rafael

Manuel Lemos

Sep 12, 2007, 4:40:03 PM9/12/07
to mimemes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

on 09/12/2007 01:08 PM r_llaurado said the following:

This is an often misunderstood problem.

To send messages you do not need a SMTP mail server. A SMTP mail server
is only needed to receive messages. You need an MTA, like sendmail,
qmail, etc.. Every Linux or Unix like system comes with an MTA for
deliverying messages.

You only need to relay messages for delivery in another machine if for
some reason your Web server is blocked in a firewall from sending messages.

In that case you need only change the delivery class from
email_message_class to smtp_message_class. Take a look at the
test_smtp_message.php script for an example.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/