multipart alternative question

edsp...@gmail.com

May 1, 2007, 12:59:46 AM5/1/07
to mimemessage-dev
I want to send an HTML formatted email for standard clients (outlook,
etc) but a simplified format for web-based clients like hotmail and
gmail.

>From experiments, it looks like hotmail displays the HTML OK, but will
not include any CSS. So I'd just like hotmail to display a text
version.

I'm going to run an experiment for this, but I'm doubting that hotmail
will choose the plain text version of the multipart-alternative pair.
Is there a way to force this to happen?

Manuel Lemos

May 3, 2007, 1:28:29 AM5/3/07
to mimemes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

on 05/01/2007 01:59 AM edsp...@gmail.com said the following:

> I want to send an HTML formatted email for standard clients (outlook,
> etc) but a simplified format for web-based clients like hotmail and
> gmail.
>
>>From experiments, it looks like hotmail displays the HTML OK, but will
> not include any CSS. So I'd just like hotmail to display a text
> version.

Yes, AFAIK all Web mail programs exclude any HTML definitions outside
the HTML body section.

> I'm going to run an experiment for this, but I'm doubting that hotmail
> will choose the plain text version of the multipart-alternative pair.
> Is there a way to force this to happen?

Not that I know. Mail programs should pick the last of the message parts
that they can display.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos