6-32 (broken) tap extractor

Jerry [HM]

Jun 28, 2022, 1:54:47 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hey everyone-

I had a 6-32 tap break off on my aluminum block (tears,…not of joy)  J

I cant use the same 'screw extractor' tools, as this is 6-32, and it’s a tap, so its very hard..

So I read about tap extractors?.. I have never seen these before myself, and am not sure to even source these locally?  (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards..etc?)

Outside of that.. is there any other possible solutions to remove this broken tap piece from my AL block?  or does anyone have a 6-32 extractor than can be used to remove this?

Thanks.. All suggestions are appreciated.

Adrian Volden

Jun 28, 2022, 2:38:05 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I have a 1/4 Tap extractor you can look at to see what they look like.
I will bring it to the open meeting tonight.

--

---

Adrian Volden
Cell Ph (414) 379-8373 Anytime

Jerry [HM]

Jun 28, 2022, 2:42:25 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Adrian!

Unfortunately.. I don’t think the 1/4 one will work, as the tap broken is a 6-32 size  (smaller than 1/4)

I have seen them on-line (kits with many sizes)..  just never seen any locally?  (but to be fair, I wasn’t never looking for them either)

Wasn’t sure if anyone knows of a (local) place to purchase?  Ace, Harbor Freight, a bag name co.?)

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 28, 2022, 3:02:00 PM6/28/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
We have a donated tap burner/spark edm machine.  It needs someone to play with it and get it set up.

This is the ideal tool for removing broken taps, it uses electrical sparks to erode the tap.

See me if you want to give it a try.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Zoran M

Jun 28, 2022, 3:04:47 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Post a picture of the broken tap in the aluminum block. There are many methods, some being better than others depending on how the tap is broken off in the hole.

Jerry [HM]

Jun 28, 2022, 3:22:35 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Its (more or less now) flush with the top of the aluminum block.

2-steps-back_v1.jpg2-steps-back_v2.jpg

Jun 28, 2022, 3:41:14 PM6/28/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom-

Never heard of this before (but sounds interesting!)   J

Not sure if it would be worth anyone's time to get it set up just for this..  ( I could probably just machine a whole new bracket, as it very simple in nature)

Thanks!
-Jerry

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jun 29, 2022, 8:30:12 PM6/29/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
Tom Klein has had decent results using acid to dissolve the steel tap out of aluminum.

Bill**2

Jerry [HM]

Jun 29, 2022, 11:15:25 PM6/29/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

oh?

Interesting.  What kind of acid?  (was this posted some where?)

thanks!

james4875

Jun 30, 2022, 1:23:46 PM6/30/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
Muratic acid.  I think there is some at Lenox with the other chemicals by the sink.

tmkle...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2022, 8:27:53 PM6/30/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
I would recommend the tap burner or a carbide end mill first. The acid is a long tedious method 3- 24 hours

Cain Yang

Jul 1, 2022, 12:01:56 AM7/1/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
What if you try putting a 1/4-20 nut over the tap and then welding the tap to the nut.  Then you can spin it off.  I saw that somewhere online.

Jerry [HM]

Jul 1, 2022, 12:58:52 AM7/1/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

There is no part of the tap sticking out to weld anything to unfortunately  L

I think I'm just going to try make another trip to speedy metals (whenever possible) to get another piece of 3/4" x 1.5" (maybe 8 inches long?) and make another one.