Looking for idea what to use

Lee A

May 8, 2024, 9:56:29 AMMay 8
to Friends of MMS
I hope it is OK to ask this question here.
I am hoping for an idea or suggestion.

I want to make a 'plug' for a glass dish. I am making a sculpture and the glass dish is part of it. I want to add something to it which will sort of fit on top of the glass dish (it's less than 6 inches in diameter). This piece needs to be removable. So I need a plug that fits onto the glass dish to help hold it in place and stabilize it.

I started with wood but the shape of the dish is too complex and it would take forever to shape it right. So I thought just pour something into the dish which will make a plug that fits correctly. I thought something like plaster, but it will be outside and so needs to be able to handle water, and I don't think plaster will. I can't think of anything else to mold with. Concrete might work but I think it comes in 50 pound bags. I probably need less than a pound. Any suggestions?
thanks
Lee

Mark Rehorst

May 8, 2024, 11:21:10 AMMay 8
to Friends of MMS
3D print?

Sara Cellucci

May 9, 2024, 3:07:45 PMMay 9
to Friends of MMS
If you don't need the plug itself to be removable, you might be able to fill it in with resin. If you do need to remove it, maybe cast it with plaster and use that to make a silicone negative mold for the resin?

On Wednesday, May 8, 2024 at 10:21:10 AM UTC-5 Mark Rehorst wrote:
3D print?

Eric Berna

May 21, 2024, 2:42:26 PMMay 21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Or just use silicone if the plug doesn’t need to be too rigid.

Eric Berna

--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not use this group for the sale of items. Remember that members@ is the list for internal to MMS discussions - reach out to info@ if you are a member and not on that list.
---