What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2021-09-27 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Sep 27, 2021, 9:55:09 AM9/27/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere. And, include
a photo if you can!

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Gabbard Photography

Sep 27, 2021, 11:12:58 AM9/27/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Just finished my first lathe project although the epoxy already gave out between the wood and metal core I’m going to rough up the surfaces and mix in some black dye to hide my gaps a bit better this go around.
image0.jpeg

Sean Derby

Sep 27, 2021, 11:44:32 AM9/27/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That looks great.  Amazing that you're able to combine the wood & metal like that

--

---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/milwaukeemakerspace/25A0A9E8-34FC-43D2-AF1F-13F1A338390B%40gabbardphoto.com.

> On Sep 27, 2021, at 8:55 AM, remmin...@2xlnetworks.net wrote:
>

> --
>
> ---

---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/milwaukeemakerspace/25A0A9E8-34FC-43D2-AF1F-13F1A338390B%40gabbardphoto.com.

Mark Rehorst

Sep 27, 2021, 2:20:52 PM9/27/21
to milwaukeemakerspace
I tried putting some glass beads in the sand table before shutting it down at the Maker Faire. I noticed that the mixture of glass and baking soda caused the ball to wobble a lot will drawing lines due to the inconsistant density/mass or the mixture.
It was not sparkly either, but if you take a picture with the flash on the camera, the beads would reflect the light back to the camera.

beads05.jpg

beads04.jpg

beads03.jpg

beads02.jpg

beads01.jpg

I shot some video, too, and I'll post links soon.

Mark Rehorst

Sep 27, 2021, 2:22:39 PM9/27/21
to milwaukeemakerspace

When I got the table back home I filled the table with just the glass beads. The ball makes a loud grinding noise as it moves through the beads, and it tends to throw them much more than the baking soda. It looks like it would be best to run at much lower speeds with the glass beads on the table. I took a few pictures with and without flash to see how it would look.

beads06.jpg

beads07.jpg

beads08.jpg

I also discovered an interesting effect- if you hold the light off to the side and a certain position you see a double rainbow in the beads. The weird part is that one eye sees one of the rainbows and the other eye sees the other.

Sarah Jean

Sep 27, 2021, 4:03:18 PM9/27/21
to Mark Rehorst, milwaukeemakerspace
wheeee!

i found sometimes the rim of my glasses would create really trippy motivational rainbows on all the retro reflective fabric i wood work on. i thought it was the light, but really the lenses!

have fun!
Hapto

Sent from my tiny device with minimal communication capabilities.

Kathryn Hughett

Sep 29, 2021, 11:24:46 AM9/29/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com, Mark Rehorst
Cool experiment. Thanks for sharing.