Do we have Solidworks licenses?

Rye

Oct 11, 2021, 10:13:14 AM10/11/21
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hey,
I'm still pretty new but I heard that we might have some licenses available for Solidworks. I know we have support for fusion but I learned on inventor and I've had college level classes on Solidworks so it would be really nice to have access to it again. I'm trying to get back into design and I think I could cook up some useful stuff for the space. I would also need to know what version we have access to so I could install that on my own machine. I couldn't find anything on the wiki and info says the google group was my best shot. Let me know if you guys think of anything.
Thanks,
Rye

Benjamin Engel

Oct 11, 2021, 11:26:59 AM10/11/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hi ryan,

I'm also new to the space but I do know that solidworks does not allow floating licenses for personal devices. Ive purchased solidworks for a number of companies and it's around $5000 plus with maintenance and solidworks standard. The best price I have ever gotten was $3800 for a single license without maintenance. I'm in the process of purchasing it for myself with the professional license. I suggest continuing with fusion as the parametrics are very similar for most basic functions in solidworks. Unless you are doing more advanced assemblies and structural analysis.

Thanks,
Ben

--

---

Jeff Mann

Oct 11, 2021, 12:18:19 PM10/11/21
to milwaukeemakerspace
MMS does have 10 network licenses of 2018. I believe the instructions are on our maker vault somewhere. You can borrow a license for a short period (one week i believe) of time by checking it out with "Solidnetwork" (the license manager) note when you do this it does lock out one of the seats so at max only 10 people can do this. That being said, I've never seen more than 3 of those seats being taken.

Benjamin Engel

Oct 11, 2021, 12:23:14 PM10/11/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That's great to know. I didn't know solidworks would allow people to borrow licenses, though I've only used it in collegiate or professional settings. I'll have to utilize this for sure.

Thanks,
Ben