3d printing polystyrene?

benjam...@gmail.com

May 15, 2023, 5:40:07 PM5/15/23
to milwaukeemakerspace
I am considering building a 1/192 scale model of the 1913 Brazilian dreadnought battleship Rio De Janeiro. The ship has a storied history, the timeline of its construction alone is wild, it was ordered by the Brazilian Navy from Britain, sold to the Ottomans halfway through construction because of the financial situation in Brazil, then requisitioned by the Royal Navy when World War 1 broke out, being renamed HMS Agincourt. The only available cast polystyrene model for this ship out there is Flyhawks 1/700 scale model of Agincourt, which is a nice high quality model kit, but Agincourt was modified in a number of ways from the original design near the end of her construction after being requisitioned. Not to mention, 1/700 is small, and I really want to make it in 1/192 scale, which is the scale many ship blueprints from the time period were drawn in. Can polystyrene be 3d printed? I know its used as supports, but what about 3d printing objects themselves with it?

Bryan Flannery

May 15, 2023, 7:03:09 PM5/15/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
You can it is commonly listed as HIPS filament.

--

---

m p

May 15, 2023, 7:26:00 PM5/15/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
You may. It get the smoothness and detail. A lot of car modelers are using resin printing because you can get perfect prints.

I am just getting started resinmorinting and have printed a few parts I’ve used like these recaro seats. They glue to polystyrene just fine. (The grey ones)

image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone