Rejoining

Jack'D

May 23, 2024, 1:27:54 AMMay 23
to Friends of MMS
I understand I need to attend meetings at both of the locations in order to join.  I think the meeting yesterday was at St Francis and you won't have another one there for another month?   I did get vouched for by Sebastian, but unfortunately my application flew out of my bike carrier on the way home :-O

Is there any way to accelerate the process? for a founding member?

Thanks and looking forward to working with everyone again!

Harvey Matyas

May 25, 2024, 8:05:09 AMMay 25
to Friends of MMS
Today is Space Improvement Day at 1:00 PM.  My understanding is if you help today, it will accelerate the process.
Check with a board member to be sure.

Jack'D

May 28, 2024, 10:43:02 AMMay 28
to Friends of MMS
Checking in again, I work on Saturdays so was not able to attend the SID.  Looks like there is not another SID or public meeting @ norwich until June 18th, is that correct?  I would be able to come to Norwich today but not sure if I could come on a BOD day.

Jack'D

May 28, 2024, 7:33:42 PMMay 28
to Friends of MMS
For future reference, the answer is no, you cannot come in on a BOD day to tour the building.  And please do not ride your motorcycle 20 -- make that 40, minutes in the rain because you also cannot come in to warm up.  I know, I know, liability -- I might drip on something ;-D

I still remember when all you had to do was attend some meetings at wendy's and pony up a year's worth of membership with a dozen or so other people to get things off the ground.  Times have changed, though, and I'm glad to see the space(s) thriving and membership cost even more reasonable than it was.

-Jack'D

Dan Jonke

May 29, 2024, 10:00:30 PMMay 29
to Friends of MMS
Nowhere on the website does it indicate that you could sign up on a day when there is a non-public BOD meeting. Indeed the very status of yourself as a nonmember, and the meeting being only for members would indicate opposite. Nobody on the BOD got back to you and told you that you could sign up last night.

So you decided to spend 40 minutes riding your bike in the rain on a random hunch you'd be able to break the rules?

I remember when the 2 big rules were "be excellent" and "don't be a dick". It was 11 years ago, and it was still that yesterday.

Sorry dude, you don't get to pass blame for your poor life choices involving rain and motorcycles.

We were busy all night in a 3 1/2 hour meeting to keep the space running so you founding types have something thriving to come back to after your 9 year absence.

If you, or any other former members want to rejoin you can visit our next public meeting at 7PM, Tuesday June 4th, in the Lenox building.

Dan Jonke
President
MMS BOD
--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not use this group for the sale of items. Remember that members@ is the list for internal to MMS discussions - reach out to info@ if you are a member and not on that list.
---

Jerry [HM]

May 30, 2024, 9:19:21 AMMay 30
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

WOW!  L

Members are the CORE of the MMS.  (is this now a private business that no longer cares about the people that support it?)

As BOD, and making this a PUBLIC response?

Does that follow: ""be excellent" and "don't be a dick". " That you wanted to quote yourself?

This is now coming off as difficult/elitist to join MMS now?   Not how I have -always- felt about the MMS.. kind, community helpful.

* This is not an appropriate 'president' level response, in any way.  This does not help/benefit the MMS reputation of what it really is.

Be nicer/helpful please.

Sarah Jean

Jun 2, 2024, 9:36:25 PMJun 2
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Jack and any prospective members following along,

Thanks for the opportunity to chase down some disambiguating information on the web/wiki.

Hopefully I got the most of it in addition to the yellow banners and signs on the doors until the Communications team can get to the rest of the tasks on the docket. (feel free to email communi...@milwaukeemakerspace.org if you see anything that remains confusing.)

In short, you cannot show up any time you want anymore, and that doesn't mean we don't care, and it does mean that we care enough to not burn out by limiting access to inquiries and new sign ups to the first and third Tuesdays  at 7pm so we can focus on the 650 members we have and the over 65000sqft of space for making.

To become a member (currently) you must:
1) attend two public/business meetings.
2) fill a form out with two current member signatures and one BOD member.
3)Must get a tour at both facilities (noting tours are given once per month at each facility.
4) some exceptions in advance can be made but should not be expected.
5) A member orientation will be rolling out shortly and this will become an additional step to help
our members know what's going on here.  The website will be updated when the program is ready to roll.

We know this feels like a lot of hoops, and without them we risk chaos from uninformed folks, and with them right now we have a 95-98% retention rate and so while none of us are perfect, this number has never been that high.

I hope this helps,
Hapto
Communications Director

Sent from my tiny device with minimal communication capabilities.

Jack'D

Jun 3, 2024, 2:18:26 PMJun 3
to Friends of MMS
Nowhere have I indicated that I expected to be able to sign up that day.  I messaged the list, which is the only place I'm aware of to get advice for prospective members, did not hear a response and took a chance.  I also emailed Tom, but did not hear back (no big deal, I'm sure he's busy if he's still involved).

It turned out that I was unable to attend.  No big deal, I wanted to try a ride in the rain, I did, I went home, I updated the list with information clarifying that BOD meetings were not open to non-members.  I did not display any rude, condescending, or angry behavior and I'm surprised to be met with such.  I did not blame anyone and I have no desire to break any rules; the rules were simply not clear and I'm attempting to clarify them and share information.  What did I do wrong?

I already attempted to attend a public meeting at the Bay View location on what turned out to be an impromptu space improvement day.  I got a member signature from Sebastian, who was nice enough to give me a tour despite my misunderstanding that public meetings were no longer every Tuesday.  Unfortunately, the form flew out of my pannier, which opened while I was riding so I'll need to fill out another form.  I'm sure he can attest to this occurring, however.

I understand that you have important work to do and I did not and did not intend to disrupt or disrespect it in any way, shape, or form.  "Things are different." is not the same as "Things are different, I disagree with them, I think you're wrong, it's your fault, and I should be able to do whatever I want because I happened to be around and involved at an early stage." in case that needs to be clarified.  The former was my intent and the latter appears to be your assumption of my intent.

When I came to Lennox, it was an impromptu space improvement day, received one signature, a tour, and a form.  I missed the Norwich meeting.  The 3rd is a meeting at Lennox, where, if my understanding is correct, I can get an official tour.  The 11th is "Member Activity - Hard drive disassembly" which is clearly marked for members only.  The 18th is the next meeting at Norwich, after which I understand I can get a tour.  I was hoping there was a way to get a tour of the other facility without waiting a month.  There is not.  All you, or anyone else, needed to say.  Please let me know if any of this is incorrect without assuming ill intent on my behalf.

Thank you,
Jack Driscoll

Jack'D

Jun 3, 2024, 2:56:30 PMJun 3
to Friends of MMS
I will admit to being puzzled - in fact, utterly baffled - as to what part of going to lengths (even if it means my own personal discomfort) to demonstrate my eagerness and dedication to becoming a member again you consider a "bad life choice".  If I didn't know otherwise about the openness and awesomeness of the members and community at the space, I would be extremely offput and offended by your response and reconsider my desire for membership.  I'll assume it was merely a misunderstanding.

Thanks again,
Jack

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 3, 2024, 3:19:51 PMJun 3
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed your email Jack, for some reason I decided it was part of your main thread.

The makerspace has grown about 10 times since you were a member and it has evolved quite a bit.
We are currently more concerned with supporting the current members and not overloading the volunteers than with recruiting new members, a noticeable change from the early days.

We are in the midst of redesigning member signup, in part to offload the board of directors and partly to encourage members to not just use the space but volunteer to support its functioning as well.

If you want a tour of the new building I am here most afternoons, send me an email directly (I'll respond this time, promise :-)  and we can find a time that works.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Jack'D

Jun 3, 2024, 5:05:50 PMJun 3
to Friends of MMS
Alright, sounds good.  Thanks for clarifying.  I am eager and excited to be a member again, especially now that I know how to weld! (although I know training is still required and will take time)  Looking forward to being a productive member of this great Milwaukee resource! (and will be sure to volunteer time to support its existence, as I have when I have had the opportunities)

Thanks again and my apologies if I offended anyone