What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2024-07-08 edition]

Pete Prodoehl

Jul 8, 2024, 10:50:17 AM (9 days ago) Jul 8
to MMS-Public

Hello Makers! It is now time to share... What have you been hacking on or making?

Include a photo and/or link if you can and show us something neat!

~[ * __ * ]~

Mark Rehorst

Jul 16, 2024, 4:00:49 PM (yesterday) Jul 16
to Friends of MMS
I made a plant stand from a piece of Honey Locust I bought at the habitat for Humanity ReStore in Oak Creek:

plant stand showing legs.jpg

The legs are 1" iron pipe. The whole thing weighs about 70 lbs. It 65" long, about 17" wide, and stands 29.5" high.

Steven Birkholz

Jul 16, 2024, 4:37:49 PM (yesterday) Jul 16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous finish!
Sent from my iPhone

--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not use this group for the sale of items. Remember that members@ is the list for internal to MMS discussions - reach out to info@ if you are a member and not on that list.
---

Mark Rehorst

Jul 16, 2024, 9:11:11 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 16
to Friends of MMS
Thanks, but it looks a lot better in the picture than it does up close. I'm going to have to study finishing techniques a bit.
The bottom side had more interesting grain, but I wasn't happy with the finish. I suspect part of the problem was the humidity. I let it dry 8 hours between coats of poly (you're supposed to be able to recoat in 2), but when I sanded the previous coat it was still a little soft and gummed up the sand paper.

attaching legs.jpg

Mark Rehorst

Jul 16, 2024, 9:13:22 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 16
to Friends of MMS
You can see the grain better in this picture:

plant stand oblique.jpg

Steven Birkholz

Jul 16, 2024, 9:27:46 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Mark
Best glass finishes (with least effort) I’ve done on wood have been using “French polish technique.”

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2024, at 8:13 PM, Mark Rehorst <mark.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can see the grain better in this picture:

<plant stand oblique.jpg>

--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not use this group for the sale of items. Remember that members@ is the list for internal to MMS discussions - reach out to info@ if you are a member and not on that list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of MMS" group.

Mark Rehorst

Jul 16, 2024, 9:33:19 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 16
to Friends of MMS
I'll look it up.  Thanks!