Can you help with my stainless steel issue?

Pete Prodoehl

May 2, 2023, 10:27:46 PM5/2/23
to MMS-Public

Can someone help Jim Spencer?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Hi Pete, not sure how to post a public message. Can you help with my stainless steel issue?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 23:24:04 +0000
From: Jim Spencer <jspe...@trustantinsurance.com>
To: ras...@gmail.com <ras...@gmail.com>

Cutting holes in sheet stainless, do we have a hydraulic hole punch?
JS
Jim Spencer
5/2/2023 6:08
View more
Hi everyone,. I am trying to cut 1 1/2-inch holes in stainless sheet metal. I keep ruining my panel  and drill bits. Is there a hydraulic whole punch or something similar at either of the spaces? I'm drilling at the lowest speed possible and it takes forever or heats up.  thanks Jim Spencer.

Get Outlook for Android

Get Outlook for Android

Jeff Mann

May 3, 2023, 5:35:49 AM5/3/23
to milwaukeemakerspace

Unfortunately 1 1/2” isn’t a trade size so a standard hydraulic punch like those for electrical won’t work. Also if it’s over 12 gauge the punch might not do it. Your best bet is a quality 38mm carbide hole saw with a bunch of cutting fluid (we use oaty cutting fluid from hd). The biggest problem with stainless is it work hardens as you cut so you have to really put a lot of force behind the bit to cut effectively.

Jeff

JAMES Spencer

May 3, 2023, 7:26:08 AM5/3/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.  The material is lighter gge.  I've been using a hand drill at home to cut the holes after fabbing at makerspace. I'll use a drill press and better cutting oil.  Regards,  Jim

--

---

m p

May 3, 2023, 7:38:53 AM5/3/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I have had some success in the past with Cobalt bits that n thing material with lots of oil and slow walking my press, but as other mentioned SS properties make in an in material.

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Gralewicz

May 3, 2023, 9:37:48 AM5/3/23
to milwaukeemakerspace
How precise does the hole need to be?  What is the hole for?

rod...@rodneydickman.com

May 3, 2023, 9:53:42 AM5/3/23
to milwaukeemakerspace
I have a large unibit. Largest step is 1.360".  To use that in stainless one should be on a HD drill press and very low speed. Piece should maybe be clamped down so it does not jamb and spin possibly hurting someone.

Rodney

wwill...@wi.rr.com

May 3, 2023, 12:58:16 PM5/3/23
to milwaukeemakerspace
THere is a Hydraulic chasis punch kit in the Norwich metal shop.  I don't know if it has the size or capacity for your project, but you should take a look.

Bill**2