Styrofoam

Billy Halbur

Jun 17, 2024, 9:57:09 AM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to Friends of MMS
If I make a styrofoam sculpture, what could I do the the surface to make a hard outer coat?

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 17, 2024, 6:06:47 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Fiberglass!

That's how we built the Weinermobile.

The Dalek folks know how to do it.

Pete

On 6/17/24 8:57 AM, Billy Halbur wrote:
> If I make a styrofoam sculpture, what could I do the the surface to
> make a hard outer coat?

Dan Jonke

Jun 17, 2024, 8:36:24 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Caution:

Some fiberglass resins (Like stuff used in bondo, for example) Will dissolve
styrofoam. Learned the hard way on old projects. Since I only figured this
out after the fact. I worked around it by skimcoating the whole piece in
elmers glue before glassing ontop of it.

Dan
--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional
audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 17, 2024, 10:18:23 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Dan, I forgot that part!

I thought maybe we documented it but alas, all I could find was a photo of what appears to be the Wienermobile coated in glue before the fibeglass process on this page:

  https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/_detail/projects/wiener-frame.jpg

  https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/projects/wienermobile

(Also, this is why it helps to document your projects... Not just for other makers but for your future self!)

Pete

Adam Gabbard

Jun 18, 2024, 2:20:50 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
We did something like this in college as one of our foundation studio assignments using the pink insulation foam. We then coated it with Durham's® Interior/Exterior Rock Hard Water Putty to sand and spray paint it.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 8:57 AM Billy Halbur <itsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I make a styrofoam sculpture, what could I do the the surface to make a hard outer coat?

--
Friends of Milwaukee Makerspace - A group for reaching a Midwest regional audience dedicated to making. Be kind, keep it on topic, and please do not use this group for the sale of items. Remember that members@ is the list for internal to MMS discussions - reach out to info@ if you are a member and not on that list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of MMS" group.

Maya Looney

Jun 18, 2024, 2:20:59 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Wood glue! A couple coats and it can take spray paint without melting and makes a good base for further finishing :')

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024, 8:57 AM Billy Halbur <itsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I make a styrofoam sculpture, what could I do the the surface to make a hard outer coat?

Marshall P

Jun 18, 2024, 5:29:22 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Mod podge/PVA glue  works great too and is generally cheaper than wood glue.
Sent from my iPhone