Local Film seeks 3D printers to help make Model City

Zach Erdmann

Sep 16, 2021, 4:02:08 PM9/16/21
to milwaukeemakerspace
Howdy folks,

I'm a local film producer working on a feature-length comedy-thriller called "Corridor." You can learn more about the film at our website and watch a teaser trailer here

We're gearing up to film most of the interiors of our film this November - December, and one of our key locations is a "model city" in the office of an urban redeveloper. If you've seen Die Hard think of this like the giant model Frank Lloyd Wright bridge in the CEO's office. In the final shootout of our film, a character falls dramatically across the model city as he dies. Since we will likely need multiple takes of this dramatic fall, we want the city to be built of pieces that are sturdier than the usual architect's cardstock. We hope someone (or someones) from the makerspace might be able to help us.

Our admittedly naïve idea is that if the city were built of a few dozen large 3D printed buildings, we could "reset" the buildings between takes and they might be sturdy enough to topple over dramatically and still be reusable.

The best visual reference for what we are looking for is the model of Chicago viewable in the Chicago Architecture Foundation office. Scale and level of detail is something we would need guidance on, since that model was built bespoke and no one needs to die on it. We're a small indie production, so our budget isn't enormous, but we will happily negotiate a fair rate with the right person.

Thanks,

Zach Erdmann ModelCityNorthview.jpg

ModelCityLayout.jpg