What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2023-05-30 edition]

Pete Prodoehl

May 30, 2023, 9:57:16 AM5/30/23
to MMS-Public

Hello Makers! It is now time to share... What have you been hacking on
or making?

keeping you busy, either at the space(s) or elsewhere.

Include a photo and/or link if you can! Show us something neat!   ~[ *
__ * ]~

Gabbard Photography

May 30, 2023, 9:59:44 AM5/30/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Turned parts of an old baseball glove into a keychain for my sister and nephew.
image0.jpeg

Pete Prodoehl

May 30, 2023, 10:01:51 AM5/30/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Great use of upcycling old baseball gloves!

Pete

Jerry [HM]

May 30, 2023, 10:46:13 AM5/30/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Finally tackling an aspect of my project to detect/control liquid output.

* Initial approach was going to be using a 'flow meter', but reading on-line/feedback seems to allude that they are actually not very accurate?  (odd if that’s the intended purpose?)

* Was suggested that weighing is better/more accurate approach.... hence the adventure started!

Got my first load sensor cell 'kit' off Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQPV6C4

Nice little 'kit'.. to play with/learn from..  but in the end was just not going to physically fit/work for my current project.

After some searching.. and guessing/hoping.. I ended up buying and hacking apart a digital scale form Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gram-digital-scale-60332.html

I was curious to see what sort of load cell sensor was being used in this, as it was smaller, and physically might fit my needs.

In the end, it was the same 'bar' shaped load cell sensor, but was physically smaller, and would fit my needs.  (box/specs stated it only supported up to 1kg of weight though).. almost at my max.. but didn’t want to really limit my project.   Was suggested that the 1KG limit might just be the code/software..etc

I hacked apart the HF scale, to keep a portion of the body/enclosure, the metal (top) plate, and the connected load cells sensor.  I removed the LCD screen, the amp board and the default buttons.   I then took apart the Amazon kit form above to use the HX711 amp board, with the load cell sensor from the HF scale.

It worked, but the HX711 board is/was set to run @ 10SPS by default.. after lifting one of the pins (from GND) and connecting it to +5v.. it now runs @ 80SPS.. which gives much faster feedback.

I have finally implemented the hacked 'Arduino friendly' scale.. into the cup-holder base.  I am now at the point where I can swap out the cup-holders with the new scale based one, and start 'testing'   Code has been updated already...(but not clue what best way to handle this? currently just a weight checking loop, but should have some sort of future/smoothing algo implemented to plan for future weight targets?)

hx711_rate_pin.jpg

bb_cup-holder_new_2.jpgbb_cup-holder_new_3.jpgbb_cup-holder_new_4.jpg

--

---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/milwaukeemakerspace/b155cfdc-7f89-7bc6-7247-3be3823a8a03%40gmail.com.

image001.png
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

Steven Birkholz

May 30, 2023, 12:31:09 PM5/30/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I turned a few bowls and finished pedestals off a few pedestals from the everlasting wood supply:

image0.jpeg

mbucc...@comcast.net

May 30, 2023, 12:32:10 PM5/30/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
From scratch acoustic guitar build. I'm just now back from a 3 week stay in southern California where I took a guitar building class with Luthier George Leach. I came home with a deep-body OM acoustic guitar. Honestly one of the neatest experiences in my life. I can't call myself a guitar maker (yet) but I def have a much better grasp of all the steps, techniques, tools, jigs, etc. that go into the process.

Jun 1, 2023, 11:03:46 AM6/1/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been carving a few hammer handles and finally got them finished and released into their native habitats.  If you use one at Norwich, I’d be interested to hear your feedback on the feel and function.

Luke

--
Luke A. Burkholder, PhD

Jon Drayna

Jun 2, 2023, 9:51:08 PM6/2/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I made an oriole feeder with a piece of spalted maple I found in the Norwich trash.
oriole feeder 3.jpg

Steven Birkholz

Wilfrido Castillo

Jun 3, 2023, 12:28:14 AM6/3/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That’s cool!  I’d love to hear how it sounds. It’s beautiful.

Am taking guitar lessons, finally, after teaching myself. Some bad habits crept in that are stubborn to unlearn.

W. Castillo

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 4, 2023, 5:36:22 PM6/4/23
to milwaukeemakerspace
Wolfgang made a table, I stuck a TV in it and plugged in a video microscope.

Norwich meeting room now has a microscope.

I'll do training until I can talk someone else into helping.

PXL_20230604_210859509.jpg

Jerry HM

Jun 4, 2023, 6:11:56 PM6/4/23
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com