What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2021-09-06 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Sep 6, 2021, 9:55:06 AM9/6/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere. And, include
a photo if you can!

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Mark Rehorst

Sep 7, 2021, 9:28:53 AM9/7/21
to milwaukeemakerspace
I been generating new sand table patterns for the makerfaire:

circle.jpg

heart01.jpg

rose.jpg

I also started working on a Perl program to post-process pattern files to draw the pattern slowly while zipping around the edges of the table at 1000 mm/sec. That preserves fine detail in the pattern but speeds up drawing time compared to running the whole pattern at the low speed. I manually edited a file to test the concept- it shaved >10 minutes out of a 29 minute low speed pattern, so I think it will be worth the effort of re/learning Perl. Video of the test here- the edge speed changes about midway through the video in case you don't want to watch the whole thing.

And I made a stand for a surround speaker:

stand.jpg

Its printed in PETG, 1.2 mm line width, 0.5 mm layers, two walls, used about 283g of filament, and took about 2.5 hours to print on UMMD at 50 mm/sec.

Don Rozwick

Sep 7, 2021, 9:48:20 AM9/7/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Mark,
 Those are awesome.

--

---
-Don Rozwick

He who slings mud generally loses ground.

   Adlai Stevenson

Pete Prodoehl

Sep 7, 2021, 10:00:29 AM9/7/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I've been messing around with Pocket Operators latey and I used an
Arduino to sync up a DMX light to one.

   https://www.instagram.com/p/CTdm2CMDgWk/

Pete

Kathryn Hughett

Sep 11, 2021, 12:50:02 PM9/11/21
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Mark,
Your Sand drawings seem to have more depth to them. Did you change the medium or the ball?
I love the speaker stand. Such a pretty blue.