New Member Training/Certification

Bari

Aug 2, 2022, 2:38:42 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm interested in becoming a new member and am wondering if there is some quick way to get certified to use the tools. I am a scientist with my own CNC shop and lab but I'd like to join just for fun. Is there any way to do this over say over a weekend vs a la carte over several days/weeks?

Steve Pilon

Aug 2, 2022, 3:34:33 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
What kind of CNC machine do you have?

Sarah Jean

Aug 2, 2022, 3:56:07 PM8/2/22
to Bari, milwaukeemakerspace
Hi Bari!

Because we are volunteers with unique and different schedules and different tools are needed by different members, it's unlikely to get it all at once. (also, it's a lot of knowledge. It's good to let the specifics and idiosyncrasies of our space "sink in" and prioritize what you will use the most to minimize the drag on the volunteers as resource.)

You are however, welcome to try and schedule with each of us as tightly as you can.

Also remember to request trainings on the members only board or privately via contact info/process on the wiki and champion board in the Lenox building, this group is our open/public list, and there's folks all over the country in here.

Cheers,
Hapto
MMS LaserLab Co-champion

Sent from my tiny device with minimal communication capabilities.

Jerry [HM]

Aug 2, 2022, 4:03:23 PM8/2/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

From the outside looking in.. Doubtful.

Each area has its own 'area champion' that does most of the teaching/certifying future un-supervised use.  Some are here, some are away..   you'd have to coordinate with many people (and their schedules) to get that to materialize.

--

---

Bari

Aug 2, 2022, 5:39:16 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
I build custom CNC machines, robots, automation equipment, etc. etc.

Harvey Matyas

Aug 2, 2022, 9:00:26 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
Bari

If you join, I am the trainer for the Mogul CNC.  It uses LinuxCNC.  I am retired and I prefer training during the weekday in the morning or afternoon.  I will be
gone for about 2 weeks in later this month.

Harvey

Bari

Aug 2, 2022, 10:16:00 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hi Harvey,

Thanks!

I'm a LCNC dev. I've probably designed many types of machines using LCNC. What version are you running and what did you use for the controller, e.g. PC + LPT + BOB or Mesa cards,  RPi4 + Mesa or??

-Bari

Bari

Aug 2, 2022, 10:37:04 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace

"Tb6560 Stepper Motor Driver Controller that is controlled via parallel port."

Harvey Matyas

Aug 2, 2022, 10:48:40 PM8/2/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Bari

It looks like this although it did not come with Mach 3.  Also, at Norwich there is a Stepcraft I believe D840.
It works and Marcus and I are setting it up.  It is near the 5 by 9 CNC.  It works, it needs a spoilboard and
minor items to make it workable.  Although I am retired, currently I have limited time at the makerspace. Because
of a pending trip, my wife is further restricting when and how long I can work on projects.  When I get back in
September, I may have more time.
This is the material that me and another member put together for the Mogul.  It is a little dated.  There is now a spindle with
a speed controller.  Also, there is a USB game controller for the X,Y, and Z axis.  Once you become a member we can work some
training out.  It takes about 30 minutes or so.  The makerspace also has a Makerspace copy of Vcarve Pro.  Basically you
download the free version which does everything except create gcode.  When you bring your project on a computer that has the
Master Vcarve Pro, you download your project, it'll ask do you want a license (or something like that) and you say yes and now you
can save gcode to be used on the CNC.

Harvey

--

---

Bari

Aug 2, 2022, 11:59:53 PM8/2/22
to milwaukeemakerspace
Harvey,

Thank you for the info. I have all my own CAD/CAM tools MasterCAM, NX, SW, Creo, Catia etc etc. I'll try to take up as little of your time as possible.

Jim Rawson

Aug 3, 2022, 12:11:40 AM8/3/22
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bari, If you are capable of negotiating the internet,  try visiting the Makerspace website and WIKI to find out the procedures we use to grant access to our space and tools.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/milwaukeemakerspace/69e66486-8478-4405-bde5-7e75711a8163n%40googlegroups.com.